Pipe discoloration

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
everyone who's been concerned has said they just clean them a little elbow grease and they reckon they come clean.

H

HavBlue

Mine have been gold since day one and even with all the polishing they remain that way to this day, which is almost 4 years later.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
while cleaning my bike i tried a bit of polish and some hard rubbing and it seemed to have no change, i didn't use a buffer or polisher yet though. I can't see it while i am riding so it doesn't really bother me all that much.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know i have the tools and could probably do it, but how long does it take for them to discolor again?

for me i am not sure if it would be worth it to me. I will just buy the belly pan or full lower fairings :thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
reio it takes no time at all for them to discolor again.. how many miles do you have from new? it takes less than that :thumbup: full fairings may work but belly pan....no when i get some spare cash I am going to look into ceramic coating, obviosly black. but after i wash and wax and detail and i stand back and admire... those gold pipes stick out like a sore thumb!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
reio it takes no time at all for them to discolor again.. how many miles do you have from new? it takes less than that :thumbup: full fairings may work but belly pan....no when i get some spare cash I am going to look into ceramic coating, obviosly black. but after i wash and wax and detail and i stand back and admire... those gold pipes stick out like a sore thumb!

I'm about 840 miles in and if it won't last that long compared to what it takes to clean them i probably won't bother, but to each their own, maybe I'll do it once just to take pictures.

H

HavBlue

I'm about 840 miles in and if it won't last that long compared to what it takes to clean them i probably won't bother, but to each their own, maybe I'll do it once just to take pictures.

It takes me about 15 minutes to polish mine and they have yet to discolor. They remain a beautiful clean gold just as they were the day I bought it.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the finest steel wool you can get for the ultimate polished look. I haven't hit 100 miles and already have a tint on them. :D

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am not sure where the tread is, but we were all talking and i forgot who it was but he " used 1300 grit sand paper and some elbow grease and i think also steal wool (i cant spell), it took some time but when he finished they looked brand new just like out of the factory. I will go look for it but it was like it never was used.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Welding cleaner. Go to a plumbing shop and ask for WELDING CLEANER. You know how pipes get discolored when soldered? Welders put this gel-stuff on to clean it right back.

H

HavBlue

I just got done looking at a bunch of 2007 and 2008 FZ6 pictures only to find the new pipes are no longer gold. Rather, they look to be chrome but I doubt this is the case as to me it would be unlikely that Yamaha plated the headers.
When you folks say the pipes are discoloring, are they bluing or is it some other form of discoloration?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
'08 here and while new, it's starting to show a golden hue to it with bluish up near the heads...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
'08 here and while new, it's starting to show a golden hue to it with bluish up near the heads...

mine did the same.... I double checked the torque of the headerbolts @ my 600 mile service and found they were low by 10-15 ft-lbs.. after re-torque they have yet to turn blue again. possible exhaust leak?i dont know for sure.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got done looking at a bunch of 2007 and 2008 FZ6 pictures only to find the new pipes are no longer gold. Rather, they look to be chrome but I doubt this is the case as to me it would be unlikely that Yamaha plated the headers.
When you folks say the pipes are discoloring, are they bluing or is it some other form of discoloration?

I was wondering that when you said yours were gold from new, Charlie. mine were silver/polished when new and turned gold after use. I have polished them back but it takes no time at all to tarnish again.

solution: powder/ceramic coat black... anyone want to donate cash towards the fund? :D