Reading Posts With an Accent

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
This is totally random but I figured it could make for interesting discussion:

Do you ever read certain people's posts with a different accent in your head?

Considering that the forum is relatively diverse with people from quite a few spots of the world, I think it would be one of the more likely to experience this. We all probably have an idea of what people from the different areas might sound like when they speak.

I have to admit that when I see people use words that aren't commonly used in my area, it sort of triggers this and I might hear a little bit of accent from other people's posts.

Kinda weird, just wondering if it happens to anyone else.

W

wrightme43

No but sometimes I spend several minutes trying to figure out what the hell our Aussie friends have just said, then just give up cause seriously I dont have a clue.

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
No but sometimes I spend several minutes trying to figure out what the hell our Aussie friends have just said, then just give up cause seriously I dont have a clue.

Be thankful you're reading it and not listening to some of them. :thumbup: When I lived there I used to go to lunch with one of the guys I worked with - only ever understood maybe half of what he said. I just sat there and nodded along as he talked. He was probably telling me what an arse I am and I just kept nodding in agreement. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well when I'm reading what these guys from down under post sometimes I try to read it upside down!

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Well when I'm reading what these guys from down under post sometimes I try to read it upside down!

This might be the funniest thing I've read in a while. :thumbup:

I'm disappointed nobody does the accent thing. Oh well. I'm just mildly crazy, I swear.:Flash:

W

wrightme43

I have had some conversations when really really drunk, with really really drunk Scots. I remember Uchan Baer (sp?) means whiskey or the water of life. and a whole lot of WTF was that guy trying to say?????

LOL

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have lived in Colorado most of my life....but moved out here from Tennessee. My husband still teases me about "fixin', reckon, & ya'll". Guess some things never leave ya!

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL,I had a rep come and see me yesterday from a printer company.He had just moved here from Glasgow.If I didn't know the company I would not have had a clue what he was trying to sell me !

W

wrightme43

Dead Horse = spaghetti sauce.

Yep thats why nothing makes any sense. LOL LOL

You guys rock.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Dead Horse = spaghetti sauce.

Yep thats why nothing makes any sense. LOL LOL

You guys rock.

If this works in reverse then every time someone brings up a subject that's been gone over too many times they are "beating the spaghetti sauce."

Take that how you will.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
fye tiiiiepd like eye sowwwned eyed beee herrrrr awwlll niiiiiite!! LOL really i've got a really bad southern draw.I sound like a drunken moron in person,and i curse ALOT!.....I've heard my self on tape and thought I sound like an idiot!!!:rockon:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
If the text is really deviated from the english language, then yes I find myself reading in my mind whatever silly accent.

I find it funny some british people not only pronounce "what" "wot", but that they actually spell it that way on the internet.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Us Brit's have had neighbours and Home & Away on the Tv schedules for 20 odd years so have an idea of how the Aussies speak. As for the Americans a diet of the A-team, Airwolf, Dukes of Hazzard etc etc gave us the inside track.

What amazes me is how well the danish guys write English. Presuming they are not native English speakers their written syntax is very good, better in fact than a lot of english people I know!!

Now I'm just putting on me whistle and going down the apples and pears to talk to the trouble and strife about the bin lids

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hehehe, great topic. Can't say I read them in an "accent", but I generally look to see where they're from if I'm having trouble understanding a written bit.

Now I'm just putting on me whistle and going down the apples and pears to talk to the trouble and strife about the bin lids

Ok, I got the Stairs, Wife and Kids... WTF is "ya whistle"???

:)