Owning an FZ6 and a Cruiser - Anyone?

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Does anyone here own both? I ride a 2007 FZ6 but just came across a great deal on a big cruiser.

A 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan® 1600 Nomad. Bike has only 11,000 kilometers on it. Owner is in his 60's and bought it new in 2007. He put a new tire on it. No mods all stock, it is mint showroom condition.

I always wanted a cruiser. I pick it up tomorrow.

I wanted to ask anyone who has both. What do you use when riding your cruiser for gear. I have boots, pants, jacket , gloves and full face helmet for my FZ6 rides, would I use the same gear on the cruiser?

2006-kawasaki-vulcan-1600-8_800x0w.jpg

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
LOL, thats just not me! I love my FZ6 but have some friends with cruisers and wanted one for some longer rides with them, plus wanted a bike that would be comfortable for my wife to ride 2up.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Not enough tattoos in that picture, and it should probably be a sleeveless leather vest.

Are you asking what people will assume you should wear on a cruiser?
Because its normally better to wear whats safe than what people expect/think is cool.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, thats just not me! I love my FZ6 but have some friends with cruisers and wanted one for some longer rides with them, plus wanted a bike that would be comfortable for my wife to ride 2up.
Seriously though i wear the the same gear for all types of bikes I own. It is mostly personal preference when it comes down to it.my gear is all solid black it realy goes with anything. :thumbup: :BLAA:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much the only reason to change your gear (aside from damage/wear) is if you feel it doesn't suit the look of your bike, assuming you think that way at all.
Some people love their all black leathers, metal spikes and jewelry, but thats generally if you fall for the HD lifestyle crap, which is how they sell pos bikes to so many people.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of my friends with cruisers wear black leather jackets and chaps, and some where full face helmets and a few have half helmets. One of my hard core friends that goes to Sturges wheres a leather vest over his other riding jackets and chaps, and healed boots.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
For me I would not feel right with out a full face helmet. I have ridden with jeans but they are the Joe Rocket Steel jeans.. I thnk these helmets look stupid! Wont protect your face!

2006-Kawasaki-Vulcan1600Nomada.jpg

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
love solid black. i think if i got a cruiser id get an open face helmet tho.

and i REAAAALY want one of the new thunderbirds:

Thunderbird-2.jpg

Thunderbird-4.jpg

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ever wear open face helmets! Since when is your face not part of your head? I wore an open face helmet when i was really young riding my first dirtbike and almost lost both front rows of teeth. They had to be glued and wired together, luckily i kept them all.

Open face helmets since then have never made sense to me.

"Hey, look! My face is severley disfigured and mangled but no brain trauma!"

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Vstar 1300 and love it for long trips and two up (not so common for me). I started on a cruiser and used to ride my sportbikes like cruisers. Now I ride sportbikes like sportbikes and now I ride my cruiser like a sportbike (when there are curves :D).

Cruisers give a different ride -- more relaxing and comfortable. The torque is way down low in the RPM range and it gives a hot-rod kind of feel. Cruising around on crowded area is easier on a cruiser too (feet closer to the ground, weight is very low).

I used to wear chaps until I discovered touring pants (chaps stay in the closet shelf now). I use full-face helmet for long trips due to noise. I wear my 3/4 open face helmet too. No I don't look like the guy in the picture above and don't have tattoos but once in a while get a fake one for fun at a fair to tease my daughter :D. I wear pretty much same clothes when on cruiser vs. sport bike. But I think my blue/white Joe Rocket jacket looks out of place on the cruiser.

Many days, I ride one bike and then jump on the other. I really love both but after an hour on the FZ6, I jump on the Vstar and say "now that's a bike" -- i.e., I can lay back, relax, and just ride. There are other days when I get off the Vstar and then jump on the FZ6 and say "now that's a freakin' bike".

Dennis

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going through this dilemma right now. I had a cruiser for 5 years and then last Spring decided to get the FZ to try something a bit more sporty. Well, I love the FZ on the back roads, but I hate it on the highway and since last Spring I have a new girlfriend that has a nice summer home on Cape Cod about a hour and 20 minutes of all highway riding.

So I'd love to find a find like that one. A cruiser for rides to the Cape and two up and the FZ for back roads around the central and western part of the state. Not sure I can afford two bikes unless I can find a hell of a deal on a used cruiser.

But as far as gear, I'm going to wear whatever protects me the best. I've always worn a FF - flip up helmet on both the cruiser and the FZ. A textile or my mesh jacket in the summer, Carhart double front pants and MC boots with gloves.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
My previous bike was a cruiser, also a kawi but smaller. You can tell they design them with half-face helmets (or no helmet) in mind with the placement of the speedo on the top of the tank. You can't see sh_t with a full face on, but that did not stop me from wearing a full face. I need my jawbone for stuff.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you wear diff gear on a cruiser compared to the FZ? Both are motorcycles and falling off any of them will require the same protection...

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to my FZ6 I also have this:
2cnt7rb.jpg

The FZ6 for me and the 950 for when the wife and I want to ride (or travel) or when I feel like a casual ride.

I made sure to buy riding gear I can swap between the two (meaning no Power Ranger style sportbike jackets!!).

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
I have / had (recentely sold it) a "power" cruiser.(Meanstreak) One of my riding buddies has the Nomad. He love's it. It is a nice bike , easy to ride, and comfortable. I've rode it on some 300-400 mile rides with him where we switched bikes. It was more comfortable than my cruiser over longer rides.(but mine;s more fun to ride)

Same protective gear applies. I have a leather jacket I tend to wear when it's cooler and a kevlar/mesh air flow that I wear when it's very warm. No matter which bike. I have a fullface flip up helmet. My buddy with the Nomad wears a 3/4 face helmet.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Shadow VT1100 along with the FZ6. I actually prefer the FZ6 on long highway rides. The only time the Shadow is a better ride is below 50MPH sight seeing rides. Up and down the coast sort of stuff.

Down side for me is the very different riding styles. The cruiser does not cut and weave. At least not without a lot of work. I also have a bad habbit of using the rear break too much on the cruiser. So going to the FZ6 has resulted in a couple rear tire skids and one get off. Going back to the cruiser has given me a couple scares as I attemped to corner a bit too fast for that bike. Or rather the comfort level of that bike. I've managed to make all the corners and stay on the road.

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
I started out with an old Silverwing, or at least it was until I got it running with parts from about 5 different bikes. I still have it, but it really is only for slow sightseeing kind of rides. I find myself using my newer FZ on a daily basis instead. Obviously still have the cruiser, but would sell it in a heartbeat for a decent offer. Anyone tries to buy my FZ and I will laugh.

As for gear, it's pretty much the same stuff. Safety is more important than style. A full face helmet is safer of course but for me I just think it looks out of place on a cruiser. I use an "eggshell" helmet that is extremely thin. The normal half shell helmets that are everywhere look like idiot/dunce caps. I know this is wrong, but I call them the "special-ed helmets".

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you wear diff gear on a cruiser compared to the FZ? Both are motorcycles and falling off any of them will require the same protection...

because on a cruiser id be slow and steady just farting around on the highways listening to the Eagles greatest hits :)

I miss not wearing a helmet from riding in India. I would never in a million years not wear a helmet again though, but i do miss the open air feeling.

on the FZ6 i ride relatively hard and the risk of falling at any given point is much higher than it would be if i got a royal enfield bullet or a cruiser of some sort.

just diff experience is all. open face would accentuate the difference is all. and its not like it would be my permanent helmet for a cruiser....only on days i was on the mood for it. i still enjoy full faced and recognize its superior protection.

Don't ever wear open face helmets! Since when is your face not part of your head? I wore an open face helmet when i was really young riding my first dirtbike and almost lost both front rows of teeth. They had to be glued and wired together, luckily i kept them all.

Open face helmets since then have never made sense to me.

"Hey, look! My face is severley disfigured and mangled but no brain trauma!"

some days i go out riding without wearing my spine protector and wearing jeans not proper riding pants. some days i dont wear my leather jacket. the VAST majority of the time i wear all my gear, but on days I know Im just going to be doing like 40kph around empty roads i dont see myself as taking a massive risk.

but yes, the vast majority of the time i wear leather jacket, riding pants, sidi boots, knox chest/spine protector, FF helmet.

:)