OT: Post your scam stories

Jlip06

Reaction score
Visit site
The first time i was selling on ebay, I was selling a broken Iphone... The screen was cracked and the touch screen didn't work (this was all said in the auction listing). The price was like 100, (this was when the phone just came out)... I had a guy tell me that if I ended the auction early and sold to him he would pay 500 dollars plus shipping to china or where ever... although 500 sounded great, I figured it was definatly to good to be true. It was his sons Birthday and he needed one FAST!!! I wondered why anyone would buy their son a birthday present that was broke and didn't work, lol. The phone ended up selling for like 160.

Then after that, I was buying my next iphone on ebay and desided to buy from a person with 100% feedback, I guess he thought he could sell the same Iphone to 3 different people because when i didnt get the phone a week later i filed a claim with ebay and paypal. The money was put back into my account and the guy told me that he was 500 dollars negative in his bank account because of paypal taking my money back from his account. He told me that he was shipping the iphone and asked for me to close the claim, however I read on paypal that once the claim is closed I would not be able to reopen a claim on the same Item... I told the guy that i will close the dispute when i get the phone. All and all ended up working out for me, but unfortuantly the others had to just leave negative feedback for the guy and then his account was suspended from ebay the same day.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
When I was fifteen I sold a radio control airplane to a guy. He loaded it up and told me that he'd come back the next day with his checkbook. Never heard from him again. Lesson learned.

I mentioned this to my dad the other day, and he remembered who the guy was and where his business was. My reply,"Well, the next time you see him, tell him that he still owes me $90."

That's the last time I got scammed.

Last edited:

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a funny one yesterday. I got a letter in the mail addressed to "current resident". It was from a pest control company and the letter said that I owed $1200 dollars from past services. I immediately started laughing because the only name on the "bill" was current resident. I jokingly told my wife that I was going to call the number on the letter and say "Hello, this is Mr. Current Resident and I am calling to pay the $1200 I owe" and see what they say.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't believe these f***ers!!!!

From today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Suzuki GSX-R600 plastics / windshield / mirrors - $730 (Long Beach)

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: craigslist | about > scams

Am intrested in buying this Items kindly get back to me
Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On 7/7/09, David ******* <da*******@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hey Paul, the item is still available.

David.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:53 PM
To: David *******
Subject: Re: Suzuki GSX-R600 plastics / windshield / mirrors - $730 (Long Beach)

Hello
Thanks for the prompt response and i will love to make an instant purchase, so pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist, i don't mind adding an extra $50 dolls for you to take the advert down from criagslist so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via check, or money order and it will be over night payment due to the distance. You don't need to bother yourself with the shipment ok, i will take care of that. So i will need you to provide me with the following
information to facilitate the mailing of the check or money order via to .
1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address be it residential or postal address
3.Your Phone Number.
**Once again, I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check** Have a nice day
Fred Gardener

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:01 PM
To: 'fred gardener'
Subject: RE: Suzuki GSX-R600 plastics / windshield / mirrors - $730 (Long Beach)

So "Paul" emails me about my “item” and then "Fred" takes over huh? LOL

You fuc*ing scammers are clueless and quite stupid… I can see you coming from miles away with your fake checks and personal freight forwarders… common… people still fall for that sh*t?

Get a life looser.

David

Is it because I am selling gixxer parts that these scammers are targeting me? They must know about the "gixxer = stupid squid" thing huh? lol

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a guy i "know" not friend... "know" .. had a truck for sale 3g's... guy emailed him from florida (we live in baltimore md) and said he wanted the truck, he would give him $4gs... (like anyone will offer more than your asking) he said he was gonna send his movers and a check, guy i know falls for it. This is where it gets good.... he gets the check... $6gs! , so he quickly replies, hey you sent too much, the guy goes. oh i did, well cash it, keep $100 for your honesty and western union the rest back to me. he takes the check to the bank, for some dumba$$ reason they cash it, but freeze his account till it clears... then the dude sends him the title to the truck and the extra 3gs (or whatever it came out to) you guessed it... a week later bank calls up... its a bad check...

also, my father in law is selling his boat on CL. I told him all the scams, so far he has three people offer more than 8G's for his 6g listed boat, and one was a "priest"... "priests wouldnt lie!"

I jsut sold my juice box on CL... Then got 3 diff emails about a week after selling it (good sale) that said EXACTLY the same thing with diff email addresses and signatures. All with smiles at the end of the email too... I promptly replied back to send the checks, but the price had been doubled! haha, never heard back

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
So, you guys tell me. I see a Toyota Tacoma on the local classifieds site for $5650. It's the 2006 full-cab, SR5 4x4. This is the truck I have been looking for and I haven't done a whole lot of research yet to know that it is an AMAZING price. I just thought it was really good, and wanted to see if there was anything wrong before I drove 70 miles to go check it out. I try calling the guy and the phone number doesn't work, so I email him:

Malcom,

Hello, I am inquiring about the Toyota Tacoma you have listed on KSL. I tried to call you, but for some reason the phone number didn't work. I was just curious to know if there was anything wrong with the truck. Thank you for any information you can provide.

-Ben

This is his response two days later:

Hi,
I'm the owner of the 2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 with 38,111 miles on which you've recently shown interest. The car is in excellent shape and in perfect running condition. I am located in Sarasota, FL now. The price for the car is $5,650.You are welcomed to come and pick it up but If you are not able I can help you with the delivery for no extra fees because my wife works at the delivery company and we benefit of their services for free once per year. The transaction will be made through eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection program for our own protection. You will have 5 days to inspect and test drive it upon arrival with no obligation to buy it. If you wish to go on, please get back to me with your full name and your delivery address so we can initiate the transaction.
Have a nice day,
Malcolm

Scam? Almost definitely. What do you guys think? Should I write a scathing email in response?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
So, you guys tell me. I see a Toyota Tacoma on the local classifieds site for $5650. It's the 2006 full-cab, SR5 4x4. This is the truck I have been looking for and I haven't done a whole lot of research yet to know that it is an AMAZING price. I just thought it was really good, and wanted to see if there was anything wrong before I drove 70 miles to go check it out. I try calling the guy and the phone number doesn't work, so I email him:

Malcom,

Hello, I am inquiring about the Toyota Tacoma you have listed on KSL. I tried to call you, but for some reason the phone number didn't work. I was just curious to know if there was anything wrong with the truck. Thank you for any information you can provide.

-Ben

This is his response two days later:

Hi,
I'm the owner of the 2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 with 38,111 miles on which you've recently shown interest. The car is in excellent shape and in perfect running condition. I am located in Sarasota, FL now. The price for the car is $5,650.You are welcomed to come and pick it up but If you are not able I can help you with the delivery for no extra fees because my wife works at the delivery company and we benefit of their services for free once per year. The transaction will be made through eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection program for our own protection. You will have 5 days to inspect and test drive it upon arrival with no obligation to buy it. If you wish to go on, please get back to me with your full name and your delivery address so we can initiate the transaction.
Have a nice day,
Malcolm

Scam? Almost definitely. What do you guys think? Should I write a scathing email in response?

smells of scam to me!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is one for ya....

You guys will know Wolfman (Jamie Woolford) on this forum. Well I paid over $200 Aud for some front forks he had for sale. Long story short, i'm still waiting after 9 months for the forks or refund. Everytime I call or email me he comes up with a new excuse or says he is busy and will call back...he never does! This man has stolen my money and I am asking him or any of his friends on this forum to get him to do the right thing and return the money.

So a word of warning to all you guys, do not buy anything off this twat! He is a liar & a thief!!

so is this like a scam story???? :rolleyes:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is one for ya....

You guys will know Wolfman (Jamie Woolford) on this forum. Well I paid over $200 Aud for some front forks he had for sale. Long story short, i'm still waiting after 9 months for the forks or refund. Everytime I call or email me he comes up with a new excuse or says he is busy and will call back...he never does! This man has stolen my money and I am asking him or any of his friends on this forum to get him to do the right thing and return the money.

So a word of warning to all you guys, do not buy anything off this twat! He is a liar & a thief!!

I just helped Wolfman move all his FZ6 bits and pieces and the only forks he's got there are the 07 ones off of Pinky, so I know the 06 ones are gone. No way on earth could I for a second entertain the thought that he's done anything but try to get those forks over to you.

I reckon I even saw them wrapped up at one point ready to send off. (Ages ago, right next to the table thingy I put my iced coffee on last night). I remember how happy he was that he'd sold them at an awesome price to another Aussie off the forum (gave him a warm fuzzy feeling....I can remember it clearly).

He's tried unsucessfully to pay you more than once and then the payment went through but you've not recieved that either?

If you know Wolfman, you know how crazy this sounds....seriously.

If you've not recieved either the goods or the money, then I can well understand your frustration, but something seems a little off to me.

I'd be very interested in finding the con note from the delivery company involved and having a look at the address and signature. Having worked for this company as a driver a number of years ago I know how reliable they are.

Also the bank should be able to trace where the funds were sent.

No way has he tried to scam you mate. No way can I believe that for a second.

Yes I am his mate, and no I wouldn't say this if I thought he'd done the wrong thing. He wouldn't be my mate if I thought he was capable of this. I'm very concerned to see anyone, but especially a fellow rider, getting mistreated in any way and I'd like to see this resolved. I'll be happy to try and help in any way, not that I can do much.

svashist

Reaction score
Visit site
Lot of people think paypal is a safer way of payment.

I tend to disagree. Only safety with paypal is that your bank / CC details are not exposed. Otherwise its as good as handing over cash / western union / moneygram.

I've had this experience with paypal & trust me they are not going to help you get your money back or reverse the transaction if you got scammed. All they will do is to tell you to contact the seller.

:spank: Paypal only guarantees eBay transactions.

zuull

Reaction score
Visit site
Was selling my 82 virago on craigs list asking $1200.
Received this response.

i will like to make an offer of $1,300.....i want to buy it for my
husband,because he love it...
but i can only pay through paypal,i will arrange for the picking up of
the item.....i will be looking forward to hear back fro you
thanks.....

Checked out and found that there have been problems with paypal scams on
craigs list.Things to watch out for are people with bad grammar,and
people that will have someone else pick up the item.
Ended up selling it for $1150 cash.(but can you tell if cash is counterfeit?):eek:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got this today, its not even my name on the e-mail. I scanned the attachment and Norton said it was an unknown virus.

I have no idea what its about, probably asking for my Visa?

Nelly

PS this doc does not contain the file. It is a screen shot of the message I received.

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
So your computer said the file had a virus and so you proceeded to upload it here for other ppl to open it for you?

LOL nice one Nelly :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So your computer said the file had a virus and so you proceeded to upload it here for other ppl to open it for you?

LOL nice one Nelly :D
I may be daft mate but I am not stupid. I have taken a screen shot of the e-mail. So that people could see the wording. I did not upload the file. Hence I scanned it first. See clever me. The e-mail is asking me to download an invoice.
I still can't get my head around posting a screen shot so I used an attachment. I hope this clarifies the situation for you lol.

Nelly

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lot of people think paypal is a safer way of payment.

I tend to disagree. Only safety with paypal is that your bank / CC details are not exposed. Otherwise its as good as handing over cash / western union / moneygram.

I've had this experience with paypal & trust me they are not going to help you get your money back or reverse the transaction if you got scammed. All they will do is to tell you to contact the seller.

:spank: Paypal only guarantees eBay transactions.
I've had problems with paypal - they opened an investigation then refunded my money.

If it's a valid claim, you get your money back.

No problem. It's a safe way to go.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I may be daft mate but I am not stupid. I have taken a screen shot of the e-mail. So that people could see the wording. I did not upload the file. Hence I scanned it first. See clever me. The e-mail is asking me to download an invoice.
I still can't get my head around posting a screen shot so I used an attachment. I hope this clarifies the situation for you lol.

Nelly

I was messing with you of course! :BLAA::D