Question of the day, December 22, 2007

H

HavBlue

Continuing with fun facts and bears, of the known bear names we all hear, which one is actually not a bear. No, it is not a giant panda as these are in the Ursus family and a true bear.

Bonus question: What was Smokey bears real name?

onoirgobragh

Reaction score
Visit site
The Koala is often called a Koala bear, but it's not a bear, it's an australian marsupial.

I won't answer the bonus question, because I had to look it up.:p

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
The bearcat is not a bear, and its not a cat either.

I should know the bonus question, I was Smokey at a Loggers Jamboree years ago. Though it did end badly when the ice vest didn't come with the suit and the little fan in the head died. A drunken child hating Smokey is apparently on the list of "Bad Things":ban:

H

HavBlue

The Koala is often called a Koala bear, but it's not a bear, it's an australian marsupial.

I won't answer the bonus question, because I had to look it up.:p

This was actually the first correct answer posted either here or by PM. The Koala is Phascolarctos Cinereus and yes, it is a marsupial.

There have been more than a few of you playing with the answer to the bonus question. To give you a hint, it has nothing at all to do with the name we came to love and recognize world wide. That name, Smokey Bear is often misused as "Smokey the Bear." His name was correctly pronounced "Smokey Bear." Go back to where Smokey was originally found and the circumstances under which he was located by Forest Service personnel of the time. Here you will find the answer to Smokey's real name as given by those personnel. Remember, Smokey was a cub at that time...

Let the Google games begin.....