Polishing Exhaust Headers

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Well worked on it for another hour or so today with just the microfiber and I'm pretty impressed. There are still some small parts that were tough to apply sufficient elbow grease to, so I'll go out and pick up some sandpaper pretty soon if I want to get perfectionist on it... :smoking:

But I think it's time to clean the rest with as much vigor. :spank:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Well worked on it for another hour or so today with just the microfiber and I'm pretty impressed. There are still some small parts that were tough to apply sufficient elbow grease to, so I'll go out and pick up some sandpaper pretty soon if I want to get perfectionist on it... :smoking:

But I think it's time to clean the rest with as much vigor. :spank:

Well done.:cheer:

I'm doing a hour tomorrow.:rockon:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Never use exhaust WRAP if you ride in rain :spank::spank::spank:

Took it all off yesterday to have a look at the damage and holy cow i got me some hours of cleaning to do.

All pipes have full coverage of surface rust this runs all the way back to the top of the de-cat looks like a got a couple of days with some metal polish and some rag, i did clean 1 pipe up and it came back to a "metal" colour :ban:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I join your club now?
ibwLsQ4aK49Thl.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never use exhaust WRAP if you ride in rain :spank::spank::spank:

Took it all off yesterday to have a look at the damage and holy cow i got me some hours of cleaning to do.

All pipes have full coverage of surface rust this runs all the way back to the top of the de-cat looks like a got a couple of days with some metal polish and some rag, i did clean 1 pipe up and it came back to a "metal" colour :ban:

Kingy, you might just keep an eye open for used set. Wrap is kind of OK in the DRY but long term coverage while getting wet will rust them out.

We see it here for Turbos on cages and when the wrap comes off, often times there is nothin left!

Good luck! You might consider coating them as the its likely plated and much rust and abrasion will leave no plating to shine.

buyer86

Reaction score
Visit site
manage to remove the rust.
but thats about it
i cant remove the black stain and header is brownish and not clear stainless steel chrome.

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my contribution! Just bought the bike with the pipes like this, spent a good hour or so with some coarse steel wool, autosol and some gloves. Pretty decent job.

However, i think i'd like to take them off as they're some burnt on stuff that's hard too get too. Is there a tutorial around of how to take off the headers?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my contribution! Just bought the bike with the pipes like this, spent a good hour or so with some coarse steel wool, autosol and some gloves. Pretty decent job.

However, i think i'd like to take them off as they're some burnt on stuff that's hard too get too. Is there a tutorial around of how to take off the headers?

Not much too it if its not rusted up. Loosen the mid pipe, so its free to move and remove the header bolts and mount under the bike (o2 if you have one -under tank to disconnect). If the fasteners are are rusted; start a week in advance by applying penetrating oil every day. Hopefully you can avoid breaking studs. Transmission ATF actually works well for this even if you intend to ride. It will smoke and stink a tad but that is no big deal. Let it smoke add drop or two to all the nuts/studs/bolts after it cool. Yes, it be messy but messy is better than breaking studs.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site

Nice work.:thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would be easier to do them on the bike, okay you can't sit at the dining room table but the don't slide about.

Mine look disgusting, I think I'm going to take the lazy way out and have them chromed.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest wet sanding. A couple strokes of 800 grit took mine from brown to silver.

What else is there to do on a rainy :( Sunday? Polish the pipes (and have a :beer: or three).

Did the 800 grit to get the stains and tarnish off, then some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and steel wool, finishing up with just polish and buffing. Not bad, but not done (to my expectation). So, plan to hit them again tomorrow with Mother's and polishing cone.