Radiator fan jammed

pauloissler

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All.
I am new in the forum. I live in the SF Bay Area, have a 2008 FZ6. Bought it new.

I just came back from a trip to Santa Cruz - nice ride through Highway 1. No problems while in the highway - temp meter solid at 160-170 F all the way. However, after getting there (during the stops and goes in town) I noticed the temp meter reached a bit more than 243 F. The red temp light went on. I checked the radiator fan and it was jammed up. I would thing the fuse is gone at this stage.

Form DC-Mac's description, it sounds like something that happens frequently. I have some questions that maybe you guys can help me out.

1) How easy is to replace the fan by myself?
2) Do I need to drain the coolant to replace the part?

Thanks in advance.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
It could just be a rock in there... typical problem with the fans. Inspect it well and wou just may find a rock or pebble in there stopping the fan from turning.

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
If the '08 is similar to the '05, you should be able to do it with little problem. I just changed the spark plugs and had the radiator loose. Take out the lower radiator bolt and the clamp bolt on the right side radiator hose. Take out the top right radiator mount bolt and pull the radiator slightly to the left. ( there is only 1 bolt on top, The other is just a pin that slips in.) This should give you enough working room behind to access the fan if you have smallish hands.

I would definately check for the stray rock and blown fuse first.

If you need to drain the antifreeze, there is a drain plug on the side of the water pump. (Be sure to get a new copper washer before you remove this. Also, you'll need to loosen the radiator cap. There is a locking screw on it. The system only holds about a half gallon. Buy the 50-50 premix that specifies good for aluminum engines. You'll also need a long funnel to refill the radiator. Look at the service manual at the 20,000 mile service section. I've found the step by steps very accurate.

pauloissler

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the help. Your description is easy to follow and it looks feasible giving my lower than average mechanical skills.

I have the rock out. It is amazing how it got there and jammed the fan! The fuse is gone but unfortunetely it did not prevented the motor to short circuit.

I have just ordered the new fan - $ 170.00. It will take a few days to have it here. In the meanwhile I am bikeless :(

Many thanks again.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait till tomorrow and try it again. The fan turns on at 212-213 deg. Some motors have thermal trip circuits and they need time to reset. I'm not sure if the FZ fan has this type of feature but try it in the morning