Power Commander V

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So i just purchased a power commander V... i have a few questions about it, for anyone who knows..

I have a 2008 FZ, but the power commander is for a 09, that doesnt matter does it? nothing has been changed right?

2nd, does anyone know what map is stock on the PCV? I think its for aftermarket exhaust and air filter, but not sure... Should i update the maps?

3rd, when i try to install the PCV program from my desktop, it wont load, is this is this a problem with windows 7? is there a way to find it on the site? i found the maps download, but not sure how to get them from the computer to the bike. I have a laptop which i obviously will be using to install the maps, but i was going to play around with it on my PC first...

Thanks guys!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1) No problems between '08 and '09, same difference. I'm using an "'09" on my '08 Buell.

2) The stock map is typically a "zero" map, typically. Check the PC site for other maps they have available. Note they tend to be a little rich from DynoJet, they do that as a CYA for themselves.

3) My PC software works fine on Windows 7. It fires right up. You are going, fuel > table to open the map right? And using "Send Map" to up load from the computer to the PC5? It should work fine. Reboot I suppose, or call DynoJet, they're helpful.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1) No problems between '08 and '09, same difference. I'm using an "'09" on my '08 Buell.
hmm.. i just tried plugging it all up, the connectors dont lock together. GRRR, They look like they would, and they all PLUG together, but the one doesnt LOCK inside the stock. it just plugs in... hmm...

---edit--- just double checked the PC website, the PCV is for the 09 fz, the PCIII is for the 08
:spank: :(:rtfm::thumbdown::stupidpc::mad::eyebrow: :disapprove: :banghead::rant:

Last edited:

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm.. i just tried plugging it all up, the connectors dont lock together. GRRR, They look like they would, and they all PLUG together, but the one doesnt LOCK inside the stock. it just plugs in... hmm...

---edit--- just double checked the PC website, the PCV is for the 09 fz, the PCIII is for the 08
:spank: :(:rtfm::thumbdown::stupidpc::mad::eyebrow: :disapprove: :banghead::rant:

Its still supposed to work.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are no changes so it will work.

For windows 7, browse out to the setup.exe and right-click it, then select properties. In the Compatibility tab, check the box and run as Windows XP SP3.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are no changes so it will work.

For windows 7, browse out to the setup.exe and right-click it, then select properties. In the Compatibility tab, check the box and run as Windows XP SP3.
but there is no PCV for the 08 model, the only option for the 08 is the PCIII... also when i plug it in, the snaps dont "connect" they plug up, but dont lock... so i would have to tape them on... :confused:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
but there is no PCV for the 08 model, the only option for the 08 is the PCIII... also when i plug it in, the snaps dont "connect" they plug up, but dont lock... so i would have to tape them on... :confused:

Strange! If this is the case, then the same fitment would occur on the '09 since they did not change this at Yamaha. Hmmm.... Any '09 bikes near you to compare? Perhaps they DID changes that we are unaware of between these two model years. I'm curious now. ;)

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't matter if it is 08 or 09. It should be working.
To make sure that it fits, check how many cables are in each fuse.
There must be exactly the same number as the ECU of the fz6 doesn't change between 08 and 09.

A small question for you.

To use a pc3 for the first time you must plug it on the bike with the 9volt battery. Does this happen with the pc5? maybe you didn't plugged in the 9volt supply.

Im not sure for that, it is just an idea.

P.S Did you buy the pc5 with the auto tune future or not?

8-oji

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a PCV on my '08 FZ6 and everything clicked/fit/locked in just fine. Not quite sure whats going on with the one you've got. Is there any "flash" (extra plastic from molding) on the connectors that aren't locking in?:confused:
On a side note, been a bit busy with work so there hasn't been anytime to get the bike dynoed.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a PCV on my '08 FZ6 and everything clicked/fit/locked in just fine. Not quite sure whats going on with the one you've got. Is there any "flash" (extra plastic from molding) on the connectors that aren't locking in?:confused:
On a side note, been a bit busy with work so there hasn't been anytime to get the bike dynoed.
Thats good news... i have no idea what im doing then, but they dont lock together for sure. The plugs (6 prong) plug together, but do not lock, so they could easily come apart if not taped together... yours actually SNAP into place as intended??? now im intrigued... ..

.... can you tell a difference?

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
according to our power commander rep, the FZ6 efi plugs are all the same and the PCV works for all year FZ6's. This is further backed up by the install instructions on power commander's website stating the PCIII works for 04+ FZ6's.(If the PCIII works on both the 04 and 08 FZ6, so will the PCV)

I am considering getting a PCV to use the switchable map feature. So I'd have a map for beating on the bike and a map for commuting/touring.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats good news... i have no idea what im doing then, but they dont lock together for sure. The plugs (6 prong) plug together, but do not lock, so they could easily come apart if not taped together... yours actually SNAP into place as intended??? now im intrigued... ..

Is there some small difference it the latch on the plug? Maybe a bur or something like that? Check that all the pins are seated properly. Do the plugs on the PC-V mated and lock to each other? In other words can you plug the PC-V into itself? If they do lock together on the PC-V or don't, that may the answer.......The PC's are meant to plug inline. No?

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering getting a PCV to use the switchable map feature. So I'd have a map for beating on the bike and a map for commuting/touring.

Before you do that, just think how many times per week you feel the need to change the program of your power commander.
Im sure that you are not going to use it that often and that you will spent money for nothing.
This future you can use it with power commander 3 using your laptop.

The only reason you should possibly buy a pc5 is the auto tune future.
You will buy a pc5, you will spent some more money for the auto tune future and you will be satisfied without having to change program every now and then.

The auto tune future makes programing very easy. You can create the "target" map that you like-need and the rest just happens.
Auto tune compines wide band commander and power commander at the same function.

Does anybody knows if we can create a closed loop circuit for the pc5 so it can adjust itself all the time without using a target map or the auto tune future?

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Before you do that, just think how many times per week you feel the need to change the program of your power commander.
Im sure that you are not going to use it that often and that you will spent money for nothing.
This future you can use it with power commander 3 using your laptop.

The only reason you should possibly buy a pc5 is the auto tune future.
You will buy a pc5, you will spent some more money for the auto tune future and you will be satisfied without having to change program every now and then.

The auto tune future makes programing very easy. You can create the "target" map that you like-need and the rest just happens.
Auto tune compines wide band commander and power commander at the same function.

Does anybody knows if we can create a closed loop circuit for the pc5 so it can adjust itself all the time without using a target map or the auto tune future?

Actually, we just tuned a race YFZ450R with autotune at the dealership. The way it works is to set a desired air fuel ratio and a percentage you'll allow the autotune to adjust your map. Then, go ride.

8-oji

Reaction score
Visit site

Lemme get a solid confirmation for ya a little later.

I'll be doing some work on the bike (next weekend?) to get a fuse panel for aux accessories installed. Its a good opportunity to check the connections. :thumbup:

Btw after taking a look at Dynojet's website there was a map for TB cans and with a stock air filter. I've got a similar setup as you with a K&N but with aluminum TB cans. Its pretty tempting to toss the stock filter back in and test out the map. Of course its not as good as a proper tune on a dyno. :D

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ill try to take it all apart and look again... are you guys using the stock map? or upgrade from the site? if so, which one for 2bros cans, K&N and a slightly opened air box?

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Ddi you get the connectors to snap together properly?

When you installed the PCV on your bike did you disconnect the O2 sensor as well? (PCV instructions say to disconnect factory O2, PCIII instructions do not have this step).

Just wondering how well the 2008 bike is running without the O2 hooked up...curious to see if there are changes between 2008 and 2009 that maybe aren't obvious (like maybe something in the stock ECU software).

You can revise a PCIII map to work in the PCV...jsut needs some hand-editing/interpolation of the tables (PCV has an extra map cell range)

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ddi you get the connectors to snap together properly?

When you installed the PCV on your bike did you disconnect the O2 sensor as well? (PCV instructions say to disconnect factory O2, PCIII instructions do not have this step).

Just wondering how well the 2008 bike is running without the O2 hooked up...curious to see if there are changes between 2008 and 2009 that maybe aren't obvious (like maybe something in the stock ECU software).

You can revise a PCIII map to work in the PCV...jsut needs some hand-editing/interpolation of the tables (PCV has an extra map cell range)
I tried again, and it snapped perfect. I feel dumb, i dont know what i was doing wrong, but for the life of me i couldnt get it to work. i guess it just took walking away and coming back and it works....

I did NOT do the O2 sensor yet. actually i didnt see that part in the instructions till after i installed and put it all back together. I might do that this weekend... My new issue now is that 2 times today the bike stalled when coming to a stop, im wondering if the O2 had something to do with this. When i pulled the clutch coming to a stop, the RPMS dropped all the way till it died. I did notice that they were dropping really low when clutching, but twice it actually died.. GRR

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried again, and it snapped perfect. I feel dumb, i dont know what i was doing wrong, but for the life of me i couldnt get it to work. i guess it just took walking away and coming back and it works....

I did NOT do the O2 sensor yet. actually i didnt see that part in the instructions till after i installed and put it all back together. I might do that this weekend... My new issue now is that 2 times today the bike stalled when coming to a stop, im wondering if the O2 had something to do with this. When i pulled the clutch coming to a stop, the RPMS dropped all the way till it died. I did notice that they were dropping really low when clutching, but twice it actually died.. GRR

I'm glad it worked out; odd that it didn't snap together the first time.

What map do you have installed? The base maps from DJ are a little sketchy as they are made for a wide range of configurations, and DJ tends to map them rich on purpose as a CYA.

With the O2 sensor attached the bike will run "closed loop" for the area of the map that the O2 sensor influences; 0 to 4,000 rpm and 0% throttle to about 40% throttle (that's off the top of my head), I'd have to look it up. Outside of that range it runs "open loop". Once you get it tuned it should run very nicely.

Not sure why it stalled. If I remember correctly mine did the same thing a time or two when I first installed my PCIII, prior to tuning. Post tuning no problems at all.

I'm not sure how the FZ6 ECU compares to other brands of bikes, but some people insist that with the O2 sensor connected, the ECU/ECM will correct for the changes that the PC is trying to make within the close loop range. I suspect that is the case, and you bike may simply need a few rides, starts and stops to relearn the range, and the stalling should stop. Also make sure you disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the ECU back to zero. That little trick seems to work well once and air filter or exhaust has been installed. It helps the ECU learn the new operating environment quicker.

Final note, I know krid80 has had good luck with the auto-tune module, but I heard nothing but problems with auto-tune on FZ1s and the Buell 1125s; could be an FI system specific issue.

Good luck and enjoy! Power Commander and a good tune really improve the rideability of the bike.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I believe your issue is due to the o2 sensor not being defeated. We had the exact same result on a 09 R1 and a Raider under the same circumstances. Both were customer installed without reading directions. The O2 eliminator fixed their issues. Also, make sure you go to "calibrate/set throttle position" from the PCV software. Press reset and then go from 0-100% throttle, then press ok.