Poll: For those allowed to lane-split, do you use your high beams at night?

Do you use your high beams while lane-splitting at night?

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • I use other tools to increase visibility

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Lights? I don't need no stinkin' lights!

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

ThatsRicci

Reaction score
Visit site
I do lane split at night this time of year (it's dark at 5pm on the west coast), generally i don't do anything differently than if splitting during the day. I don't assume anyone sees me during the day, so it's no different to assume nobody sees me during the night.

I've seen/heard of guys who will put on their 4-way flahsers when they split at night just to grab attention of drivers looking in their mirrors. But as I said, i'm not going to bank on another persons attention to give me safety, EVER.

General rules of thumb apply... take care when passing a car that has no car in the lane next to it. The inverse of this is that a car with a car in the lane next to it is less likely to merge into your path than a car who thinks they can merge because there is no car next to them.

cooper8

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have so few RCMP patrolling highways in the Yukon that being allowed to lane-split is never an issue. As for lights, we get up to 20 hours of good sun light per day. Lights? I don't need no stinkin' lights!

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I would never use my high beams at night in a situation that would blind other drivers. The reason being that a car driver loses depth perception when they are blinded by a bright high beam.

I was leaving work the other night and saw a motorcycle coming down the road at me with his high beam on. I couldn't for the life of me judge the distance between him and I. I don't want to be doing something that makes my distance from others a mystery at night. Yea they'll see me, but they won't be able to tell if I'm 300 feet away or 50 feet away. Not safe at all imo.