ok...STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!!

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually it is the riders responsibility to ride properly. If he or she is that easily distracted they shouldn't be riding. If they are "showing off" for the camera, I think Darwin had a theory....................

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if we all did stupid things whenever a camera was around there would be a lot more bans on cameras. camera or not they should be riding within their capabilities.

A lot of the photographers down there use a camera stand with either a remote control or a motion sensor to trigger the pictures. the camera's are hardly noticeable.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG, the reason why all those accidents happen in the first place is the fact these photographers are on the side of the road distracting riders.

As mentioned, target fixation. We do it subconsciously, may it be a police car, traffic accident, or stalled car...anything out of the ordinary we'll lose focus.

While it's not illegal for them to do this, I suppose we as riders must remember to not get overconfident, don't be a show off and stay focus. Or you'll end up having your entire accident photographed.

You've got to be kidding. How about taking some responsibility for your own actions. No, of course not, the answer is to create more laws to idiot proof the world at the expense of everyones' freedom. They don't use a FLASH.

Actually it is the riders responsibility to ride properly. If he or she is that easily distracted they shouldn't be riding. If they are "showing off" for the camera, I think Darwin had a theory....................

seriously

A lot of the photographers down there use a camera stand with either a remote control or a motion sensor to trigger the pictures. the camera's are hardly noticeable.

I've never heard of or seen that when I've been down there.

Funny side note: there is an image of KILLBOY on google maps...he photographing the google car that is photographing him.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
My appologies DefyInertia, maybe I didn't express myself correctly.

Upon clicking on the link for Killjoy's work, this was the picture that stuck in my head:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/2178180041_9f8e0f0a15_o.jpg
From a rider's point of view. A row of cars like billboards on the side of the road with people pointing equipment at me.

Simplying expressing a different possiblity in the beginning of my comment. But please help me understand, the last part of my comment:

"I suppose we as riders must remember to not get overconfident, don't be a show off and stay focus"

Was it because I should have use the word "suppose"? Or did you jumped to comment without reading the last part?:(

What I wanted to express is that every rider must stay focused at where they're going.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My appologies DefyInertia, maybe I didn't express myself correctly.

Either that or you're back peddling

Upon clicking on the link for Killjoy's work,

Is KILLJOY a typo on your part?

Was it because I should have use the word "must" instead of "suppose"? Or did you jumped to comment without reading the last part?:(

I read your comment as a whole and then read everyone else's as well.

Are you forgetting everything you wrapped around that statement? See below

What I wanted to express is that every rider must stay focused at where they're going.

If that's what you wanted to express, ok, I believe you. :rolleyes: It's just funny that you decided to write the following:

OMG, the reason why all those accidents happen in the first place is the fact these photographers are on the side of the road distracting riders.

As mentioned, target fixation. We do it subconsciously, may it be a police car, traffic accident, or stalled car...anything out of the ordinary we'll lose focus.

While it's not illegal for them to do this, I suppose we as riders must remember to not get overconfident, don't be a show off and stay focus. Or you'll end up having your entire accident photographed.

For what it's worth, "these photographers" who are out there causing all these accidents do more to keep that road a safe place than anyone else.

Motorcycles are not for everyone and it's the riders responsibility to keep it under control regardless. :thumbup:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah that was cool! In pic 3 you can see he was going for the chin and knee caps first approach to landing on pavement, then in pic 5 I his injured, shoeless leg looks kind of gnarly, but then in the last one he's using it to get up. Either it didn't break or he's in shock and damaging it more, then again we'd all do the same if we were sprawled out in the middle of a corner. He looks new and just didn't commit to the turn I'd say.

edit: wait maybe he's just still rolling and not trying to get up. I wish you could see the driver's face in these shots!

He had hardware installed in his ankle.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a fun stretch of road! At least there is proof that is wasn't the cager's fault! I always tell people NOT to follow anyone else's pace but their own. Especially my housemate who is just learning and coming out to the cruise I do for Ride Nights on Thursdays...just relax..it's what the night is all about. Not wheelies, stoppies, and crap. It's okay to not be wearing boots...he had ultra armoured socks on!

I've got a young bloke to take out for a hoot this weekend. He's learning and on a 250 Ninja. No showing off just a nice safe ride at a casual pace for a dog or coffee. It's good to see the number of responsible riders more than happy to take some newer folk out and show them the ropes.:thumbup:

During riding season at Deal's Gap (where the incident occured) there are usually 4-6 photographers that set up and shoot all day. They shoot anyone that rides by, hoping the riders will buy their pics off the web.

Killboy is the most (in?)famous. :D His site is worth checking out.

killboy.com - Your Professional Photos from US129 Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap

That's actually pretty cool. Saves the time, effort and rigmarole of setting the camera up on a post. Also means the camera tracks the bike. Very groovy. Thanks for that.:rockon:

I, personally (and I'm definitely no expert...lol) like to ease off the pace immediately when I first notice something that could cause trouble. Be it a car parked on the side of the road (potential 'U' turner) or a pedestrian who could be a crash victim, in shock, taking pics or just out for a stroll. You just never know.
Just the distraction factor can have an effect, so I back off.:thumbup: Also like to signal with brake light to anyone behind me.:D

If you know it's a photographer and you want a good pic, don't go too fast and fall off. Simple...lol.:thumbup:.

Those corners look to have pretty good viz. The road surface looks awesome. He looks to me to have been trying to 'catch' a faster rider.

Hopefully this educates him to get some gear without too much bodily damage:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
oh, and if you know the photographers like you to go slower rather than faster...so a photographer SHOULDN'T be the reason to go too fast.

just check out Rock Store Photos 's description on WHAT TO DO:

What To Do?

Riders and drivers in search of an epic image should also keep in mind that speed does not lead to better pictures. In fact, just the opposite is the case. The faster you are going, and the closer to your limits you find yourself, smoothness will suffer. Since we use very slow shutter speeds, any mid apex correction or jerkiness will result in a blurred image. Stay smooth, be safe, and let’s get you a poster class image.

Going SLOWER is how you get awesome photos like THESE on the street:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! I can't say that I haven't gone into the other lane like that before, but thankfully there's never been a car there.
You live and learn...right? :D

No, good thing I wasn't there. How would you feel if you took out (perhaps killed) another motorcyclist? [this is not directed at anyone in particular]

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, talking about riding beyond your limits. No matter what the cause (target fixation, etc), this shot is just amazing and the rider is damn lucky to be alive.