Visit site
Hi everyone.. I posted this for v4rick

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

Is your battery hooked up properly?.... Anyshorts in any of the wiring that you modded?

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the factory service manual and have addressed the possibility of power problems. The only wiring disturbed was to the rear light, turn signals and license illuminator. No problems there, but charged the battery to 13.2 volts just to be on the safe side.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I receeved error code 46 a few months ago. The bike wouldn't turn over so I jumped it. After letting the battery charge I shut the bike off to see if it would re-start so I wouldn't get stranded. It would not restart and gave me code 46. I replaced the battery and it worked fine.

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike will turn over fine, just won't run. Seems like it is not getting fuel. Just to be sure it wasn't a power problem I disconnected and charged the battery to 13.2 volts, even though it seemed to have plenty of power before doing this.Thanks for the response, though. I just don't see how replacing a battery with plenty of power and voltage would help. I'm particularly frustrated because the electrical schematic at the back of the service manual does not list or show "FI Relay", so I'm not even sure where I'm supposed to be checking for power.

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct. I had that side cover off and had to unplug all of the wiring to the rear lights and blinkers, but did not touch the relays. I will try unplugging and re-plugging all of the connectors to see if that helps. Those pages are straight out of the same service manual I have been using and what still confuses me is that they indicate the location of the relays on the photo of the bike, but do not mention it in the schematic breakdown in the back of the manual. I will unplug and check all of the connectors back there, plug them back in and see what happens. Will report back to this site tomorrow. Thanks to all who have contributed.

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Rolled my RD out of the way, the FZ into the driveway, turned on the key and the error code was GONE. Back to normal display! Hit the starter and heard popping in the exhaust that sounded like post ignition from fuel fouling, but the engine wouldn't start. The smell of raw fuel in the new Scorpions confirmed this. I pulled the plugs (that's a whole other story!) which were soaked with fuel, cleaned them, re-installed, hit the starter and off she went, running perfectly. A few laps around the neighborhood to clear her out, running perfectly, sounding better than ever. I'm glad it's running again, but still stumped as to what caused this. Thanks again to all who helped.

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing - I've been meaning to mention that the picture in my profile box is of my daughter, starting the RD400 she learned to ride on, not me. Thanks again to the FZ community.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update! I would still take the side pod off and reseat all that stuff, because if it is loose and you're deep into a lean on the edge of out-of-control and the darned thing decides to quit, it's going to be a bad day. It'll only take a few minutes to remove the seat, one screw for the pod and them jam all the plugs back together. You can always put a zip tie around the FI relay to make sure it is snug as well.

Glad it's running!!!! :steve: