proper lane-splitting technique?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion holds firm that lane splitting is dangerous mostly to cagers not bikers.

Whether you`re ready to split lanes or not is anyone's personal choice, but how is lane splitting dangerous for cagers? I am confused. Do you have examples (or even just one example) of a cager who died because of a motorcyclist who was splitting lanes?

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Whether you`re ready to split lanes or not is anyone's personal choice, but how is lane splitting dangerous for cagers? I am confused. Do you have examples (or even just one example) of a cager who died because of a motorcyclist who was splitting lanes?

I don't have an example it's just my opinion that it is common sense that no one in a car expects a motorcycle to be in between them and another car while moving. I myself, when in a car, don't look to see if a motorcycle might be coming in between me and the car next to me. Cars like bikes swerve in their lane slightly enough to hit a motorcycle thus causing damage to their car and possible cause a serious accident. Even today motorists are not taught to look for motorcycles lane splitting. Though common in other countries I can bet that they are taught to look for lane splitting motorcycles.

But here are a few examples...tell me these motorists expected to be put in harms way?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs"]YouTube - Motorcycle Crash Lane Splitting[/ame]

Article http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_6102562

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
it's just my opinion that it is common sense that no one in a car expects a motorcycle to be in between them and another car while moving.

That's because you live in NJ. No offense, but it's common sense that people get conditioned to expect a motorcycle to split when they live in areas where it is not illegal. The 16 y/o that has been watching bikes split his whole life will quickly learn to get along with lane splitting bikes when he/she starts to drive....it becomes part of the traffic culture.

Splitting in NJ is more dangerous than splitting in CA because no one expects it in NJ and EVERYONE (sans the tourists etc.) expects it in CA.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
That's because you live in NJ. No offense, but it's common sense that people get conditioned to expect a motorcycle to split when they live in areas where it is not illegal. The 16 y/o that has been watching bikes split his whole life will quickly learn to get along with lane splitting bikes when he/she starts to drive....it becomes part of the traffic culture.

Splitting in NJ is more dangerous than splitting in CA because no one expects it in NJ and EVERYONE (sans the tourists etc.) expects it in CA.

Well it seems we have more sense not to legalize it here. Its a danger to all...no matter what state you live in. But the one video is from CA...why didn't the driver expect the biker? He is supposed to know to look if your statement is supposed to hold water.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it seems we have more sense not to legalize it here. Its a danger to all...no matter what state you live in. But the one video is from CA...why didn't the driver expect the biker? He is supposed to know to look if your statement is supposed to hold water.

Are you serious???? Why do people run RED lights???? I just realized your mind is already made up....I guess there is no point discussing this with you.

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to Defy's comment, it sounds to me like we have a lot of ppl that have their mind set against lane-splitting... which is a shame imo, as it doesn`t help us motorcyclist get the rights that we deserve on the road.

Even in CA, most drivers DO NOT expect or look for motorcycles at all, no matter if they are splitting lanes or not.

It does not really make any difference though, as we should always assume that cagers don`t see us.

I still strongly believe that ppl against lane splitting are confused. As mentioned earlier in this thread, this video is NOT a good example of lane splitting... because you see stupid ppl lane split dangerously doesn`t mean that splitting lane is dangerous. It is not more dangerous than any other type of riding IF DONE PROPERLY.

Have you ever had a cager (with no motorcycle experience) tell you that you are crazy for riding a motorcycle? They`ve probably seen kids ride like a-holes and made a link in their head that this is how everybody rides... you guys who are against lane-splitting are making that exact same mistake in your head... you think that everybody splits lane at 90mph between traffic... that's ridiculous... splitting lanes at 15mph between non-moving cars is neither dangerous for the rider nor the cager.

Lt_Red

Reaction score
Visit site
Idiot. We dont dent we die.

[edit] I seem to have recieved a warning for this post. let me make it clear that I was calling the rider in the video an idiot, and not any of you. Jeez.[/edit]

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my opinion on lane splitting...it seems others get personal in defense...If I did get personal I apologize but i wont apologize for my opinions.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have an example it's just my opinion that it is common sense that no one in a car expects a motorcycle to be in between them and another car while moving. I myself, when in a car, don't look to see if a motorcycle might be coming in between me and the car next to me. Cars like bikes swerve in their lane slightly enough to hit a motorcycle thus causing damage to their car and possible cause a serious accident. Even today motorists are not taught to look for motorcycles lane splitting. Though common in other countries I can bet that they are taught to look for lane splitting motorcycles.

But here are a few examples...tell me these motorists expected to be put in harms way?

YouTube - Motorcycle Crash Lane Splitting

Article http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_6102562

this guy was going waaaay too fast he was going so fast he couldnt react in time to miss that car. his fault imo.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a few dents :D

Just my opinion on lane splitting...it seems others get personal in defense...If I did get personal I apologize but i wont apologize for my opinions.

You talked about having more sense than those that are for it....pretty cut and dry right there. Oh yeah, and any time you use "common sense" in a sentence, chances are you're going to offend somone unless you make it clear you're not trying to. But no offense taken :thumbup:

this guy was going waaaay too fast he was going so fast he couldnt react in time to miss that car. his fault imo.

+1 Looks that way to me

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Idiot. We dont dent we die.

who was that directed at? no need for name-calling. if it was directed at wavex then you sir will have to answer for your crimes.

I challenge you *slaps in face with white glove* to a DUEL!

Swords at noon.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's for sure!

I was just trying to explain to you what "safe lane splitting" was about... obviously, you don`t care much about that and prefer to stick with "I don`t care what you guys say, my opinion will never change and I think lane splitting is dangerous to cagers"... ok then :thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
who was that directed at? no need for name-calling. if it was directed at wavex then you sir will have to answer for your crimes.

I challenge you *slaps in face with white glove* to a DUEL!

Swords at noon.

:rof: I think he was referring to the video... but maybe not :D

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont care if thats legal anywhere...I think lane splitting is a hazard moreso to the unsuspecting cagger than the bike. Another video that gives our type of motorcycle and rider a bad rep.
I completely agree...just continues to give us a bad rap....because of one person.

Also did not see any other motorcycles in the whole video, seems the other riders are smart enough to find a nice back road to take to there destination!

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
In major citys in Europe, if you dont use lane-splitting technique, you'd better sell the bike... Or see the engine overeating 'till it burn in flames.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont care if thats legal anywhere...I think lane splitting is a hazard moreso to the unsuspecting cagger than the bike. Another video that gives our type of motorcycle and rider a bad rep.

AGREED!!! I can't tell you how many times I see this happen while I'm driving my "cage" and wish I could just OPEN MY DOORS in the path of stOOpid squids like this!! Just because we run on 2 wheels does not, IMHO (and according to the instructor of my m-cycle safety course), give us any more (or LESS) special privileges on the road.

Sorry, this type of behavior brings out the "road rage" in me.

:Flip: :squid:

You want to play with your own life/safety, feel free to do so but DON'T be the cause of endangering someone else's (ESPECIALLY mine!).

:eek: :(

p.s. <RANT>Not that it may matter much, but I (too - like a few other posters here) have a "Class A" license (commercial truck driver's license)...people who behave this way have NO right to complain about "aggressive" driving or truckers who driver irresponsibly/hog the road; what's next, "splitting while texting"??!!</RANT>

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
AGREED!!! I can't tell you how many times I see this happen while I'm driving my "cage" and wish I could just OPEN MY DOORS in the path of stOOpid squids like this!! Just because we run on 2 wheels does not, IMHO (and according to the instructor of my m-cycle safety course), give us any more (or LESS) special privileges on the road.

Sorry, this type of behavior brings out the "road rage" in me.

:Flip: :squid:

You want to play with your own life/safety, feel free to do so but DON'T be the cause of endangering someone else's (ESPECIALLY mine!).

:eek: :(

p.s. <RANT>Not that it may matter much, but I (too - like a few other posters here) have a "Class A" license (commercial truck driver's license)...people who behave this way have NO right to complain about "aggressive" driving or truckers who driver irresponsibly/hog the road; what's next, "splitting while texting"??!!</RANT>
Yah!!!!!!! What he said!

It brings out the road rage in me too! can't stand to watch it.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"lane splitting" is a common thing in Central America,having lived in Guatemala, this scared the hell out of me.:eek:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Devil's advocate says "by your definition, parked cars are also proceeding in the same direction"

Ah...I've lurked long enough...I'll bite (again)...

Yes! And it's probably not a wise idea to "split" parked cars either (again, from the perspective of the "other" drivers who are NOT expecting a vehicle to come out of between 2 parked vehicles); and yes, technically, vehicles that are stopped in traffic that are side by side, and NOT moving (IMHO), are "parked" (however temporarily)...when did "defensive" driving become "go aggressively where the open space presents itself; just don't make me have to come to a full stop"???!!! :eek:

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site

OK, so where does it stop? Next thing you know, splitting along SOLID YELLOW LINES dividing opposing lanes of traffic will be "OK" to do (according to your "common sense...conditioned") before too long. And to everyone reading this from other countries, the U.S. has different driving conditions/attitudes/etc. than "FILL_IN_YOUR_COUNTRY/CONTINENT" here (much as there are VAST differences between the driving attitudes/conditions between the E.U. and say, South Africa or Australia or Russia or...). I'm speaking to where I live, New England, U.S.A.

I again pose the question - where does it stop??? More to the point - why do we even have rules/laws and have to demonstrate we possess the qualifications (written and practical) for the PRIVILEGE to possess a drivers license (no matter WHAT the class)?? One thing *I* learned early on (hammered into MY perspective on life - I'm 53 and an old fart by some standards) - we all have certain RIGHTS but along with those "RIGHTS" ("privileges") comes the OBLIGATION to take advantage of those RESPONSIBLY and in a manner that it does not ENDANGER anyone ELSE's "rights" (not to mention safety and mental well being - ever considered what happens to "that other guy" when they cause a serious injury because they reacted to YOUR carelessness???)! But that's just me :) :confused: