Picked up used bike, noticed dent in front wheel

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!

Picked up my used 2007 FZ6 on Friday. Overall condition of the bike is amazing, but noticed the front wheel is a bit dented. might just be around the lip. Tire holds air fine. I took it for a spin around the block and didn't feel anything, but still. I basically just want to know if this is something I should be concerned with? I was thinking of waiting for warmer temps, then riding it to a shop and have them look at it. Just don't know if it's worth fixing/replacing, or if I should leave it alone.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd keep an eye out for a replacement. Its a cast wheel and although it bent one direction, I WOULD NOT try to bend it back as it will likely crack it.
I think there's currently one for sale on this forum.
Its not like a cage with three others. Error on side of safety IMO...

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd keep an eye out for a replacement. Its a cast wheel and although it bent one direction, I WOULD NOT try to bend it back as it will likely crack it.
I think there's currently one for sale on this forum.
Its not like a cage with three others. Error on side of safety IMO...

Agree!! And welcome!

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I kinda had a feeling i'd be looking for a new wheel. Hopefully they aren't too expensive. I looked in the for sale section and didn't see a front wheel, but I subscribed to the section so I'll keep an eye on it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
it's not dangerous as in you could get a blow out but it does leave the tire more susceptible to breaking the bead and deflating at that point if you were to hit something harsh like a pot hole or piece of solid debris in the road.

I would personally ride on that up to 65 mph but plan to have it fixed or get a new wheel asap.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
it's not dangerous as in you could get a blow out but it does leave the tire more susceptible to breaking the bead and deflating at that point if you were to hit something harsh like a pot hole or piece of solid debris in the road.

I would personally ride on that up to 65 mph but plan to have it fixed or get a new wheel asap.

Ok cool. Knowing I should be ok riding around town and stuff is good. Wasn't planning on doing any highway riding anytime soon, but once the weather gets more consistent, i'll plan on taking it to a local shop and have them look at it.

I'd almost rather just buy a new wheel and have them swap it for me real quick instead of having to send the wheel off for repair or being without the bike for a while. I'll call around and see what I can learn.

Anybody know if FZ6R wheels are the same as ours? There seems to be more of those available.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok cool. Knowing I should be ok riding around town and stuff is good. Wasn't planning on doing any highway riding anytime soon, but once the weather gets more consistent, i'll plan on taking it to a local shop and have them look at it.

I'd almost rather just buy a new wheel and have them swap it for me real quick instead of having to send the wheel off for repair or being without the bike for a while. I'll call around and see what I can learn.

Anybody know if FZ6R wheels are the same as ours? There seems to be more of those available.

There is currently a black 2007 FZ6 front wheel for sale on Ebay, $239 shipped.

2007 Yamaha FZ6 Front Wheel FZ 6 Front Wheel FZ6 Rim Front FZ Front Wheel | eBay

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Check out the list here..... R6 = YES, FZ6R = NO
5SL-25168-00-98 YAMAHA CAST WHEEL, FRONT

PS - IF you buy new, include the cost of bearings and seals. Bearings are damaged during removal.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
PS - IF you buy new, include the cost of bearings and seals. Bearings are damaged during removal.

Not sure what you mean by this? Why would bearings be damaged in removal of a wheel, especially if it's brand new? Not following. I've removed my wheels 5 times for tire changes. just cleaned the bearing dust seals well and re-greased them and never had a wheel bearing problem.

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by this? Why would bearings be damaged in removal of a wheel, especially if it's brand new? Not following. I've removed my wheels 5 times for tire changes. just cleaned the bearing dust seals well and re-greased them and never had a wheel bearing problem.

He's talking about removal of the bearing from the wheel which you would have to do to put bearings in the new front wheel if it didn't come with them in.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Start searching ebay, they pop up. I would get that switched out ASAP. Who knows, it might be perfectly safe. However, if it's not safe, you don't want to find out the hard way.

Yeah, definitely better safe than sorry. At least it's still winter and I have some time to find one before I'm really going to start putting miles on it.

I was thinking of calling a few shops in the area to see how much they'd charge me to swap the wheel out when I get one. Hopefully wouldn't be more than an hour of labor or so.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, that depends.
A "New" Wheel has no bearings. So add in new bearings and seals + installation. Plus you need the spacer which is cheap, but to use the old one, you have add time to extract a bearing to free it from the old wheel. That said, a used wheel is going to be much cheaper.

Did you click on the link above? It lists every bike that could be a donor. The R6 guys wreck constantly and have spare wheels. Go back up a few posts.... :thumbup:

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, that depends.
A "New" Wheel has no bearings. So add in new bearings and seals + installation. Plus you need the spacer which is cheap, but to use the old one, you have add time to extract a bearing to free it from the old wheel. That said, a used wheel is going to be much cheaper.

Did you click on the link above? It lists every bike that could be a donor. The R6 guys wreck constantly and have spare wheels. Go back up a few posts.... :thumbup:

I did see that huge list, thanks! i read somewhere else that the 03-06 R6 and some of the R6S models have compatible wheels, so this list is just much more detailed.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
mjesenovec: Did you see the Ebay link I gave you on the first page? There's a 2007 FZ6 wheel on Ebay right now, $239 shipped! Jump on it! Blah

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
mjesenovec: Did you see the Ebay link I gave you on the first page? There's a 2007 FZ6 wheel on Ebay right now, $239 shipped! Jump on it! Blah

Yep! I did see that, thank you. I'm currently PM-ing a member on this forum about a used front wheel. He's in CA and willing to ship. I'll see how that plays out first, then use the ebay one as a Plan B if this falls through.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It like many things today. , "Budget" I would get a quote for a repair and see how it favours with the price of amother wheel. Don't wait for the good weather. Remove the wheel now and get a quote.
Welcome to the site.
Nelly

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
For what its worth, i've had the same issue for a year now. No issues ever arose and it rides fine. I managed to hit a brick at 75mph and its been dented ever since. No plans to fix it unless it causes problems. I dont normally downplay safety but its $300 you can spend on anything else if it doesnt bother you.