New to FZ6 - Couple Technical Questions

mobyjohnson

Reaction score
www.mobyjohnson.com
Aight, so - I just got a 2008 FZ6 (my 3rd bike) this past weekend and am just loving the thing so far. My last bike was a HD Sportster that I did all the maintenance on myself (insanely easy on those machines) but I am much less confident about doing anything on this bike until I really get to know it.

I haven't gotten the chance to punish her on the streets yet because she desperately needs a new front tire but hope to get that done this next couple of weeks. I've got a couple of questions for you guys though:

1) I will be taking the bike to the shop for the new tire next week and will have them take a look at everything (so far it all looks and sounds right) – anything I should have them look at specifically? The bike is a stock 2008 with a bit over 20k on it.

2) The front tire definitely needs replacement and the rear is maybe only a 1000 miles away from the low zone - should I just go ahead and replace both? I have been led to believe Road Pilot 2s are the way to go - to me it seems like I should just take on the cost now and do em both...does that sound about right?

3) It may be just the difference in bikes: mainly the move down from a large spoked front wheel to a smaller cast wheel or the shear difference in horsepower & torque but the front end feels a tiny bit shaky/wobbly. It seems like some turns make me a bit more uneasy and accelerating over bumps/potholes brings a lot more feedback up to the bars than I've felt on a bike before. Are the forks misaligned? Is the suspension just shotty or in need of a good draining? Is this just this bike and me not being used to it?

4) Just a quick question on where you guys normally keep your rear preload set? On the I changed the preload on the Harley and still do on my girlfriends SYM anytime I go from solo to two up (maybe a bit too anal) but in the past I've really found that there is always a sweet spot in the compromise between confidence inspiring stiffness through the turns (solo) and soft and comfy riding (two up) - too soft, and I feel a bit more uneasy about pushing the bike, too hard and I feel like my bike isn't the excellent machine it is. Anyways, just wanted to get your two cents on where to place it and how often you guys change it? Currently, I've got it set on 4 and hoping that will be enough to stay in place for the 150lb load of me and the 250lb load of me and the gf.

5) I've got framesliders and grip puppies (for my heated grips) in the mail already, what other major mods should I consider for kitting this thing out to 2 up touring? The corbin gunfighter and lady is already on my radar - but I'll wait until our butts are crying until I shell out that much cash, and I'll probably need to look into some hard/soft luggage for camping pretty soon.

I know this is practically a short novel but I really appreciate the input on any one of these questions. Thanks!

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. Pics of the bike?

About the seat, consider top saddlery or Russel. I had the TS and liked it for day trips and now I have the Russell and I think I could ride forever on this seat.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Steering head bearings can take on water and go bad. With a helper pushing on the back of the bike (or some dead weight) you can check these yourself. Should be SMOOTH and not rough or have ANY free play!

Most will over tighten the drive chain - The Fizzer likes it at the limit of the loose spec. Tight and free of lube - chain and gear box will be LOUD! Lube it and run it LOOSE at spec!

Grab yourself a FSM and start reading. You can grab the owners manual in PDF for free from Yamaha, but you need the FSM. LOTS OF GOOD INFO IN THERE!!!!

Change the coolant, brake fluid, oil and get your new tires. That's where I'd start!

As for the spring - I'm 200 lbs w/gear #5 for me. 2 up, add more!

Welcome!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

To add to Randys post, the chain should be adjusted to approx 2" at its taughtest point (total up and down).

Double click on the pic once it opens, it'll get larger..

Also, PM sent..

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The suspension is cheap and built for a 150lb rider with progressive springs up front, linear shock. It should feel great solo for you with fresh fork oil up and #3 setting on the shock.

Fork oil breaks down with age and the front end will feel horrible and affect steering. Old tires will also contribute to poor handling and lack of confidence.

Maybe someone on here can chime in with a good 2up suspension setup.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. Where are the photos?

+1 on what the others have said. The FZ6 is a easy bike to work on. Get the manual and check out the write-ups here (remember search is your friend). For work on the rear just put it on the center stand and to work on the front put it on the centerstand and support the front with blocks of wood under the header. Take your time, torque everything to specs except the bolts which hold the rear sprocket on - manual is wrong on those. I'd run the preload up a notch or two and see how it feels. With 20K it's not too soon to change the fork oil, pretty much just take the forks off and dump it out. To get a little stiffer front put 10 weight oil back in. Check your head bearings. As for tires I recommend replacing both at the same time - good to have a matching pair to keep the handling from getting weird. I'm partial to Michelin Pilot Road 2's and 3's.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a note, if you change to 10wt oil, expect a harsher ride over bumps. I found that I really disliked this, so I'm going to be changing back to 5wt when I do my fork seals this weekend.