Okay Delkevics are just too loud. What now?

Fz6Junkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Short and sweet.The Delkevic slip-on is awesomely loud and the carbon fiber exterior is sooo much better looking than the stock plastic rocket ship-looking cover. But, it's just getting annoying on our long rides through the mountains and farm lands. Because I'm a nice guy, I constantly pull the clutch in when passing farm animals near the side of the road on their land because I can see the ears start to stick up and then they typically haul ass into the middle of the field. I'm not even going fast and the rpms are around 3k-4k. That and it's just too loud for me and the wife when we're just trying to soak up the scenery.

So, I got the Delkevics because they sounded bad ass and the cost was a huge savings over the other popular guys. So what else is out there that is quieter until wide open but not so buzzy sounding like the stock mufflers? Like a dumb ass, I threw out the stock ones out so if there is really nothing out there that works or I can't afford, I guess I'll look online for the original stock ones again. Yuck! Maybe I'll trade with someone who wants the Delkevics and has something more subdued.

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_120132400.jpg
    IMG_20190126_120132400.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I stuffed my inner baffles with stainless steel exhaust packing and wrapped the baffles with fibre glass woven matting, that worked really well

Fz6Junkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I have the patience for that but out of curiosity, how much or how little do you put in and when does it start affecting back pressure and performance of the engine?

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I have the patience for that but out of curiosity, how much or how little do you put in and when does it start affecting back pressure and performance of the engine?
I believe most exhausts look like in the pics attached; you're not stuffing the pipe, but the space between the pipe and the outer "coat"concept_muffler_explosion_muffler_with_diffuser_1.jpg
f2e62683fb107d9f88f79e68711ae352.jpg

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didnt pack it tightly It is enough to disrupt the exhaust flow, but not impede the flow and create loads of Back pressure. I havnt measured it, but compared to the tight packing of the complete can, I figure its about 5-10% density. The packing in the main part of the cans is really really dense! more than you do by hand I would think

Fz6Junkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, a few more noob questions.
1) Did you add to the factory packing or replace it?
2) If you added, did you blend your materials with theirs or just added yours to pack it tighter?
3) Denser means quieter?

Went looking for info on Delkevics and some of their models are called "oval silencers" but when you watch the video, it looks and sounds the same as what I have. So does silencer mean something different in the UK?
They don't have an Fz6 run but here is an Fz8
https://youtu.be/e3W2dIgR5zA?t=26

Just brought my issue up to a friend at work who used to ride and he's giving me his R1 under-seat stock exhaust. I read it may be more trouble than it's worth since there may be some cutting and welding to make it fit but he says if I end up not using them, just sell em or junk em.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya,
When I was starting to look at the noise issue I undid the cap on one can( drilled out the rivets) and found that the packing is incredibly tight and I found that it was hardly scorched even tho I had been running them for 18 months and I bought them from another member who had them on for a year.
Thats why I went down the road of filling the baffle. I read quite a bit about exhausts and how they work- its all about disrupting the flow apparently

Fz6Junkie

Reaction score
Visit site
So here is an update to this thread I started about quieting down my exhaust. I was just handed a pair of never-used 2011 YZF R1 exhausts that my co-worker figured I could make work on the FZ6. I saw this in a different thread on this site:

FZ6 2 Bros part number: Carbon Fiber M-2 Muffler Canister 005-125-207

R1 2 Bros part number: M-2 Muffler Canister Carbon Fiber 005-238-207

The materials and dimensions, with regard to height and width, as well as ID and OD are the same for all M2 Exhaust canisters. The only variance would be in the length.

If this is the case, I may be able to retrofit these on my bike as they're the exact sound I'm looking for. The info above was from a post on 600riders from a guy asking if his FZ6 exhaust would fit on his R1 and in his case, the FZ6 pipes would be a bit shorter. I guess I would have the opposite problem of too much which I could get cut down. Seems to be an easier problem to deal with then having to add. On the R1, the sides of the exhaust stick out on the side of the rear seat which is probably why there's a plastic cover on the outside of each exhaust. I'll have to do some measuring to see if they do that under my rear seat but, the FZ rear seat area looks wider than the R1.

My worry is the angle of the R1 pipes look a lot steeper than the FZ. I can't upload a sample for some reason but it's an easy Google search. I know someone that can cut the pipes but not bend them. May be a deal breaker.

Last edited: