passing other vehicles

Where do you pass

• Total voters
I'll pass when safe. If I am in a residential zone then I will just cruise behind. Don't want to hit a kid. On the open road I'll pass when and where I feel the need.:thumbup:
Good point about residential and built up areas. I never exceed the speed in these areas.

I am trying to remember the last time I was out on a 2 lane road. That's depressing. I need to get out more.... I think my patience would get the best of me & I would pass over a double yellow line.

I usually ride the speed limit on surface streets. Once on the freeway, I am usually a few miles over the limit. Just keeping up with the flow of traffic around here means 70mph.

That includes even a broken yellow line. I dont give a rats *** what the traffic nannies think.
They put passing zones that can get you killed, and put no passing zones that are easily good areas to pass in.

More than cars oncoming, I look for hiding spots where someone can turn in. Oncoming is easy to see, they 78 buick that just pops out of driveway is the bad news. LOL

Yeah, or the UPS truck that pulls out as the bike is coming over a rise. Remember, passing zones are generally set up with cages and the relative speed limit in mind, not bikes that could zip through easily. Then again, they don't understand lane splitting around here either. They would just rather you were a piece of meat in the sheet metal sandwich. Now that can get you killed. Just one less bike on the road right??

I pass everywhere I want outside of residential areas (where there may be schoolkids who are, essentially, dumbasses when it comes to road safety). Double white lines are for cars with car levels of acceleration. I will overtake if I know I can make the pass, doesn't matter what the lines say. A bike can pass a car in 2 seconds whereas a car will take much longer, and they are much wider. Sometimes I will pass in a double white lines area and, because bikes are so slim, will not even have to hit the white lines. Cool!

I do, though, treat everyone as if they are stupid so I will never, ever, make a move dependant on someone doing somehting for me. I will not pass a car presuming it will move over. If they do then it is a nice surprise and I will give them a wave

Just a thought in reading much of this thread: Are we to obey the laws (road) we want and those that do not suit us we don't obey? I happen to agree with much of what I have read but I choose to keep things like passing legal regardless of the circumstance. Even the smallest of road bikes can do things, in terms of acceleration, a cage could never do. Having said this, it remains far from right or for that matter legal. Just because the machine is capable of doing something doesn't mean we should and in a number of cases we place ourselves within the realm of the squid.

Here, this should pretty much go along with much of the passing statements I have read here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqLCnvx_8s&NR=1"]YouTube - Yamaha Yzf R1 Turbo![/ame]

Here, this should pretty much go along with much of the passing statements I have read here.

YouTube - Yamaha Yzf R1 Turbo!
I thought that was an interesting video. Most of the people have mentioned safety, IMO the following bike was far to close, paying more attention to keeping his buddy in shot of the camera than keeping himself safe. The front rider obviously didn't care about safety as he was wearing a t-shirt?

Last edited:
Just a thought in reading much of this thread: Are we to obey the laws (road) we want and those that do not suit us we don't obey? I happen to agree with much of what I have read but I choose to keep things like passing legal regardless of the circumstance. Even the smallest of road bikes can do things, in terms of acceleration, a cage could never do. Having said this, it remains far from right or for that matter legal. Just because the machine is capable of doing something doesn't mean we should and in a number of cases we place ourselves within the realm of the squid.

the laws only because lawmakers are ignorant about motorcycling. there are tons of places where a car doesnt have room to pass, but a bike can with no problem. yet there is no indication that says only motorbikes are permited to pass, etc. why should we suffer because we are few when laws are made utside our intrests. if the majority rode bikes it wouldnt be an issue. i think its quite reasonable to use individual discretion when passing being how we really have no consideration when roads/laws are made.

Last edited:
the laws only because lawmakers are ignorant about motorcycling. there are tons of places where a car doesnt have room to pass, but a bike can with no problem. yet there is no indication that says only motorbikes are permited to pass, etc. why should we suffer because we are few when laws are made utside our intrests. if the majority rode bikes it wouldnt be an issue. i think its quite reasonable to use individual discretion when passing being how we really have no consideration when roads/laws are made.

In short this is exactly what I was referring to. Follow the laws that suit your fancy as opposed to remaining within the law because it is law. Don't misunderstand me, I break the law all the time and don't really care as I can afford the ticket. For those in the film. the passes made could have been quite safe so the term safety also becomes relative to the riders perceived notion and it may very from rider to rider. In other words any pass that fails to cause a wreck must be safe right???

As to the film. The following bike was likely not as close as perceived. The one thing bad about viewing film is we don't know what the aspect ratio was with regards to the camera lens so things aren't always as they appear.

my post, to me is ethical justification be damned about lawmakers. that vid is as much a lesson about target fixation and (in)ability to ride as it is about passing. probablly more so because that could have happened in a passing zone.

you know why there is no passing zone right...because of drive ways and not long enough straights for weaker cars. again the only reason some guys dont make a place a passing zone is because they are ignorant of motorbikes...but i guess u just take a more absolute view of "laws." where as i dont care so much as long as saftey and practicality are considered.

Last edited:
In short this is exactly what I was referring to. Follow the laws that suit your fancy as opposed to remaining within the law because it is law. Don't misunderstand me, I break the law all the time and don't really care as I can afford the ticket. For those in the film. the passes made could have been quite safe so the term safety also becomes relative to the riders perceived notion and it may very from rider to rider. In other words any pass that fails to cause a wreck must be safe right???

As to the film. The following bike was likely not as close as perceived. The one thing bad about viewing film is we don't know what the aspect ratio was with regards to the camera lens so things aren't always as they appear.
And doing those speeds in t-shirts is not stupid? Aspect ratio my ar$e, he was far more concerned with keeping his buddy in shot. There is no way that the following bike could have taken evasive action with out hitting the rider.

depends on mood and cercumstances, but I always try to make it safe in the context of riding a MC and its power to weight advantage...

I use the passing zones mostly and on country roads I wait until I can see far enough ahead. I don't take chances with double yellows, I want to live long enough to enjoy the bike as long as I can. Besides, I'm not in that much of a hurry, I'm out there to enjoy the ride. In town I stick pretty close to the speed limit, the police have no sense of humor.

I use the passing zones mostly and on country roads I wait until I can see far enough ahead. I don't take chances with double yellows, I want to live long enough to enjoy the bike as long as I can. Besides, I'm not in that much of a hurry, I'm out there to enjoy the ride. In town I stick pretty close to the speed limit, the police have no sense of humor.

I take my chances even with the double yellows.. Hehehehe:Sport:

Back