Pre-Loading Clutch?

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having some down shifting issues on my 2009 FZ6 with 3,000 miles. I have researched other posts and some posters suggested pre-loading the clutch and/or shifter. What is meant by this and how is is done?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Usually, we preload the clutch to help smoothness -- but during upshift.

What's the problem you're having downshifting? usually, downshifting is not the problem -- as long as you throttle blip (and know how to separate the braking movements with that right hand if you do shifting and throttle blipping at same time).

Dennis

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Downshifting should not require any preload. It seems that the gear is already preloaded, especially as you get to 3-2-1 when you get that clunking feel. If you have a down shift issue you may have another issue that needs to be looked at by the dealer under warrantee.

Just my opinion as I am not expert, only had a FZ6 a few months but after over 2000 miles, never once have I had an issue with a downshift.

I have issues on the upshift and sometimes grind 5 or 6 becasue there is too much slack between my boot and the shifter.

I may start preloading on the upshift myself.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
My problem is only with down shifting. It just seems to get stuck in a gear whwile down shifting. I have to let out the clutch sometimes between gears to get to the next lower gear. I have read other posts that say the m/c has to be moving and sometimes the throttle needs to be blip while down shifting to avoid this. My problem seems to be getting worse with more miles. I'm due for an oil change so I'm going to try a different oil other than the Yamalube to see if this helps.

sjk625

Reaction score
Visit site
In order to downshift smoothly it's best to begin shifting down as you slow going one by one through the gears and letting go of the clutch each time. If you're in a situation where you can't let go of the clutch fully, try letting it out very slightly and then pulling it in and continuing to downshift.

Last edited:

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Are you trying to downshift multiple gears at a time? The FZ6 doesn't really take well to that practice, I used to do it on my GS500 all the time but found quickly that the FZ is not a fan. If this is the case, you'll want to get in the habit of dropping one gear at a time. Throttle blipping helps smooth the transition as well but I tend to use the clutch to smooth out the engine braking more than throttle blipping. If this is not the case, sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait.... we have a clutch on these things??? really?
j/k

Practice.