Pro-bolt and thieves can kiss my ***

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my black aluminium probolt engine kit about 6-7 weeks ago, and a few days later someone tried to steal my FZ6 in my garage. When the bastard couldn't get it started he kicked it over instead, and it resulted in about $7000 in damage and a whole lot of paperwork, Luckily my insurance took the bullet, and the local Yamaha dealer got everything fixed. I picked it up today, and after riding for a few hours I wanted to fit the probolts.

I decided to start with changing the bolts for the pickup rotor cover one bolt at the time. The first two were trouble free, but the next two snapped clean off!!! I used 12 nm tourqe as the manual says, but it still couldn't take it.

Anyone seen/heard/experienced this with the probolts?

P.S. The bike was stolen in June as well. Gone for a week, but som good ol' doorknocking and investigating got it back in mint condishion.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my black aluminium probolt engine kit about 6-7 weeks ago, and a few days later someone tried to steal my FZ6 in my garage. When the bastard couldn't get it started he kicked it over instead, and it resulted in about $7000 in damage and a whole lot of paperwork, Luckily my insurance took the bullet, and the local Yamaha dealer got everything fixed. I picked it up today, and after riding for a few hours I wanted to fit the probolts.

I decided to start with changing the bolts for the pickup rotor cover one bolt at the time. The first two were trouble free, but the next two snapped clean off!!! I used 12 nm tourqe as the manual says, but it still couldn't take it.

P.S. The bike was stolen in June as well. Gone for a week, but som good ol' doorknocking and investigating got it back in mint condishion.

Not much help on the bolts but sorry to hear of such misfortune. :(

I'd thought of starting a thread to see who chimes in about crime as far as how many bikes are attempted and/or stolen just out of curiosity. It sure sucks to read about it. :(

Hmmm. . . you might want to confirm the new bolts aren't a tad longer as maybe they're bottoming out before reaching torque spec and that could lead to snapping them!

So you have a Torque wrench displaying Nm? What type is it? Are you sure of its accuracy? Also, if 12Nm is the bottom of its scale, it may be just too low for it as most torque wrenches read most accurately at or near full scale. Like if its rated at 200Nm it would be pretty accurate for torquing a bolt to 190Nm. But if using it at 12, the percent of error could +/-20% or more like maybe 3 to 4Nm which I would think a bolt could take but maybe not.

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna fix that thread tomorrow. It can't just be bad luck to have this happening twice in weeks? :p Afterall, the bike IS bad ass!

The length is correct, but it didn't break before it was seated properly.
It's a KCL 5-20 Nm so it should be good. The aluminium seems really crisp and fragile. I'm hoping it's a bad batch, 'cause I really want the black bolts!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna fix that thread tomorrow. It can't just be bad luck to have this happening twice in weeks? :p Afterall, the bike IS bad ass!

The length is correct, but it didn't break before it was seated properly.
It's a KCL 5-20 Nm so it should be good. The aluminium seems really crisp and fragile. I'm hoping it's a bad batch, 'cause I really want the black bolts!
Get stainless or Ti and paint them. Alu sucks ass for anything that involves stresses! Snaps instead of flexes. You will find that even if you can get the bolts installed the allen sockets will round in no time if you take them off a few times!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Sorry to hear about the scumbag wrecking your bike.
I am very curious to know what cost $7000 by pushing it over?

Nelly

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also curious as to the high price for a "kick over". I had to lay my FZ down behind a buddy who went down in a corner and all I broke was a side cover, and it's just cracked. I did have frame sliders, though. His Street Triple suffered 5,500.00 and was only two weeks old!

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on using Ti (or Steel) for any sort of bolts under stress or going through a heat cycle. I have about 50 Al Pro Bolt fasteners on my FZ1....but only for attaching body work, fenders, etc which don't see much stress or heat. No problems whatsoever in removing or replacing them. I think your problem is the material (Al).

Kanten

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was wondering about the aluminium myself!
When I went to the garage to change the bolts I thought they felt a little light, even for aluminium. Probolt themselves call them an engine kit, so I kinda put my trust in them. Not gonna make that mistake again :p

As for the price of the abuse, I'm norwegian, so every little thing is more expensive.
For ruining the ignition and setting off the anti-theft thingy they had to change all the locks and aparrantly reprogram the ECU, so that costs 1200-1300 dollars. 1000 dollars in paintwork, and he broke off my headlight, ruining the mounting bracket and the lamp, he also broke my Rizoma rearsets.
God, I'd like to feed this guy his own testicles!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I was wondering about the aluminium myself!
When I went to the garage to change the bolts I thought they felt a little light, even for aluminium. Probolt themselves call them an engine kit, so I kinda put my trust in them. Not gonna make that mistake again :p

As for the price of the abuse, I'm norwegian, so every little thing is more expensive.
For ruining the ignition and setting off the anti-theft thingy they had to change all the locks and aparrantly reprogram the ECU, so that costs 1200-1300 dollars. 1000 dollars in paintwork, and he broke off my headlight, ruining the mounting bracket and the lamp, he also broke my Rizoma rearsets.
God, I'd like to feed this guy his own testicles!
Yeah, I got a real horror story when nI asked how much the ignition, wiring loom and ECU would be to replace. It's big bucks alright.

What other damage was caused?

Nelly