Question about having 2 bikes???

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new FZ6 this year after 5 years of riding cruisers and have to say I have really enjoyed the FZ for 75% of my riding. But there is an issue. I do not enjoy riding it on the highway as I find it very light weight and much more easily pushed around by crosswinds and truck blasts. And,the windscreen does not reduce the wind blast on my upper chest. Also, at 50+ years old my girlfriend will not ride pillion on it as it is both uncomfortable and too scary.

So I have been thinking seriously of picking up a 2002-2006 cruiser with a windscreen and passenger backrest for those days I need to ride the highway or I can get her to come along for a ride. ( I can't afford two new bikes, but could afford $3-5K for a good used cruiser).

My question is, does anyone else have this situation?

If you do , do you find yourself actually getting use out of both bikes?

And again, if you do, what cruiser do you ride that is both stable on the highway and comfortable for two up riding for those of us in mid-life?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can totally see your point and don't think it is a bad idea at all.

Perhaps you can have the best of both worlds? How much carving do you do Less? Are you a knee-dragging-wannabe or touching down? ;) Or, are you the sporty yet graceful corning guy? If it is the latter of the two, perhaps looking into an FJR1300 would be a great choice? Then, you have the bulk and weight that will not get pushed around, the fairing and adjustable windscreen for highway comfort and the very comfortable ride for a pillion. Top it off with the removable hard cases and you can sport ride as gracefully as you'd like! You can even drag a knee if you desire! Then, you wouldn't have to maintain two rides.

Just food for thought. :rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new FZ6 this year after 5 years of riding cruisers and have to say I have really enjoyed the FZ for 75% of my riding. But there is an issue. I do not enjoy riding it on the highway as I find it very light weight and much more easily pushed around by crosswinds and truck blasts. And,the windscreen does not reduce the wind blast on my upper chest. Also, at 50+ years old my girlfriend will not ride pillion on it as it is both uncomfortable and too scary.

So I have been thinking seriously of picking up a 2002-2006 cruiser with a windscreen and passenger backrest for those days I need to ride the highway or I can get her to come along for a ride. ( I can't afford two new bikes, but could afford $3-5K for a good used cruiser).

And again, if you do, what cruiser do you ride that is both stable on the highway and comfortable for two up riding for those of us in mid-life?

Myself and significant other take the FJR on any far trips, (more than an hour). Fast, hard luggage, and comfy... Beating around town, myself or two up, the FZ6. If I want to make some noise, the FZ... Myself, in heavy traffic around town, running errands, my KLR...

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You get use if you make time for it. ;) It's a choice I make dependent on my mood. I've put more miles on the FZ6 than my cruiser since I've owned it.

My cruiser is a Honda Shadow Sabre. It was the lightest and most nimble cruiser I could afford. It' weighs about 600lbs and has enough scoot to get around even 2-up, hydraulic lifters and shaft drive so there's nothing but gas and oil. :thumbup:

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I can totally see your point and don't think it is a bad idea at all.

Perhaps you can have the best of both worlds? How much carving do you do Less? Are you a knee-dragging-wannabe or touching down? ;) Or, are you the sporty yet graceful corning guy? If it is the latter of the two, perhaps looking into an FJR1300 would be a great choice? Then, you have the bulk and weight that will not get pushed around, the fairing and adjustable windscreen for highway comfort and the very comfortable ride for a pillion. Top it off with the removable hard cases and you can sport ride as gracefully as you'd like! You can even drag a knee if you desire! Then, you wouldn't have to maintain two rides.

Just food for thought. :rockon:
Definitely more of the sporty yet graceful, not dragging any knees but can appreciate the difference between the FZ and the Vulcan 800 I had previously. When I get on the FZ I really do enjoy it, but don't expect I'll ever push it anywhere near it's corniering limits.

Hadn't really thought about going up to an FJR/ST1300/Concours type bike, but that might be an answer, just didn't really want to take the depreciation hit on the new FZ I'd have to eat if I got rid of it after one season. I wonder if my 09 FZ6 and $3-5K could get me into say a 06 or newer Sport Tourer?

I am familiar with the National Powersports website. I hear good things about them. Will check out their inventor on these type of bikes. Thanks.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Less, that link was directly to the two FJR bikes they have in stock. ;) Can't hurt to at least go and talk to them. If the deal is sour, you're in the driver's seat and can politely walk away from the deal. :D I'd even go on Sat and meet you there. We can tag-team the guy and beat them up on pricing and trade value. :thumbup:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I can add to this tread. I first bought a 2006 Stratoliner for that very purpose of riding two up with my wife. We are both in our late forties. I then bought the 2006 FZ6( i have had my M1 for more than 30 years) I have just never had a bike since I have been married. Any way....I ride the hell out of the Fazer. 3 to 4 times per week to work, around town running errands. The idea that we would be come a motorcycle couple is now a fading thought. She doesn't dig it as much a I hoped that she would. The Stratolounger sits alot....dont get me wrong.....its a great bike.....but the fz is more fun to ride. The Battery Tender is hooked up to the Strat and it is ready to go at any time. Would I do it again? hell yes..in fact I am looking at a 2006 Buell xb12ss right now. Is the Buell the Tucker of motorcycles???? Maybe thats for a new thead
I bought a new FZ for 6 this year after 5 years of riding cruisers and have to say I have really enjoyed the FZ for 75% of my riding. But there is an issue. I do not enjoy riding it on the highway as I find it very light weight and much more easily pushed around by crosswinds and truck blasts. And,the windscreen does not reduce the wind blast on my upper chest. Also, at 50+ years old my girlfriend will not ride pillion on it as it is both uncomfortable and too scary.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Less, I recently sold my VTX1300R to my Dad (for cheap of course:D). I can honestly say that it is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It is like sitting on a lazy boy cruising down the highway. It feels very sturdy. I have had female passengers of around 200 lbs and did not even feel them back there. The rear seat is much bigger than the FZ's. I did not have very much time to ride both, but it was my intention to get my Dad the bike to go cruising with me anyway. If you have a lot of time to ride both, then it may be a great idea for you! Here is a pic of the VTX.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Less, that link was directly to the two FJR bikes they have in stock. ;) Can't hurt to at least go and talk to them. If the deal is sour, you're in the driver's seat and can politely walk away from the deal. :D I'd even go on Sat and meet you there. We can tag-team the guy and beat them up on pricing and trade value. :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer to tag team them. Can't do it this Saturday, but I have a feeling this will be an all winter idea that will have plenty of time to percolate. And, with the economy being what it is there will be inventory there. Probably by the Spring riding season I'l have a better idea of.

1. Will the girlfreind and I still be going strong? :confused:( it's only been 3 months so far)

2. If yes, then how many weekends will I be heading from my house to her summer house in Falmouth (on Cape Cod) and doing the 90 miles each way highway ride?

3. What are the chances of convincing her to ride pillion as we do some comfortable cruisng around Cape Cod's quaint backroads and villages next summer?

If the answer is YES to all of these questions then either a cruiser (as a second bike) or a bigger Sport Tourer will be a need by Springtime.