Primary safety things to know?

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow after looking at the "Sad story, ride safe" thread I got to thinking. What are the primary things I should practice/know? I believe that my ability to stay alive is based on my responsibility to know how to handle my bike at least to some kind of proficient degree.

If you were to pick like 3 or 4 important 3 things to know and learn to do what would they be? Mental and or Physical things. I have my own ideas but would like others to chime in. You might just save my ass!

Thanks!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Our North American FZ6s don't have ABS.... learn proper braking techniques... Threshold braking for one. Anyone can speed, few people really know how to stop properly especially in a panic situations...

Richard

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Two really important things I took away from the MSF course:

SCAN..SCAN...SCAN: Always be looking ahead for any potential hazards in your path.

Always dress appropriately for the ride: Being freezing or scorching hot effects your ability to react mentally and physically. Gear is expensive but that is because, unlike a cage, its the only thing between you and whatever you make contact with. So invest in good multi-seasonal gear. :D:D

Hope that helps.

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
If you were to pick like 3 or 4 important 3 things to know and learn to do what would they be? Mental and or Physical things. I have my own ideas but would like others to chime in. You might just save my ass!

Thanks!

Most important thing to remember: Tits can be found on the internet.

That hot Russian-looking chick with a godly rack in the 97 Eclipse with the rear bumper half hanging off is a one way ticket to being smashed on the back of an ice cream truck.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Expect the unexpected
2. Safe distance
3. As mentioned - practice braking
4. Be very alert at intersections
5. Speed kills

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
1. LOOK...keep focused on what's ahead, to the sides and behind you...always know your surroundings especially in traffic, intersections or other city riding

2. Mentally KNOW how you must react if that car does the "what if" stupid move.

3. SLOW DOWN! the grand majority of motorcycle crashes could have been avoided if the motorcyclist had been riding slower. Slowing down allows your reaction times to be slower and still keep you alive! Save it for the track! Crashing at the track rarely results in death!

4. Ride like you are INVISIBLE! That car doesn't know you are there...in fact they might be trying to kill you! If you have this mind set you will be ready to react!

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of my points personally are:

Scan
Safe riding distance
Gear
Not riding beyond my limits

In 1 incident my neighbor pretty much did not follow any of the above, brand new GSX R, riding too close to a woman in front, shorts, t-shirt = broken ribs, leg, staples. Not a pretty sight, and this was also in a 25 mph zone, 1 lane going each way 10 minutes from home. Things can happen anywhere and I guess in the end ALWAYS pay attention, if you feel tired/fatigued pull over somewhere, take a break, stay focused. Wear all the gear all the time, you can go for a cross country trip and nothing happens or a 2 minute ride to a gas station and something can happen.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
  1. One important fact: You are invisible to cagers, yet they all are out to kill you.
  2. As others has said - scanning, scanning, scanning. Read the traffic and predict what is about to happen.
  3. Emergency brakeing, and emergency swerving.
  4. Take the MSF course.

Good luck! :cheer:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Those that claim car drivers are deliberately out to kill you is way over the top. Rather they literally haven't been trained to look for motorcycles and therefore actually don't see you, even if they are coming in the opposite direction and look directly at you. That's just the way it is and you aren't going to change that fact. Always assume you are invisible and that you have to ride in that parameter. Always be scanning for vehicles, pedestrians, wildlife and anything else that may happen.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Get joy from the fact you know what someone is going to do before they even know themselves.

Look through cars windshield to see what's ahead and take advantage of your higher position.

Leave space if you're behind a truck and can't see what's ahead.

If your riding along and there's a row of traffic the oppersite direction, look for gaps in cars. That could signifiy a junction and a car might poke it's nose out and take you out :D

LOOK AHEAD :D

Go ride in the rain, It's nothing like riding on ice, I don't know why people think its so bad. Afterall if you're in correct kit, it's not like you get wet yourself is it? - also good practice - remember stopping distances greatly increase.

careful of manhole covers and white paint.

When over taking be aware that you're going in a patch of road that may not get much use, that's where all the "marbles" ie, stones and crap will be so be careful and plan your over take.

Don't become complaincent on stretches of roads you know. The driveways still have cars that go in and out of them.

Always consider your overtake. It's all about weighing up risk. why not wait until 100m up the road there's traffic lights and filter. Why overtake if theres a 50/50 chance he'll be going a different way to you at the intersection.

Always kit up.

stop and offer to help if you see another biker, even if you're not mechcanically inclined it might be as simple as running out of fuel. - you can help with that.

nod and be friendly. If another bike is following you while filtering, leave him room to get infront of the car at the lights also.

Always go at your own pace, If a bike is following you while filtering GO AT YOUR PACE. if he has a shifty on just pull in and let him pass. He'll prob wave at you :)

Generally 5mph while passing is suggested when filtering as people like to do massive U turns without checking their mirrors. Get the other side of the white line if you can as there is more chance of them seeing you if they do check their mirrors and less chance of you being in their blind spot.

hopefully my rambling is of some use to someone :)

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
The superior rider uses his superior judgement to avoid having to use his superior skills.

IMHO 90% of situations are avoidable by be cautious and alert, being able to spot danger from far away allows you to easily avoid it. The closer you get to a bad situation, the more extreme bike control comes into play. You have to have both, but i much prefer watching an accident from a distance to doing emergency braking drills while crapping myself :thumbup:

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Head and Eyes up
Look where you want to go
Push to turn
Scan and process potential dangers
Focus on riding...forget about work, family, bills, etc
Rock the gear. Wear helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots every time

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Those that claim car drivers are deliberately out to kill you is way over the top. Rather they literally haven't been trained to look for motorcycles and therefore actually don't see you, even if they are coming in the opposite direction and look directly at you. That's just the way it is and you aren't going to change that fact. Always assume you are invisible and that you have to ride in that parameter. Always be scanning for vehicles, pedestrians, wildlife and anything else that may happen.

We say that they are trying to kill you because when they don't see you...their actions LOOK like they are purposefully trying to run you over because in your mind you are thinking "there is NO way they don't see me!" But yes it all comes back to the fact that we are invisible in traffic...especially to people who are on cell phones, drinking coffee, eating breakfast, putting on makeup, tired, stressed, or too old to be driving.