Polishing Exhaust Headers

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just say, if my pipes look like your dirty ones when I'm done cleaning them, I will be happy. I rode almost every day through the winter without touching them...

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
photo%25202.JPG

Dude...I'm really impressed by the shine on your pipes...and I'd have to be pretty bored to put in so much effort. Very impressive.

But the rest of your bike is bloody filthy! Get to it son! :D

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
But the rest of your bike is bloody filthy! Get to it son! :D

I know, I know...

I had the rad off to fix a broken bracket so figured it was a good time to finally clean up the headers. The rest of the bike will hopefully get cleaned sometime this week.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
The before pic's looks like heat discoloration only, nothing really turned them dark brown/spotty from road debris.

They look great now, you sand at all or just Mothers (as yours wasn't bad at all)?

Just Mothers, and that elbow grease you were talking about.:rockon:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Here we go. Before and after. Ended up getting no where fast with just the mothers, so I went for some 1200 grit wet sanding followed by the polish. I only put about an hour of work into the headers, kept thinking how dirty they would get in the first few weeks after cleaning...

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha yeah, decided it would be much easier to just take them off and work inside. Only takes a few minutes to remove them anyways...
And thanks!

I sooooo wanted to take them off, but the thought of possibly breaking a header stud for the stupid reason of cleaning my headers steered me away.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
They are pretty beefy bolts, no need to worry about damaging them IMO. The hard part is removing the coupler above the center stand. If you've never removed it, you might need to spray some WD-40, let it soak in, and possible loosen and or remove the cat pipe between the muffler and headers as well.

veyron1001

Reaction score
Visit site
I sooooo wanted to take them off, but the thought of possibly breaking a header stud for the stupid reason of cleaning my headers steered me away.

Your header bolts arent on very tight and dont need to be when 8 of them hold the headers. A 6in socket wrench will undo them.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your header bolts arent on very tight and dont need to be when 8 of them hold the headers. A 6in socket wrench will undo them.

+1 on the above

The nuts are torqued to only15 ft lbs. Just as a side note, while doing a going over of the bike (basic maintainance) I found 3 of the nuts on the loose side and re-torqued them down without issue.

The secret, if you have a sticky one, DO NOT FORCE IT, spray it with some penetrating oil and if it moves at all, gently work it back and forth. Just leaning on a frozen bolt/nut is about gaurenteed to break it...

I did mine on the bike. Kinda of a PIA being on the floor but then again, the bikes holding it from moving about and I don't have to clamp it down or screw with the rear, cat connector..

Last edited by a moderator: