Gears? Don't need no stinking gears. Just give me 2nd and a clutch.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
This morning on the way to work my shifter felt odd then I quickly found I couldn't shift. :confused: I was in 2nd and fortunately not on the highway yet.

Pull over, look down. No shifter pivot bolt and the shift linkage had collapsed to rest on the footpeg. Bastard! :mad:

Fortunately I've gotten used to the clutch and didn't have any problems launching from 2nd. After getting going it just sounded like I was riding a jet engine at 5am through my neighborhood to get home. WHHHHIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........

Got the parts ordered already. Just need to fire my mechanic who keeps trying to kill me. :spank:

Ahh, the joys of a big bike with tall gearing... This happened to me on the highway a while back, I had downshifted into 4th to pass some cars and then the shifter went limp. My first reaction was WTF?!?! I had no idea what went wrong and my first thought was my bike is toast. So I pull over, look down and the pivot bolt had come out of the shift linkage. The rubber boot was the only thing keeping it from falling off and tumbling down the freeway. I didn't have the right size allen wrench on me and sure as hell couldn't start out in 4th gear. But luckily the motorcycle gods were with me that day and a state trooper pulled over about two minutes later. He just happened to have a full metric tool kit in his trunk. I tightened the crap out of the bolt and went on my way. When I got home I took the bolt off, put some red loctite on it, and tightened it back down again. Hopefully never have to deal with that mess again.

Last edited:
How far away you get? Weren't on 205 I'd guess. Glad you made it home safe!

Ahh, the joys of a big bike with tall gearing... This happened to me on the highway a while back, I had downshifted into 4th to pass some cars and then the shifter went limp. My first reaction was WTF?!?! I had no idea what went wrong and my first thought was my bike is toast. So I pull over, look down and the pivot bolt had come out of the shift linkage. The rubber boot was the only thing keeping it from falling off and tumbling down the freeway. I didn't have the right size allen wrench on me and sure as hell couldn't start out in 4th gear. But luckily the motorcycle gods were with me that day and a state trooper pulled over about two minutes later. He just happened to have a full metric tool kit in his trunk. I tightened the crap out of the bolt and went on my way. When I got home I took the bolt off, put some red loctite on it, and tightened it back down again. Hopefully never have to deal with that mess again.

Yikes. Quite a bit scarier to have to deal with it on the shoulder.

How far away you get? Weren't on 205 I'd guess. Glad you made it home safe!

Thanks. I was less than a mile from home and just one turn from the on-ramp.

I checked frame, bars and controls last week for loose bolts, but not the shifter. Owner's manual says check the shifter before every ride. :rolleyes:

One time on my first bike (a Yamaha XV250), I was cruising up the highway when I noticed the car behind flashing it's lights. I instinctively went to change down gear (to slow down and pull over) and my foot hit nothing.. I looked down to see sparks flying out behind me and the shifter dragging along the road.

There was a little fastener that held the shifter on that had disappeared. Had no idea what to do.. called a mate to come rescue me but while I was waiting I noticed I could take a little hose clamp from one of the fuel lines and if fit perfectly on the shaft to hold the shifter in place.

Kept going like that for months!

On my first bike (ninja 500r), the front brake assembly came completely loose on the clipon. I found out when I tried to brake for my exit on the interstate:eek:. Luckily, it's a light bike and the rear brake/engine braking was plenty to get me slowed down. Put a new bolt in it and good as new eh! Definitely a pucker moment though

On my first bike (ninja 500r), the front brake assembly came completely loose on the clipon. I found out when I tried to brake for my exit on the interstate:eek:. Luckily, it's a light bike and the rear brake/engine braking was plenty to get me slowed down. Put a new bolt in it and good as new eh! Definitely a pucker moment though

That's why I love bikes. As far as engine braking goes, especially smaller bikes or singles/twins. On my SV650 I used to play with how long I could go without using my breaks, just engine braking. It was amazing. The FZ6 relies a bit more on the brakes though.

Last edited:
Back