Pin holes in front tire.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. For the longest time I have had a slow leak from the front tire on my FZ. I have just been dealing with it, airing up before each ride, very annoying. But today I finally got around to checking it out. After spraying soapy water all over the tire and inflating to 40psi, I found 5 or 6 tiny, tiny holes that were bubbling up.

My question for you guys is:

A. Has anyone ever seen this before? Where did all these tiny holes come from?

and

B. Would Slime Tubeless Tire Sealant be a good fix?

I have used Slime on tubed tires before, bicycles and what not. But I heard it will make a big mess of the inside of the wheel on a tubeless tire/wheel and some mechanics won't even deal with a tire/wheel that has slime in it because of the mess? Anyone have any experience with doing it?

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7arMgqBK8ljVVJRamJXUFAtRk0

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant answer the why, but if that is a manufacturing defect I would not want it on my bike......

If you opted to patch that area as something did peirce the carcass and it stops leaking, I would be ok with that. If it leaks after patching that area, thats a tire defect. Get it off your bike!!

You would be hated if you slime that. Just sayin....

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've heard from mechanics that slime is the worst, only use it if you are far from home as a last resort! I'm off this w/end down the peninsula, only a few hours from home but the tyre plugger kit is packed- If I need it I'm not far from help! wouldnt consider slime unless I was crossing the Nullabor
Sounds like the tyre is in serious trouble and needs replacing, how old is it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
5 or 6 tiny holes?? Plus one ^^^, either a tire defect or...

I'd like to see the inside of that tire but agreed with FI, loose that tire for safety's sake..

I wouldn't trust anything inside there with what your showing- simply not worth the potential crash..

*I would contact the manufacturer. Tell them about it and forward your video (but with all the other holes too).
You may get a new pro-rated tire or a free bee.

*DID chains replaced an X chain for me that was at least 2 years old and was spitting out the x-rings on my FZ.
They wanted the old chain back for inspection. Absolutely no charge.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Haha, seems to be a resounding NO on the slime, so I guess I will take that advice and pass on doing that.

I believe the tire is a Shinko 005 Advance. I was really broke at the time, and just took it to the shop and told them to put the cheapest tire they had on. It's the first Shinko that I have ever had. Usually I will sport for the Michelin Pilot Roads, but not this time. Regretting it....

I will contact Shinko and report back. I am not sure where my original receipt is, hopefully my mechanic still has the transaction on file.

The tire has about 7,500 mi on it. Not even close to the wear bars.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=14469]motojoe122[/MENTION] didnt you end up chucking a newer set of shinko'S for balance or bubbles or ___???

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=14469]motojoe122[/MENTION] didnt you end up chucking a newer set of shinko'S for balance or bubbles or ___???

Yes I did, front tire had a bulge just off center of the tread. It seemed like a decent tire, it handled ok for my first track day. Their quality control lacks still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
So just a little update for you all. I took it to the guy that put it on in the first place. I have had it on for just under a year. (1 year on 4-22) So after showing the mechanic where all the pin holes were, he got on the phone with his tire guy and the guy told him they would send him a free tire if he deems it under warranty. The mechanic said that he thinks it is, and I just have to cover the mounting/balancing fee ($25). Bottom line I am pretty happy! Got 8k miles on a tire, and get to throw another Shinko on there for $25. He told me explicitly to not put any slime or anything like that in there, so thanks for the good advice everyone. Haha. :Flash: