pebbles have claimed another victim

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
so went on a ride to whistler on my 08 couple weeks back, on the way back the coolant temp was consistently higher than normal. a week later, went riding to squamish and that day was much hotter than the previous week. coolant temp shows 110C. i was convinced there is something wrong. back home and found a pebble lodged in the fan.

so did some research here and yah pebbles have claimed yet another victim. its going to cost me around $280 (new fan only). yikes!! so here is my question, what is your solution to this problem?? a fan shroud is a simple fix, and smaller sized fuse would definitely save the fan from burning out.
this is a very very avoidable problem that yamaha could have done to save their customers $$. anyways just ranting a bit.

one last question, i took the fan off, and i lucked out on disconnecting the fan connector. looking up with a mirror and flash light, there was no room at all for me to plug the fan back into the connector!!! it looks like its right underneath the battery. so i am wonder if anyone has done this before and have some advise on doing it. thanks all in advance!!

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your fan. I have had this trouble too as well and it was a pita.

To protect the fan, I personally believe that installing a belly pan is an elegant solution to the problem. From its position and shape, I think it deflects pebbles that could potentially lodge themselves in the fan. I have had a belly pan for 1-2 years now and haven't had this problem again. The other way is to build a custom shield of some sort. Scott in this forum has done such a custom shield. I also changed the fan fuse to a 10A (from 20A) about a year ago just in case. You have probably seen this thread about the fuse:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...our-radiator-fan-fuse.html?highlight=fan+fuse

As for the connector, I am not sure how you managed to disconnect it without removing other parts but the proper way of disconnecting and connecting it again is to lift the gas tank, remove air box, remove the battery, remove the battery compartment and then you should find your fan connector.

Good luck and report back on what you did. We like happy endings in this forum.

Last edited:

Speedie

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I too had the same problem and had to put around $250. Like elusive did, I too was suggested by my mechanic to install a belly pan. He told me that this was happening more often lately .

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: pebbles have claimed another FAN

Man, i thought you wrecked!

Mine locked up a while ago but not from an external force (pebble etc). Something inside which i caught on preride inspection. I got free by rotating both directions repeatedly and so far so good.

You might look for a 10A slow blow fuse but honestly, im not sure they make them in the style need (ATC). Just buss fuses. But you could break it out to a slow blow...