2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 7 - last day (demo'd ZX6R, Hayabusa GSX1300R, Kawi Versys, Modified FZ-

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last day of mancation.. I SO don't want it to end, but reality beckons.

Finally met Marthy today. He rode 200 miles just to hang out here for a day. He's most likely still on the road now (doing the 200 to get back). Met with AngelFZ and his girl again and we all got to hang out together here and there. So much more fun to do this with friends! Really glad you guys came out :thumbup:

On to the *reviews*. I won't talk about ZX6R, as I already covered it in one of the other posts.. just a great example of a 600 supersport.

First up was the Busa:

attachment.php

As expected, very similar to ZX14. Loads of torque from way down low and if you get it past 7-8k rpm.. let's just say it's anything, but slow :D
While I can't call it comfortable, the ergonomics are not quite as aggressive as on supersports (like most 600's and 1000's). I still don't think I could ride it all day like I can the FZ1, but I could probably do an hour or so without too much discomfort.
What I liked better about Busa over ZX14: not nearly as much heat coming off the engine at the stops.
The not-so-great: the bike did not want to go into 1st from neutral. I clicked down 3-4 times.. nothing. Gave it a bit of revs and clicked down and it went in. Maybe it was the beat up demo bike.. it does seem to attract all the tards :rolleyes:

Next up was the Kawasaki Versys

attachment.php

I went into this demo with very high hopes. Having read so many positive reviews, I assumed this bike would be highly enjoyable .. perhaps a *better* version of V-Strom (ergonomics are very similar, but no large front wheel and no knobby tires, which I thought would add up to better street performance).
I am sorry to say that I was extremely disappointed.
I can't even think of many positive things to say about this bike.. I suppose it does feel quite light once it's moving and it's very easy to initiate lean on this bike. Transmission is very smooth and clutch is progressive and forgiving.
The cons:
Very weak front brake. I typically use 2 fingers on just about any bike. I had to go to 4 on this one and it was still taking a whole lot of squeezing to get this thing to bite. Perhaps this isn't typical for this bike and it was once again a beat up demo model? :don'tknow:
Terrible vibration! This bike is anything, but powerful.. really not much happening down low (unlike V-Strom 650, which will pull happily from 3k RPM), BUT at 5k RPM, where it has some pull, the vibes are really uncomfortable. This makes the mirrors very blurry at certain RPMs.
Another odd trait: the steering feels tight at very low speeds. This could once again be a demo bike issue, but I've not experienced this on any other bike.. normally bikes start to hunt a little once you bring the speed way down to barely moving.. this one just felt like the head bearing was over-tightened, but it never felt like it wanted to fall over, so at least that was good.
In my opinion, V-Strom DL650 is a much much better bike and anyone considering Versys needs to test ride both (or just trust me and get a V-Strom.. :rof: )

And finally, the modified FZ-09:

abagahe2.jpg

Stealing Marthy's pic (that's me with Marthy's FZ-09 bike, and my FZ1 in the background). He took my FZ1 and I took his FZ-09 and we went for a short ride (same 20 minute demo loop with some nice sweeping curves).

Wow!! Just as I thought.. the platform is there and with a bit of work, this bike is fantastic!! His exhaust makes really lovely deep noise. Suspension is 99% better than stock with minimal investment (I believe he just got stiffer springs and heavier oil and replaced rear shock with a used one from ZX10, for very little money). Juice box solved the throttle tip in / roll off issue and that's pretty much it.. a completely different animal! Highly highly enjoyable and it pulls like stink! It actually has quite a bit more low end than my FZ1 (from about 2.5k RPM) I would gladly own this bike.
Well done, Marthy!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah ah! Was great meeting you and finally have the opportunity to throw a leg over a FZ1. Different animal... nice mellow bottom end and I didn't have enough room to "let it breathe" but even with the DBKbin place I can tell that thing has some serious top end. Ergo is what I liked the best. That big fat gas tank make the bike easier to drive fast compare to the FZ09.

Hope to do that again next year. Now that I ride the ZX-10... and with your feedback, I need to tweek my suspension some more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the write ups, Eric!
As I read each one I hear Charlie Brown's teacher.....wawawaw...buy an FJR....wawawawawa....buy an FJR!
Thanks buddyBlah

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Appears you filled out a lot waiver forms this week. That was real cool for a couple of the forum members to take the time and meet up with you.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, where do you get time to do all these write ups and upload all the pictures???
It was great meeting you and seeing Marthy again.

I do have to say, the demo rides where a completely different experience having Erci insights and tips.

Thanks and have a safe trip back home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, where do you get time to do all these write ups and upload all the pictures???
It was great meeting you and seeing Marthy again.

I do have to say, the demo rides where a completely different experience having Erci insights and tips.

Thanks and have a safe trip back home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm back home (the drive was just short of 16 hours.. worth it though!)

Easy to do write-ups and post pictures.. no other responsibilities in FL. This was, after all, my vacation :D

I'm already looking forward to next year (hope we'll be able to hang out again!)

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back home (the drive was just short of 16 hours.. worth it though!)

Easy to do write-ups and post pictures.. no other responsibilities in FL. This was, after all, my vacation :D

I'm already looking forward to next year (hope we'll be able to hang out again!)

I'm glad to read you are safe back at home.
I'm sorry bikeweek is over.
For sure, you know where to find me next year, and if you are not able to wait a full year there will be demo rides during the AIMExpo and Biketoberfest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your demo posts. I really enjoyed them.

Sadly, I completely agree with you about the Versys. I also had high expectations. I couldn't wait to get off that thing when I tried it last year in Daytona. As you stated, and in my view as well, the DL650 is miles better. BTW, the windscreen on the DL650 is adjustable to three positions, but you need to stop, take tools out and then reposition.

Also good to know that the FZ-09 is fixable. Now that they are coming out with a FJ-09, I hope Yamaha addresses these concerns before it even gets into the box.

Goes to show how important demos are when finding the right bike.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you were able to meet Martin, great dude. I met him a couple years ago when he was coming through my area. Too bad it wasn't night time so you could try the headlight that I did for him!

Awesome that Marthy was able to get to ride your FZ1, since he has been drooling over mine since I bought it. I thought he was going to buy one, but then Yami brought out the 09 and he fell in love. Great demo right ups!! Great reads for anyone in the market. Glad you had a fun vacation.