POLL: Is "vlogging" the motorcycle equivalent of talking on the phone while driving?

Do you think "vlogging" is safe?

• Totally safe

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Reasonably safe

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Don't know/No opinion

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Somewhat dangerous

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a helmet camera, but I like the idea for liability purposes. I've seen quite a few riders who use them for "vlogging" (video blogging for you geezers). And I've wondered, is that safe?

Take for instance, this video below. I was browsing motorcycle videos from this week on YouTube and it came up. I don't know anything about the vlogger. But after watching it, I think it has to be distracting.

The rider is on a California freeway. Looks like he's on a SV based on the gauges, and he mentions it's a liter bike. He starts off shadowing a guy riding a sport bike in shorts. Then opines about the wisdom of buying a motorcycle to save on gas (neglecting all other costs but fuel). Then suggests that new riders start out on a 600 if they're going to be doing much riding on the highway. Not because they'll grow out of a 250 too quick, but because the wider tires on a 600 are better on the highway. Never heard that one before. So anyway, after listening to him, I am not all that confident in his judgement. I grow more suspect as I see him talking with his hands as he describes tire width. But he's riding pretty rationally. He's moving with the flow of traffic and appears to have good following distance.

Then he comes up on a lane closure causing traffic to slow to a crawl. Even with more than enough following distance, he can't reign it in before reaching the car in front of him and is forced to split lanes (of course that's completely legal, but I don't think that's what he wanted to do). Watching that, I wondered if his vlogging played a role.

So what do you think? Is vlogging the same as talking on a cell phone when you're driving? Or is there a better comparison? Is it safe? Have you done it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQAMD8-4cJk]YouTube - ‪Panic stop & Truck almost kills motorcycle rider‬‏[/ame]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've seen his vids before...It is the SV1000. No Vlogging for me. I have a Chatterbox w/ Bluetooth on my helmet and rarely use it but if there's an emergency I can get a call out on fly.

One thing I noticed about his lane changing......He's only using his mirrors. Notice he's not turning his head for a blind spot or out of mirror lurker....

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Too dangerous, IMO. Concentrate on your riding. Blue tooth is ok for communication, but I don't think I'd even talk on the phone if a call came through my Sena/iPhone.

I don't think his riding skills were fantastic either. Seemed to ride the white line a lot rather than keep to the wheel tracks.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
You can clearly see that there are signs posted a ways back letting him know there is construction. He just wasn't paying attention. Vlogging bad? Course. Same as driving distracted in this regard. He almost caused a rear end accident because he has no clue of his surroundings.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were the guy in the GSXR600 in that video I'd be like "WTF does this idiot keep looking at me for?"

Of course I wouldn't be wearing what he's wearing, but that's not the point...

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because that guy's kinda retarded doesn't make it unsafe. Just ride your ride as you would and chit chat into a camera...when you need to focus just focus and edit out the silent bits.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
He isn't a very good rider, poor lane positioning for a start, jumping from lane to lane, and he was uncontrolled in that panic stop. Crap riding. Way over confident for his skill level. Most of his comments were just BS. Not too impressed.

If you want to video your ride and add the narrative later that is fine, but I think a running commentary is too distracting.

Toast

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I do it. Riding responsibly/safely comes first, then adding commentary to the ride comes second. Helps pass the time when riding in a relatively straight line is unavoidable. When approaching intersections and crowded areas, the commentary slows down and sometimes stops because more concentration is on navigating safely. Then for video purposes, a lot of that silent time is cut out. Whenever I'm on twisty bits of road, or out having fun with the bike, the camera is usually never on because all my focus is on riding. I guess it depends on the rider. Some people who talk on their cell phone and drive mainly focus the conversation, and don't think twice about what they are doing when navigating their vehicle.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dangerous in the wrong hands and wrong situation in my opinion.
Would I do it? Probably.

I think that the guy in the video was preoccupied by his vlogging. Also helmet cams make really poor viewing if the rider uses life saver (observational blind spot checking) because the camera constantly moves around.

He certainly isn't the worst rider out there I quite liked his upbeat attitude. There are some riders who would have removed the wing mirror of that truck with their boot (second video). As for his opinions on bikes and tyres he clearly states that they are his opinions.

Nelly

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Vlogging? Hell no. Documentary or instructional film making? Totally safe.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqykEhOIaRk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqykEhOIaRk[/ame]

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of these guys just shove a small digital camera in their helmet attached to the chin bar in some manner. Mmmm...ccd sensors are delicious. Safe or not, it is a pretty entertaining form of vlogging. I think I'd refrain from talking with my hands as much as many do.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the videos, but do them to your safety discretion. A few of us can vouch for Erci's discretion, for an example. If you are out to show what a "bad a$$" rider you are.......keep it to yourself. Like MOM use to say...If you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all". IMHO.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I think anything that is distracting can be bad for you while driving. Even listening to music can be bad if you get lost in a song or something and not notice what is going on around you. On the other side if you have a long and boring commute having a bit of distraction could be a good thing. Something to keep you awake and alert to what is going on around you.

I have to say for both videos here I got bored with what they were saying really quickly. I like the video blogs that have music in the background to give it a better mood for what they are doing.

Would I do it? I think having a video camera could be a great tool to have and with most of the crashes caught on video I think it would make it really clear in a court room as to who is at fault for things that happen. But it could also show that you were the one in the wrong as well.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Would I do it? I think having a video camera could be a great tool to have and with most of the crashes caught on video I think it would make it really clear in a court room as to who is at fault for things that happen. But it could also show that you were the one in the wrong as well.

Hahaha. You have ownership of the video and can edit out whatever you like. And if you were in the fault? "What video?". LOL :D

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you say that, I can't STAND music in the backround! I always want to hear the engine/exhaust/mechanical noises.

+1000000 SO tired of otherwise awesome vids, ruined with some crappy emo, rap, or wannabe/poser/nu metal music. Nothing like clicking on a vid thinking, "alright, can't wait to hear what this bada** bike/car sounds like!", then all you get is some radio garbage! TERRIBLE. All my vids will have nothing but the proper sounds. If I do make any with music, I'll upload TWO version, one with music, and one without.

As for vlogging? Meh. Couldn't possibly care less. My GoPro is for fun, nothing else. I turn it on, press record, and ride/drive. Once I'm moving it's not even there as far as I'm concerned. Everybody else can do as they please, at their own peril. :D