Other forum member in brewing class 2/7/09?

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
I took an all grain brewing class yesterday (2/7/09) at 'The Beverage People' in Santa Rosa. There was another gentleman riding an FZ6 there, blue with black frame.
I had to take off immediately after class and didn't have time to hang around and find out if he was a forum member.
Was it one of you? If so, I'll see you next Saturday!

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took an all grain brewing class yesterday (2/7/09) at 'The Beverage People' in Santa Rosa. There was another gentleman riding an FZ6 there, blue with black frame.
I had to take off immediately after class and didn't have time to hang around and find out if he was a forum member.

It wasn't me but home brewing is awesome!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude I did'nt know you could take a class to learn to brew BEER!!!!! That's Awesome!!! I feel like a bright light just hit me in the face and i hear beautiful music!!!!! LOL

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
18 years of homebrewing here. All grain is the way to go:thumbup:
can brew a decent beer for around $15 for 2 cases or a fantastic beer for around $30/2 cases.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only been extract brewing for a bit over 3 years now, really enjoy it! Just trying to take it to the next level and go all grain.

The guy that teaches this class, and runs the local fermentation supply store, is an old school homebrewer and has a lot of great stories and insights, so the class is prettty fun!
Started with a cream ale, infusion mashed, based on two row lager malt.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like a lot of fun!!! How much did the class run ya... If you don't mind me asking...

$40.00
You get two 3 hr classroom sessions in which you brew two, 10gal batches of beer, 1 per class session.
Then in April you have a beer tasting session where you taste 30 different styles and learn the characteristics of each style. You also bring the beers that you made and sample those.
The teacher is the author of, 'Brewing Quality Beers', Byron Burch. I don't know how widely his book is distributed, but he's one of the original home brewers from this neck of the woods and a local legend type. He's definitely not making money off the class with all the stuff we're getting for $40. He really loves home brewing and teaching others to do it. I can tell he likes having an audience for his stories too, but that's cool because he was around from the beginning of the whole West Coast craft brewing revolution and has the inside info on all the legends, Anchor, Sierra Nevada, etc...:D
Obviously though, the more we all brew, the better his supply store does, so there is some business logic to his madness.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
$40.00
You get two 3 hr classroom sessions in which you brew two, 10gal batches of beer, 1 per class session.
Then in April you have a beer tasting session where you taste 30 different styles and learn the characteristics of each style. You also bring the beers that you made and sample those.
The teacher is the author of, 'Brewing Quality Beers', Byron Burch....

Is there a web site with more information? I am going to be up there in early May and late June and would like to "drop in" on this place to see his store. There is a similar place in San Diego, Home Brew Mart, that has a tasting area in the store for sampling local home brews. Although I don't do homebrewing I really appreciate fine craft beers.

Thanks for the discussion guys.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
3hr seems kinda short. It typically takes me closer to 4 or 5 hours. A lot of that is prep/sterilization but still there's at least 2.5 hours in mashing/boiling time.

That's cool that you guys have classes with real knowledgeable people. We don't have much of a community here in KY, the best advice I get is from chatting up the old belgium lady at the supply store. If you are looking for a good book to help you build out your recipes I HIGHLY recommend this one [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Great-Beers-Ultimate-Brewing/dp/0937381500/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234197359&sr=8-9]Amazon.com: Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles: Ray Daniels: Books[/ame].

Good Luck!

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a web site with more information? I am going to be up there in early May and late June and would like to "drop in" on this place to see his store. There is a similar place in San Diego, Home Brew Mart, that has a tasting area in the store for sampling local home brews. Although I don't do homebrewing I really appreciate fine craft beers.

Thanks for the discussion guys.

Here's their website, don't know if the class info is on there or not.
http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
3hr seems kinda short. It typically takes me closer to 4 or 5 hours. A lot of that is prep/sterilization but still there's at least 2.5 hours in mashing/boiling time.

That's cool that you guys have classes with real knowledgeable people. We don't have much of a community here in KY, the best advice I get is from chatting up the old belgium lady at the supply store. If you are looking for a good book to help you build out your recipes I HIGHLY recommend this one Amazon.com: Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles: Ray Daniels: Books.

Good Luck!

Yes, 3hrs is short! In the first class we learned about malting, went through the mashing and sparging process, and learned the theory of "First Hops". After this, the class was technically over.
If you wanted to stay around for the boil, you could, but since the boil is pretty much the same for either extract or all grain, it wasn't required. My wife wanted me home, and as she's 5 months pregnant, she gets what she wants!
Byron recommended that book as well, I'll pick it up from him this Saturday.