Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Yes, other (explain)

Votes: 14 15.9%

• Total voters

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Never posted a poll before, so I apologize if I do it wrong.

I was just curious how many people skip shift, i.e., skip over gears when shifting. Instead of 1-2-3-4-5-6, maybe 1-3-5-6, or 1-2-4-6.

Obviously, this would not be in a situation where you're attempting to maximize performance, but rather maximize efficiency or minimize shifting. Feel free to explain your strategy below.

As for myself, when riding at a leisurely pace, I often use 1-3-5... then slide it into 6th sans clutch if needed.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes I'll do it cuz I have a very torquey motor with a very decent power band. I really don't need to do all that shifting especially if I'm just easing along and using that power band.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Sometimes I go 1----6 if I ran 1st to the stratosphere. Just depends on how I am riding. I frequently go 6th to 3rd for a burst.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
When getting on the interstate I'll accelerate hard in 4th to the speed limit then straight to 6th

:Im With Stupid: that and I will hit it hard at a light in first and as I come off the throttle just pop up into third in the 35-45 mph streets

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i might skip a couple of gears going up once i get to the speed i want

2nd and 3rd gear is also my favourite :D

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I routinely ride on a stretch of highway that is pretty forlorn. I'll start from the merge ramp in 2nd gear and ride hard (fast) up to 90km/h then slide into 4th, accelerate a bit more to 100km/h and finish in sixth for the commute (read: boring) part of the ride :D

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never considered this - especially the 4th to 6th getting on the freeway - I'll give this a shot!. I can't count the times I've tried to shift into 7th a mile or two down the road!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i generally use all the gears. but every now and then i like to let my fz6 clear it's throat so i'll go up into the upper rev's in 1st from a light. but since i can get up to the speed limit in first there's no reason to go through the rest of the gears up to 12k-ish. so i'll just skip to 3rd or 4th and get in a more comfortable rpm range. i've never skipped down though.

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I do that getting up to speed in a lower gear then skip up several to cruise. When I intend to pass some body I will skip down several, then continue to downshift till my rpm is around 8k+.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
^ yep, if cruising and need to get the revs up for an aggressive pass
I will sometimes drop 2...never thought of it on the way up though,
but it's a good idea in that 5 & 6 feel pretty close to each other

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never considered this - especially the 4th to 6th getting on the freeway - I'll give this a shot!. I can't count the times I've tried to shift into 7th a mile or two down the road!

yep, every morning on the way to work, I'm in 4th, at around 6K(on the long on-ramp), then I just nail it up to around 9-10K, and by then I'm over the speed limit and on the freeway, and I just jump to 6th. And I've been hunting for that elusive 7th gear a lot lately. Probably because 5 to 6th is so short. I swear, it never matters how many gears you have a on a moto, you'll always be looking for that one more. I could have 10 gears, and after a while I'd be hunting for 11th. lol

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd getting on the freeway in the morning. The onramp I take is basically a really nice drag strip. I banged it into 4th this morning, not paying attention to my speed just making sure I was clear to merge.

I was checking behind me when I slipped it into 4th. Went, ":eek: Was that 4th?!" Turned back to check my speedo, and went :spank: and hit the brakes hard.

Seriously. Did you know that if you shift in the sweet spot in 3rd, you'll indicate over 100mph on the speedo? So how does the bhp restriction work on our bikes? Cause I need to add it in. :rolleyes:

But at any rate, I usually go from 2nd or 3rd getting on the freeway and I'll click all the way up till it stops clicking. I don't ever look for 7th on the highway though.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Never skip shifted up.

I skip a couple gears often when downshifting (and rev matching) to overtake cages on the backroads...it's amazing how fast the FZ6 will blow past a cage that is doing 45mph in 3rd gear at 8-12K rpms. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ooo.. another resurrection! (someone must've voted).

Since I'm here.. I often skip up after briskly getting up to speed in 1st, all the way to 4th or 5th. Skipping down.. absolutely.