psychosomatic or something wrong !!

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Let me begin by giving some background info.

One of the reasons for choosing the Fizzer was the due to the ease of ride the bike gave me. When you lean into corners you just 'point and squirt' and the bike does the rest for you.... lazy rider i know :Flash:

Last year whilst touring in Scotland i had a low speed 'offie'

I was taking in the scenes in Scotland saw a right hander too late leaned into it hit gravel in the middle of the road and ran into the rough. The bike threw me off at about 5-10 mph and laid to rest in the greenery.

When i picked the bike up and finished having the p*ss taking out of me by my mates i checked the bike and she had a dent on the downpipe and thats it !!! very lucky....

But now when i go into a right hander instead of the bike just leaning into the corner the handlebar wants to turn into it and i have to keep the bar from turning in which i have never done before.

I suppose my question is is it all in my head or could i have done some damage that cant be seen by the naked eye ie could i have damaged my forks or could i have unbalanced my front wheel.

I would be grateful for any help or advice :surrender::surrender::surrender:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I am by no means an expert, but i was told that one should always realign their forks after any kind of accident.

Basically, just loosen the top fork clamps, retighten to specs.

Loosen everything down from the top fork clamp, ie lower fork clamp, pinch bolt, wheel axle.
Press your suspension down a few times to let things self align.

Tighten to specs in the correct order. Lower fork clamp, wheel axle, pinch bolt.

Also make sure your bars are not bent, they bend easily and it can be hard to see.

A couple videos on the subject if you want to see it done:

I think it is worth having a look at the Dave Moss serie "Two Clicks Out", a lot of cool information in it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8]Delboy's Garage, 'How-To' Re-align motorcycle forks the easy way. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT1HOb3hreI&list=PL1B7D504E2A5CE493]WERA ZX6 Two Clicks Out Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to that; ^^ With the aid of tape measure confirm your bars are still centered from left to right. They can shift in the clamps and it could be off a fair amount and not be obvious until measurement is made from the clamp.

To determine set back or bend you need some kind of straight edge off the clamp and confirm both side are back an equal amount at the bar ends.

Also, once your bars are straight, stand in front of the bike and confirm the wheel is dead ahead after making changes.

The frame will not bend so that leaves the tail section which CAN BEND and move the seat off center. If you measure from the center of the steering stem to the tail section or grab handles it should give you an idea (may have to remove the tank and seat?). Be sure to look it over real well as that could make a strange feeling if you are not centered over the bike.
If knowing the bike is proper helps, those are actions you can take ^^.

I highly recommend you get into a large secluded parking lot and practice S turns, figure 8's, going down and back within the parking space lines to practice tight cornering and leaning skills. 3 30 minutes sessions will really help your low speed skills and point out deficiencies in "LEFT vs RIGHT" maneuvering skills.

Good luck!