Police clocking the FZ6? Is it harder?

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if a motorcycle such as a FZ6 would be harder for a cop to clock with his laser or radar gun? The more traveling I do the more I worry about a ticket that would screw me over. I don't drive like a deush but I cruise in the 80-90's when the conditions are right. Does anyone know of any real methods to make it harder for cops to get a hit?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Just get one of those invisible shields that the sharper image offers..

But on a serious note, bikes are naturally harder to catch on radar than a car due to their smaller signature. Is the FZ harder to pick up than any other bike, highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if a motorcycle such as a FZ6 would be harder for a cop to clock with his laser or radar gun? The more traveling I do the more I worry about a ticket that would screw me over. I don't drive like a deush but I cruise in the 80-90's when the conditions are right. Does anyone know of any real methods to make it harder for cops to get a hit?

Clay, I've noticed that some of the roadside speed indicators don't pick up my bike, especially when I'm tucked. We definitely are a smaller target than a car but not sure if the roadside radar works the same as a cops handheld.
I think that's what you were looking for and not trying to hide your plate.

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site

I would expect to get stopped anyway if a cop can't immediately see your plate...or sees it flip up/down.

Just get one of those invisible shields that the sharper image offers..

Mythbusters busted these IIRC. But, it's your money. :thumbup:

Nappa

Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of radar deflecting, how about radar jamming?
I really have no idea how that could work, but it sounds cool...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycles in general are more difficult to get on radar than normal vehicles are. The frontal target area is much smaller, which reduces the radars effectiveness in getting a good return signal.

That said, radar is still an effective tool in determining a bikes speed. The only time I've failed to get a good reading on a bike is if a larger vehicle is behind the motorcycle. The radar will display the speed of a vehicle with the strongest return signal.

Police officers are trained in the use of radar, and it's something they use on a daily basis. They're trained to listen to the doppler tone emitted by the radar unit to determine vehicle speed. Simply observing two vehicles and listening to the tone will help determine which vehicle is moving in excess of the speed limit.

For example, a bike passes a slower moving vehicle that's doing 60 mph. Once the bike gets back into it's lane the second doppler tone is higher pitched and returns a target speed of 80 mph. A simple 3-5 second tracking history is all that's needed to determine the bike was doing 80 while the slower vehicle was doing 60.

Ride safe, and closer to the speed limit if you want to avoid speeding tickets. Cruising at 80-90 mph is a pretty good clip.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not just FZ6 but I think it all apply to motorcycle...
I tried speeding in golf card crossing the radar and it didnt work tooo....LOL

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the ones on the signs are more omni-directional, and the police handheld radars are more directional. 60-90 degree cone vs a tight beam.

Radar jamming is basically just broadcasting a really "loud" broad-spectrum signal. White or pink noise, usually. Broad spectrum jammers are easy to detect, however, and in most states (from what I understand) having a jammer is usually enough to pull you over. And most radar guns can detect jamming. Laser jammers work on the same concept, except they use infrared light sources. Again, those are easy to detect as the laser guns usually have an IR camera so the officer can see the beam.

I fix radars in the Navy. What else do you want to know about them? :D

In my experience though, as long as you're not being a douche and/or passing the cop, they leave you alone. I've only been pulled over once, and I watch out for those dodge chargers anymore. lol.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Not just FZ6 but I think it all apply to motorcycle...
I tried speeding in golf card crossing the radar and it didnt work tooo....LOL

I find this strange LOL. I used to find the road side mph radar setups near my house and run my RC car in front of them to see how fast i was going. It read them every time ahhaha.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just learned to slow down and enjoy riding my bike....people can wait for me to get there....im just that important to the world :D
I rarely cruise above 75...now if theres someone on a cellphone, I still pass them as fast as possible with as much room as possible...

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Here in Pennsylvania, we have some cool laws regarding RADAR. Specifically, only State Police can use RADAR, and they must be stationary when using it.

Unfortunately, that means that all local police use something like VASCAR, which is simply two white lines painted on the road a known distance apart. The VASCAR device has a button that they push when the vehicle of interest crosses the first line, and then they push it again when the vehicle crosses the second line. Since they entered the distance of the lines into the VASCAR machine, it gives them your speed and no radar detector can pick it up....

You gotta keep your eyes open for the white lines and police hiding spots, especially in smaller towns!

With regards to RADAR, I find that the smaller size of the motorcycle usually gives me plenty of time to slow down, as long as I'm not being a rocket.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just learned to slow down and enjoy riding my bike....people can wait for me to get there....im just that important to the world :D
I rarely cruise above 75...now if theres someone on a cellphone, I still pass them as fast as possible with as much room as possible...

You "get it"... You're a wise man and I can see a long life ahead of you...:thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It isn't so much the size of your bike as it is your headlights. They are designed to reflect light OR in this case they will reflect radar waves. So with big dual headlight reflectors on the FZ's and my FJR we will be easier to pick up than some small round light which they pick up just fine too.

Love my Valentine 1, saved me many a ticket.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clay, I've noticed that some of the roadside speed indicators don't pick up my bike, especially when I'm tucked. We definitely are a smaller target than a car but not sure if the roadside radar works the same as a cops handheld.
I think that's what you were looking for and not trying to hide your plate.

+1 on the side speed monitors.

It'll barely pick up my FZ (sitting upright too)and immediatly read the vehicle several hundred feet behind me..