RainCity Spring Cleaning Build

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys, it's finally time I start contributing some content around here. Here is a long overdue introduction of my bike. It looks a little rough around the edges after being knocked over by a lady leaving a parking spot. Definitely in need of some TLC. I've been looking forward to doing some maintenance and upgrades and finally have a little bit of time. Goals are:
  • Install r6 forks
  • Stainless steel brake lines
  • Replace cracked fairing
  • Adjust valves
  • Sync throttle bodies
  • Coolant flush
I also have an s1 header and am hoping to decat the midpipe as well if time permits.

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

All torn apart:

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

Last edited:

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
First question. Previous owner installed Rizoma turn signals which you can see are mounted at the bottom of the brackets for the side bags. When I purchased the bike one of signals was non functional despite the PO claiming it worked days before. Few months later I took a look and redid the ground on one of the blinkers and it worked great! Only problem is shortly after that I started to experience my time clock and trip clock would randomly reset every time or every other time I got on the bike. Any idea what could be the problem?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re-setting of the clock/trip meter is a result of loosing power to the gauge. Either a loose connection, or more likely a failing battery.

Load test the battery(free at most auto parts stores), or you can put a voltage meter on the battery when cranking. A good battery should show about 12.8 sitting. Cranking, it'll drop roughly to maybe 11 volts.

Yours, loosing the clock, is likely dropping WAY BELOW that, probably 6-8 volts..

The signals and loosing the clock are very likely two different issues...

Just curious, looks like you tore the bike down a bit far for your mods.... ???

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll check the battery and take a look at the connections. I did notice for the first time that when I started the bike to move it over to my shop the gauges were flickering. The tach would drop to 0 then come back to idle, and err-1 came up for a moment then vanished. Seems like it may be loosing power.

As far as taking the bike apart, I wanted to do a bit of deep cleaning, buff all the plastics, pull the exhaust, inspect the clutch cable, etc. What did I remove that made you wonder?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with above.... two seperate issues.

Observation; although the FZ can balance on the rear tire and center stand with the forks and fairing removed, I would NOT suggest relying on a hydraulic jack to keep anything up long term as you may get a big surprise when your bike is on the ground after the jack bled down....

You get the rear brake issue sorted out?

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Good tip on the jack. I used straps last time to support the bike from the ceiling. Will have to rig up something more sufficient.

Here was my setup last time with a bunch of ballast in the boxes:

f737c124c731923b4771af77a2466d7d.jpg

I have not sorted out the rear brake but it's on the list. In the air everything lines up pretty decent.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As of this moment the forks and fairing are off of mine and I saw that upon removal of the remaining fork the CG (center of gravity) allowed it to settle on the rear... In a controlled environment I'd leave it, but there are critters and wood is abundant. Simply press on the seat and push a stack of 2x4" under the header. Problem solved.

Currently there is a thick blanket on the tank in case something flies through the shop. My thought when leaving her was that blanket would also make a nice roost for that damned cat and that could be unfavorable. lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A simple, screw, scissor jack (likely in the trunk of your cage), fits nicely under the header and won't bleed out.

I have one from an old crown vic (with a block of wood attached to the top) that seen more of my header than the Crown Vic... Very steady....

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Bonus picture of all the parts laid out. No idea about what order to go about this. Three biggest things are valves, r6 forks, and exhaust.

IMG_3961.jpg

On a side note, anyone have a carbtune I could borrow with shipping paid both ways? Do the r6 forks take a 43mm fork seal driver like the stock forks?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a plan. Do them with "this exhaust", fire it off, warm it up make sure all is well with it a bit more quiet as the S1 header will make it louder.

Where did you find a black S1 pan? Nice find!

After running it a bit, maybe 25 to 50 miles, drop the oil, header, pan and get anything out knocked in from valve adjustment.... Install the new pan, header, oil and move on....

JM2C grab a new pan gasket and the oil pick-up tube seal to the pump. If it leaks air you fry the engine. Also you need a super low scale torque wrench for the pan bolts. Last little bit, you have an S1 decat pipe to toss in there?

Have fun!!!

Last edited:

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the oil pan and headers from thisisdylan's part out. Didn't realize the pan was black until today. Was that only on 2006MY? Here is the soon to be midpipe:

51192292293__AEF9DE20-5DDF-47EC-8951-8975C1FE5241.jpg

Randy, when you deleted the cat in the midpipe did you use the stock ends, s1 ends, or a combination of both?

Made it to the valves!

IMG_3977.jpg

Found some lovely wiring from the PO I will have to clean up:

IMG_3975.jpg

Here she is at the end of day 2:

IMG_3980.jpg

I have a new pan gasket but didn't realize I need a seal for the pickup.

Last edited: