powerlet outlet

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys,
So I installed a powerlet outlet on the fz6 to specifically power my Garmin GPS. Only problem is because the powerlet bolts to the battery terminals, it is always supplying power to the garmin power adapter which has a red status light (assuming it's plugged in).

How fast do you think it'll drain the battery if I leave it plugged in all the time? For the record it's my daily commuter... It's probably best to just unplug the damn thing... but curious minds want to know...

KG

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Check you manual for the GARMIN GPS; it should have a specs sheet that shows how many watts it drains in STANDBY mode. If it's 1 watt or less, I can't see why you couldn't get away with it. Alarm systems drain 1 watt or less.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
It'd be easy enough to wire in a switch for it, the holes in the front of the inner fairing panel are perfect for a toggle switch
DSC03546.jpg

If you do that though, put it on the right side, not the left. The throttle cables hit it at full lock, never flipped it accidentally, but do hit it, ive just been too lazy to move it

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
[COLOR=\"DarkGreen\"]Check you manual for the GARMIN GPS; it should have a specs sheet that shows how many watts it drains in STANDBY mode. If it's 1 watt or less, I can't see why you couldn't get away with it. Alarm systems drain 1 watt or less. [/COLOR]

That would be amps or mA in the context you are referring to.... not watts.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It'd be easy enough to wire in a switch for it, the holes in the front of the inner fairing panel are perfect for a toggle switch
If you do that though, put it on the right side, not the left. The throttle cables hit it at full lock, never flipped it accidentally, but do hit it, ive just been too lazy to move it

Better yet... wire it to the "bike side" of the main relay... This way the outlet is only powered when the bike is running....

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a cigarette lighter style plug mounted under my seat. i used the wires for the now non-existent liscence plate light to power it. they switch on and off with the ignition. id only recomend this method for low draw items such as your gps.

another solution to your problem is to install a relay and use the lights or ignition as a trigger.
you should be able to get one for under $10 at any autoparts store.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a switch because I didn't want to splice into anything in the factory wiring. I might redo it eventually to go off the low beam since that's always on when the engines running.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
......I didn't want to splice into anything in the factory wiring.........

you could even make your own little "T" with male/female plugs on it and put it inline where there is a factory connection. then you wont harm the factory wiring. all the plugs for the rear lights are in the left side pod and theres plenty of room for a relay too

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
you could even make your own little \"T\" with male/female plugs on it and put it inline where there is a factory connection. then you wont harm the factory wiring. all the plugs for the rear lights are in the left side pod and theres plenty of room for a relay too
I'm planning on something like that eventually. I just added a tail case this last weekend and want to add some lights to it so i'll have to come up with a good way to do that. Will probably splice in the relay at the same time.