Quick question - How to remove drive chain

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
The service manual says to use a "Drive chain cutter". Whatever that is. How do I remove it? Move the rear wheel forward enough to take it off, or what?

Depends if you want to use it again, but assuming you want to fit a new continuous chain you will need to take the swing arm off, so no need for the cutter.

If you don't have a master link to remove, then yes, you need to first GET a master link then cut a link to remove it. Reassemble with the new master link.

If you don't have a master link to remove, then yes, you need to first GET a master link then cut a link to remove it. Reassemble with the new master link.

Hmmm, don't know if I would feel comfortable riding a bike with a master link in the chain... my old 50cc had one but that was it.

Hmmm, don't know if I would feel comfortable riding a bike with a master link in the chain... my old 50cc had one but that was it.

EVERY aftermarket chain comes unassembled with a masterlink.
I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you're riding a turbo busa.

Argh! I just wanted to take it off to clean it, no can do without putting a masterlink in it apparently. Thanks for the replies! I'll just do my best with it on.

Back