proper lane-splitting technique?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I completely agree...just continues to give us a bad rap....because of one person.

Also did not see any other motorcycles in the whole video, seems the other riders are smart enough to find a nice back road to take to there destination!

Not all cities or the areas we all live in are the same....lets see how smart you are finding a nice back road to take in LA during rush hour traffic.

A lot of you are fogetting the whole point about lane splitting. Studies have shown that it is safer for the bikes to keep on moving (safe speed) rather than beeing sandwiched inbetween a bunch of metal where we are more prone to getting rear ended because we become much more difficult to see. I myself, have been guilty of not paying attention during stop n go traffic and find myself almost rear ending the vehicle in front of me. Add a bike in front of me, I probably wouldn't see it at all before it's too late. Especially these days, where traffic is at a stand is an exuse for everyone to start yabbing on their cell phones or even worse, start texting or surf the web. Drivers are paying less and less attention these days, even more reason to start splitting. Just a nice option to have, if a riders feels more comfortable not doing it, that his or her choice and there is nothing wrong with that.

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, 1st I'll say this, my "opinion" is more from a cager perspective than a biker. I've only been on a bike for a month. While I see the benefit, I am not sure how that out ways the danger. Even the best rider could get caught out by some cager not paying attention. When traffic backs up or cars are stopped there attention shifts from the primary objective. They then start to think like a biker, how can I get there a bit quicker. Hmmmm an opening, think I'll take that....Bammm... Where its legal congrats and ride on. Where its not but people do it, fine that's your call. Whether I like it or not, is not relevant. What kinda confuses me is why its the cagers problem. Lets face it, you took a risk and need to accept your consequences, because when it comes right down to it, its the splitters fault if something happens. Have I broken the law or acted irresponsibly? Yup. Will I do it again, yup. But I can guarantee you when I do, its my problem. Yes the guys in these videos have been acknowledged to be the problem in these instances but I find hard to understand how the cagers are expected to pay attention for actions we commit that are illegal. We cant even get the cagers to pay attention when we are riding legally.

As a side note I enjoy this forum because of the lack of shots and nastiness that often accompanies these forums.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Not all cities or the areas we all live in are the same....lets see how smart you are finding a nice back road to take in LA during rush hour traffic.

A lot of you are fogetting the whole point about lane splitting. Studies have shown that it is safer for the bikes to keep on moving (safe speed) rather than beeing sandwiched inbetween a bunch of metal where we are more prone to getting rear ended because we become much more difficult to see. I myself, have been guilty of not paying attention during stop n go traffic and find myself almost rear ending the vehicle in front of me. Add a bike in front of me, I probably wouldn't see it at all before it's too late. Especially these days, where traffic is at a stand is an exuse for everyone to start yabbing on their cell phones or even worse, start texting or surf the web. Drivers are paying less and less attention these days, even more reason to start splitting. Just a nice option to have, if a riders feels more comfortable not doing it, that his or her choice and there is nothing wrong with that.

<BAITING>
Heh, heh, heh...until you're "splitting" in an area where "someone" who doesn't happen to agree with you "accidentally" gets in your path suddenly (sadly, during my daily 26 mile commute, I'm seeing more and more people who are starting to "reach their limit") and doing "sudden/unintentional" things to get in other drivers ways...then what??? How do you 'splain that one in traffic court or a defend a civil law suit for injuries resulting from the "incidental/accidental" contact (and if splitting is illegal, YOUR responsible whether you KNOW you're not at fault) resulting from your desire to "split"; oh by the way, physics suggests a 400-500 pound vehicle just about ALWAYS loses to a 1000+ pound vehicle (and inanimate objects don't KNOW a rule from a hole in the pavement) - especially at speed.
</BAITING>

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
<BAITING>
Heh, heh, heh...until you're "splitting" in an area where "someone" who doesn't happen to agree with you "accidentally" gets in your path suddenly, then what (sadly, during my daily 26 mile commute, I'm seeing more and more people who are starting to "reach their limit" and doing "sudden/unintentional" things to get in other drivers ways)??? How do you 'splain that one in traffic court or defend a civil law suit for injuries resulting from the "incidental/accidental" contact (I'm pretty sure if splitting is illegal, YOUR responsible whether you KNOW you're at fault or not) resulting from your desire to "split"?? Oh by the way, physics suggests a 400-500 pound vehicle just about ALWAYS loses to a 1000+ pound vehicle and inanimate objects don't KNOW a rule from a hole in the pavement - especially at speed.
</BAITING>

(ooops...fixed the typos above)

p.s. This "air cooled...overheating..." thing doesn't fly too well (IMHO) if the bike is water cooled. I drove a 250 CC, 2 stroke (air cooled) cycle in the late 70s in heavy traffic (some of which was in southern CA) with no problems/overheating. Why didn't anyone "lane split" back then??? Relatively speaking, traffic was just as congested (the key words here - "relatively speaking")...oh well, to each their own, ill advised or not :) :confused: :Sport:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
We could go on and on about this lane-splitting debates, but the bottom line is simple:

1) statistics in the US and a number of other counties have shown that proper lane splitting is safer than staying in traffic.

2) any motorcycle journalist/author/motorcycle guru (David L Hough, moto journalist & author of Proficient Motorcycling, or Harry Hurt, one of the top motorcycle figure in the US, author of the Hurt report...Nick Ienatsch, -do I really need to introduce him?- racer, journalist, author or Sport Riding techniques etc...etc...) all support lane splitting if done properly.

I am not sure what else people need... I`ll repeat myself, but imo, ppl against lane splitting simple don`t know what "proper" lane splitting means. Everytime you guys bring up example of lane splitting creating problems, they involve some stupid rider being irresponsible and not following the basic rules of lane splitting (thus doing it in an unsafe manner, and consequently illegally)... so why blame lane-splitting and not the riders?

I suggest you read this article: Motorcycle Lane Sharing - Surviving the Streets - Motorcycle Cruiser
Or this site LaneShare.org

:thumbup:

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
I traveled to Bogota, Colombia last summer and there were bikes everywhere and they did lots of lanesplitting but it is common there. It isnt common all over the U.S. so if you go to a different city that isnt use to it there could be a problem.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
<BAITING>
Heh, heh, heh...until you're "splitting" in an area where "someone" who doesn't happen to agree with you "accidentally" gets in your path suddenly (sadly, during my daily 26 mile commute, I'm seeing more and more people who are starting to "reach their limit") and doing "sudden/unintentional" things to get in other drivers ways...then what??? How do you 'splain that one in traffic court or a defend a civil law suit for injuries resulting from the "incidental/accidental" contact (and if splitting is illegal, YOUR responsible whether you KNOW you're not at fault) resulting from your desire to "split"; oh by the way, physics suggests a 400-500 pound vehicle just about ALWAYS loses to a 1000+ pound vehicle (and inanimate objects don't KNOW a rule from a hole in the pavement) - especially at speed.
</BAITING>

I will agree that splitting lanes other than California, where cagers are not accustomed to that type of technique riding can pose a problem. That is why I'm very selective when I do it here in Las Vegas, one because it's not legal, and two I try to do it when traffic is at a complete stop or at a crawl where the gaps are minimal. If I wreck or cause I wreck, most likely it will be my fault. I'm aware of the risk. But just because it's illegal doesn't mean I won't do it. I will do it at my discretion on a need to basis. It's illegal to drive 5 mph over the posted speed limit, but we all do it from time to time, just depends on the situation. As far as the law of physics 101 class you have provided, 400 lb vehicle losing to a 1000 lb + vehicle, that is the exact reason why I choose to filter.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so where does it stop? Next thing you know, splitting along SOLID YELLOW LINES dividing opposing lanes of traffic will be "OK" to do (according to your "common sense...conditioned") before too long. And to everyone reading this from other countries, the U.S. has different driving conditions/attitudes/etc. than "FILL_IN_YOUR_COUNTRY/CONTINENT" here (much as there are VAST differences between the driving attitudes/conditions between the E.U. and say, South Africa or Australia or Russia or...). I'm speaking to where I live, New England, U.S.A.

I again pose the question - where does it stop??? More to the point - why do we even have rules/laws and have to demonstrate we possess the qualifications (written and practical) for the PRIVILEGE to possess a drivers license (no matter WHAT the class)?? One thing *I* learned early on (hammered into MY perspective on life - I'm 53 and an old fart by some standards) - we all have certain RIGHTS but along with those "RIGHTS" ("privileges") comes the OBLIGATION to take advantage of those RESPONSIBLY and in a manner that it does not ENDANGER anyone ELSE's "rights" (not to mention safety and mental well being - ever considered what happens to "that other guy" when they cause a serious injury because they reacted to YOUR carelessness???)! But that's just me :) :confused:

Yes yes yes - but we're talking about splitting at slow speeds and in places where it's legal. We're not suggesting that anyone go split at high speeds down the mass-pike!

I don't see what is so alarming about filtering when traffic is at a crawl...I'm talking 1st gear here. And filtering to the front of a light when traffic is stopped.

In one sentence you talk about causing physical harm to people because you disagree with them and mention rage issues, yet on the other hand you talk about the importance of not taking someone else's safety into your own hands.

Where does it end, I'm not sure. I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion as we're not talking about stem cells or anything. :D

Anyone know how long this has been NOT AGAINST the law in California?

Last edited:

Lt_Red

Reaction score
Visit site
who was that directed at? no need for name-calling. if it was directed at wavex then you sir will have to answer for your crimes.

I challenge you *slaps in face with white glove* to a DUEL!

Swords at noon.

OMG sorry no offense I was directing it to the idiot filtering at 90mph in the video. I seem to have recieved a warning from a moderator aswell. Jeez. Maybe I'll just stay out of these conversations :(

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG sorry no offense I was directing it to the idiot filtering at 90mph in the video. I seem to have recieved a warning from a moderator aswell. Jeez. Maybe I'll just stay out of these conversations :(

haha no need to stay out of convo's man, if anything take MORE part in convo's and people will get to know you better. :)

just the thing is with text it is tough to get a feel for what youre saying sometimes which is why phrasing becomes very important.

lol, in any event, ya, take more part in convo's and not less.

enjoy~

:thumbup:

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeaap is 10 FWY in LA pass downtown....LOL
I used to live there and it was very very bad traffic is like sitting in parking lot
I heard from my dad who work in PD that CA people does that and is basically common senses of how you doing it...
Going to fast in line splitting is like no turning back if something happen
It all depend on the rider it self I believed....
I was born in Jakarta Indonesia and if anyone ever been there then they know how crazy line splitting there with no gear as well...
I had my time back then and I wont do it here..too risky and too old...:D
Is fun for sure and it only take an inch of car to ruin riders...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, I met this Indian dude last night who basically sounded like the most terrible person on the planet.

He thinks it's okay to drive his bike high/drunk and his car too while being chased by police.

In India, he was drinking and riding with no helmet with a passenger on the back and came to a checkpoint. On his turn, he gunned the bike and took off and the police officer threw his baton to hit the passenger in the back, but they got away...i mean...how STUPID can you be?

shadiness will come back!