Problems with shifting to first from dead stop

mehranir

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have a 2009 FZ6 with 7000 miles on it. From time to time but not always I have problems shifting to first only when I want to move from dead stop. It simply refuses to engage. So what I have to do is let the clutch go and reengage it right away for the first gear to work! Obviously this could be quite problematic with traffic behind! Any thoughts?

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
You are having problems going from neutral to 1st after coasting to a stop? Did you try rolling the bike forward or backward a few inches to line up the transmission?

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're in another gear when you stop, I think you have to roll the bike forward a little in order to shift back to 1st.

:don'tknow:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a normal phenomenon in sequential manual gear boxes, which basically all motorcycles have. It isn't meant to be shifted while sitting still. As others have said, either rocking the bike a little or gently letting out the clutch until it just barely hits the friction zone will enable you to shift again. You'll learn to basically hit first just before stopping or frankly neutral to avoid this problem.

The important take home is that there is nothing wrong with your transmission based on what you've told us.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could always pull the clutch and put it into first as you come to a stop in traffic, either engine breaking a bit in 1st (easing it), or leaving it idling as you come to a stop. This works for me. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a normal phenomenon in sequential manual gear boxes, which basically all motorcycles have. It isn't meant to be shifted while sitting still. As others have said, either rocking the bike a little or gently letting out the clutch until it just barely hits the friction zone will enable you to shift again. You'll learn to basically hit first just before stopping or frankly neutral to avoid this problem.

The important take home is that there is nothing wrong with your transmission based on what you've told us.

+1 on just let the clutch out while in neutral. Pull the clutch lever back in, it'll slip into gear, normal...

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I really hope you aren't shifting in to neutral at stop signs or traffic lights...Put it in first when coming to a stop, BEFORE you stop. I drop mine in to first gear once my speed gets below 15ish mph.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
To further dpaul's point, there are a couple of specific safety reasons for being in 1st before coming to a complete stop. Do it always so that when you really need it, you're ready to go.

Personally, I put it into first around the idle speed of 1st gear (~6 mph). Clicks in like butta.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to rule out a couple more things:

Ensure your clutch cable is in good condition. Should pull light and smooth if it's well lubed.

If it's kinked, notchy or frayed it'll be more difficult to disengage the clutch for a shift.

Also it shouldn't start to engage real close to the grip. Engagement should be set to somewhere around halfway out.

If you've lowered your gear lever recently it might be getting obstructed when kicking it down causing intermittent problems.

mehranir

Reaction score
Visit site
Admittedly, I have been shifting to neutral when I come to a stop to save my clutch from wearing prematurely! However, I understand everybodys point and make sure I am on first and stay on first while I stop. Thanks again everyone.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Admittedly, I have been shifting to neutral when I come to a stop to save my clutch from wearing prematurely! However, I understand everybodys point and make sure I am on first and stay on first while I stop. Thanks again everyone.

I always shift into first just before coming to a stop and putting my feet down, much smoother shifting when you are rolling!

I will leave it in first at a stop light until traffic comes to a full stop behind me, then I will drop it into neutral if it is a long light cycle. Like you said, no sense in wearing your clutch for no reason. Before traffic is stopped behind you need the ability to make a quick evasive maneuver so be in gear!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always shift into first just before coming to a stop and putting my feet down, much smoother shifting when you are rolling!

I will leave it in first at a stop light until traffic comes to a full stop behind me, then I will drop it into neutral if it is a long light cycle. Like you said, no sense in wearing your clutch for no reason. Before traffic is stopped behind you need the ability to make a quick evasive maneuver so be in gear!

I do the same keeping a close eye on the mirror and driver in the mirror!

PS - my clutch condition/oil brand & type, have so much drag that dropping it into gear is never an issue. Insert "C L U N N N N N N N K" here! :rolleyes:

OP - Does you bike NO do the Yamaha "CLUNK" when dropped into gear?

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Went out for a ride this evening, while slowing for a roundabout I shifted from 2nd to 1st.. give it gas - rpm jumps idly, alright, no problem - false neutral and this happens. I'm still rolling, pull in my clutch, try to hit first - no go! It just makes a clicking sound, like the shift forks are not engaging the shift drum and rather skimming on the grooves if I understand this correctly. Tried like 7 times till I got it right.

Another time, slowing down to a stop, I pull in the clutch and click all the way down from 6, again 2nd -> N and I can't hit 1st, all this while moving at at least 5mph. I stop, do this a couple more times, rocking the bike back and forth seems to help, but remember this happened before while moving.

Didn't happen again. I get quite a lot of false neutrals either way, up or down shifting, I think I need to stop preloading the shifter between 1st and 2nd. What do you guys think about all this?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
... .... ....
I think I need to stop preloading the shifter between 1st and 2nd. What do you guys think about all this?

Agreed. You likely are not allowing the lever to return to center, thus it really doesn't stand a chance of working (if that makes sense).

Also, you may need to change the angle of shifter to better suit your boot and foot position. That is, if you ride about with the lever partially depressed the odds of missing a shift are going to go UP dramatically.

That said; our bodies are all proportioned differently and everyone needs to fine tune things like lever positions to fit them. Not the Previous owner or even the OEM setup, but them as the rider of their bike!

mehranir

Reaction score
Visit site
I tell you guys. I just changed my oil and filter from semi synthetic Yamalube to a Full Synthetic. Since then my shifting experience overall is much more positive and also smoother including from neutral to first:Flash:!! The last time the oil was changed was last year April (1800 miles ago).

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Motul 7100 (fully synt) since 800 kms ago, really doubt it's the oil. I'll have to check the clutch cable, can't think of anything else that could be preventing N -> 1st while rolling.

mehranir

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my cables checked and they were fine. All I can say is that I have noticed a smoother engine and smoother shifting and I am totally sold.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 as previously stated

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've lowered my gear shifter, lubed key points on the linkages and lubed the clutch cable using chain lube, seems to be much better now. I think the main problem was my shifter being too high up.

I also seem to have overdone my last oil change, I'll drain some of the excess oil and see if it helps further.