Rear Axle Nut Substitute?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a commonly available nut I can use temporarily to replace the rear axle nut while the real one ships to me? I did something stupid last week.

First, I let my chain get too loose, to the point that it was slapping the underside of the swingarm on a left turn. I check it once a week or so, and I ride 2 hours a day. This sudden expansion is the chain's way of telling me it's going to be retiring soon, and that's fine, it's had a decent life of 20k miles and I haven't been incredibly good to it (lots of lube but no cleanings, ever.)

So I stopped for lunch at a place and realized what the problem was, finished my food and went out to the parking lot to fix it with the stock tool kit. Took the rear axle nut off, adjusted the rear wheel back until the chain had 2-3 inches of play, and then ... fate intervened. A guy pulled up right next to me on a black '09 FZ6. We chatted for about 15 minutes, nuce guy, just got the bike recently. I have this problem, though, where I can't work and talk at the same time effectively. I ALWAYS forget something when I'm distracted.

The second part of how I did this is my Arai helmet. When the top vent is closed and the wind hits it just right it makes this incredibly loud clarinet reed sound, it's annoying as hell. So On the way home that day (Friday) I heard it faintly and thought "oh you damned helmet, no problem I'll just turn the podcast in the earbuds up louder." Problem solved. Except that it wasn't the helmet, it was the bike. Thus, yesterday I'm on the way home again from work and I realize it ISN'T the helmet, oh sh_t what is it, I'd better pull over and check. And whaddya know... no rear axle nut. I had been riding without one since lunch on friday, and this was monday night. The axle hadn't moved, and the whine I heard was an alignment issue I think, I'm going to re-check it today.

Meanwhile I searched like hell and couldn't find a thread where anyone had asked this - is there a nut one can go pick up at a store (automotive, hardware, etc) that fits that bolt?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I'm going back - seriously, already planned it. Going there first, then going to try a Sears I guess for the nut if I didn't find it in the parking lot.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a while since I removed my rear wheel, but is there really anything special about it? Couldn't one just go to Ace or something like that? At least for a temporary fix? At least mine isn't castellated or anything...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If there's a couple of MC shops in the area, you might look there for a used one if the hardware store doesn't have anything that big...

It sucks but your real lucky nothing worse happened...

Good luck.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Nuts | Fastenal

Probably not going to find that in the store, though. No locknuts in that size, either. Sure beats $80 though!

edit: Gilles lists 18x1.5mm for both the S1 and S2... the one on my S1 sure looks bigger than 18mm... :confused:
edit squared: Pro Bolt shows 24x1.5mm for both, that sounds more like it. They have stainless or Ti axle nuts. :p

Last edited:

Gimper

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a 5 day bike trip with a couple of buddies this summer. we went to Lacoinia bike week. Before I went on my trip i checked to makesure everything was ok. When we left my friend remembers looking at the rear wheel and seeing the axle nut. Well, at some point during the trip i lost the rear axle nut and had drove back twisty roads, went up Mt. Washington, rode on the Highways. We were on our way back and stopped to put on a sweatshirt under my jacket cuz it was a cold morning and we were just about to get back on the bikes when the same friend noticed that i was missing the rear axle nut. not knowing when it flew off was scary but the next 80 miles of driving knowing i had nothing on there was the most nerve racking experience i think i have ever had. We looked at a NAPA store and they didn't have any big enough that were the correct thread. they offered to cross thread it but i opted to keep looking. we ended up going to a John Deere store and they actually had one that was tapered so it started too big but the outside fit perfect and was the correct thread. He went in to get a wrench and came out with another lock nut that looked like it was meant to be on the bike. (he found it in a junk pile). I asked how much and he said just make it home :). I must have checked that wheel 100 times on the way home which was over 5 hours away. I had everything checked out when i got back and luckily no noticable damage. i will forever keep that nut for a reminder.

all the hardware stores i went to didn't have any that were the right size they only carried up to 19 or 20 mm

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so here's what happened...

The nut was no longer in the parking lot where I took it off. Trust me, I looked eeeeeeverywhere. Then I went to a BMW/Volvo repair shop down the road, and they didn't have anything. Then a car parts place, and the car front axle nuts were all really close but nothing fit. Then an ACE hardware which had something the right diameter but with threads WAY too coarse, and finally a motorcycle shop that does repairs too.

The guy at the counter checked the computer and a drawer, and said "nope nothing." So as I was leaving and getting on the bike, the head mechanic came out of the back and said "what's holding it on?" meaning my axle. "A stainless hose clamp." He nearly sh_t himself, and refused to let me leave until they found something. 45 minutes later they wound up pulling one off of one of the shop employees' 2006 Kawi ZX6R - same diameter and pitch - and then rung me up on a website for a new one to replace it. $11 and I rode away all set. The shop is Performance Cycles. These same guys unloaded this bike from a Ryder truck for me 4 years ago when I moved here, no hemming and hawing about insurance or damage or charging me or whatever, just "sure thing" and did it perfectly. Nice folks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so here's what happened...

The nut was no longer in the parking lot where I took it off. Trust me, I looked eeeeeeverywhere. Then I went to a BMW/Volvo repair shop down the road, and they didn't have anything. Then a car parts place, and the car front axle nuts were all really close but nothing fit. Then an ACE hardware which had something the right diameter but with threads WAY too coarse, and finally a motorcycle shop that does repairs too.

The guy at the counter checked the computer and a drawer, and said "nope nothing." So as I was leaving and getting on the bike, the head mechanic came out of the back and said "what's holding it on?" meaning my axle. "A stainless hose clamp." He nearly sh_t himself, and refused to let me leave until they found something. 45 minutes later they wound up pulling one off of one of the shop employees' 2006 Kawi ZX6R - same diameter and pitch - and then rung me up on a website for a new one to replace it. $11 and I rode away all set. The shop is Performance Cycles. These same guys unloaded this bike from a Ryder truck for me 4 years ago when I moved here, no hemming and hawing about insurance or damage or charging me or whatever, just "sure thing" and did it perfectly. Nice folks.

Its nice to hear someone going above and beyond for a fellow biker. It says alot about the business! :)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on that!

I had a similar experience but with one of the stock rear fender bolts. Stopped by the Kawi dealer near my house and spent 30 min digging thru an old nut and bolt bin they had, ended up giving it to me for free.

Pay it forward is NEVER a bad thing:thumbup:

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Nuts | Fastenal

Probably not going to find that in the store, though. No locknuts in that size, either. Sure beats $80 though!

edit: Gilles lists 18x1.5mm for both the S1 and S2... the one on my S1 sure looks bigger than 18mm... :confused:
edit squared: Pro Bolt shows 24x1.5mm for both, that sounds more like it. They have stainless or Ti axle nuts. :p

I was actually going to suggest checking a Fastenal. I used to work at one of these stores...if it's not on their website just call in and talk to a guy at a local store -- they can get ANYTHING. They can also do a lot of custom size bolts, nuts, and some machining type things -- great place. The employee discount at one of those was incredible.