Pipe Polish

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, what do you use to clean/polish the pipes? Not the exhaust, but the four pipes underneath the bike. I hear that polish can even take out the blueish tint they get from the heat, but I haven't seen what polish to use?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You need a blue job. :eek:

attachment.php

Works a treat.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, cool I will check these out. Thanks! I guess also... is there anything out there to definitely NOT use, that could be corrosive or anything like that? I'd hate to go find a polish that looks like it could do the job and then find out that it's going to eat my bike alive. :squid:

Dr.Volts

Dr.Volts
Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried two things. First I tried Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish. It polished nicely, but didn't remove the blue. The pipes looked rather gold, shiny but brownish gold. I didn't put a lot of elbow grease into this.

Then I tried Simichrome polish, applied generously with an old sock, with vigorous rubbing. It took away almost all the blue. I think I could have gotten rid of all of it if I worked harder. The pipes looked really good. Of course the blue/brown just comes back. I have used Simichrome on chrome and other metals for over 30 years without any problems. I don't have any long term experience using it on stainless steel.

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I have tried two things. First I tried Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish. It polished nicely, but didn't remove the blue. The pipes looked rather gold, shiny but brownish gold. I didn't put a lot of elbow grease into this.

Then I tried Simichrome polish, applied generously with an old sock, with vigorous rubbing. It took away almost all the blue. I think I could have gotten rid of all of it if I worked harder. The pipes looked really good. Of course the blue/brown just comes back. I have used Simichrome on chrome and other metals for over 30 years without any problems. I don't have any long term experience using it on stainless steel.

Simichrome and some elbow grease keeps my pipes looking nice. The trick is to not let them get too bad. Blue Job is OK, but requires a lot more effort.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too like the blued look. But yes, if I start getting chunky deposits then I'll work on them. Great tips and thanks to all for the answers! I'm sure the day will come when my buddy "Search" fixes this for me! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried Autosol, but it does not get the hardcore road grime off. In fact i have ridden in the rain so often lately, that i think my headers are permanently stained. :(