rear brake caliper

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my FZ6 for moto gymkhana but the rear brake is causing me a real headache. It gets used a lot and gets very hot so I have fitted dot5 fluid, braided hose, EBC HH pads and a heat sink to the top of the caliper to soak some of the heat away.
After only a couple of minutes the brake starts to make horrible groaning noises and soon after it gets really grabby making it difficult to modulate the brake with any consistency. Anybody got any ideas, I have considered getting a twin piston caliper off something else and getting an adaptor mount made but this is going to be expensive so any other options gratefully accepted.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the rear brake is used very hard.

Have you tried replacing the caliper piston seal with new, just to make sure it is fully releasing?

I would think someone would make a wave rotor for the FZ. I'm guessing that would help dissapate heat vs the stocker considerably..

Note, a couple of years ago we were at a motorcycle "stunt" event, stoppies, wheelies, circular burn outs, etc(pretty neat actually, all 600cc bikes).

On one bike, I noticed TWO separate calipers on THE REAR ROTOR.

One rotor was plumbed normally, the other to a lever on the bars (for more control when their standing on the seat). I would think something like that could be adapted. A larger rotor would also spread some of the heat as well..

You'd probably get more idea's at an event looking at others bikes and what their using...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a different purpose... i.e. able to stand on seat and have a hand operated rear brake. Could help tho, adding more friction surface.

If you look at some of the Wilwood and Brembo caliper "sysyems" you may notice extra plumbing. They have systems to recirculate the fluid out of the line & caliper and back to the reservoir for cooling. So on e you let off the pressure, rather than returning to the same line, it takes different line to get cooled before being used again.
attachment.php
fore next use. Set you back some $$$$$...

attachment.php

Another options is to take two oem caliper mounts and weld them together with the addon indexed at 5 Oclock.
That takes care of the pads but the disc will be glowing.