Oil Light...

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
So after a day of riding on Saturday I went out for some sushi... relax for a few hours... It was around 90 all day I leave my friends at midnight... its about 65 outside

I get on the fizz and start riding... about 2 miles in the oil light comes on... it goes off when I stop at the next light.... turns back on intermittently till I pull over... turn off the bike... check oil... looks great for 1800 miles (since last change) start her up and drive home, about 1hr 15 min... No light on the way... no problems... speeds over 60 and varying RPMs.... The temp bounced from two to 3 bars with the traffic... I have been reluctant to take the bike to work... what do you guys think???

2004 FZ6 Oil change 1800 miles ago
Oh the bike was on a 2 week hiatus before the trip...

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first thought, bad oil sending unit/indicator or whatever the term is.....

Oil pump issues??

Good luck.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I wouldn't ride it until the problem has been found.

Haven't a clue what it might be, sorry. It breaks down to a real problem or a sensor problem. Hopefully it's a sensor problem.

Fred

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
How's the oil level?

The manual says to place the motorcycle on it's center-stand on level ground. If the engine has been running, wait a few minutes before checking to allow all oil to drain into the sump area.

Unscrew the dipstick and wipe it clean. Then, re-insert the dipstick but do not screw it into the block. Remove the dipstick again and see if the oil level is between the low and high marks.

Chances are, your engine is just a hair low on oil, and it's intermittently registering the oil warning light. If the oil level isn't your problem, it could be an oil sensor, or a faulty oil pump. Either of which should be tested and replaced if they're the culprit.

Last edited:

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
turns back on intermittently till I pull over... turn off the bike... check oil... looks great for 1800 miles (since last change) start her up and drive home

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
The oil warning light indicates only low oil level, it has no relevance to pressure or flow. So, either the oil level is too low or you have a faulty connection.

Check the level as mentioned above, and "Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!"

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
So after a day of riding on Saturday I went out for some sushi... relax for a few hours... It was around 90 all day I leave my friends at midnight... its about 65 outside

I get on the fizz and start riding... about 2 miles in the oil light comes on... it goes off when I stop at the next light.... turns back on intermittently till I pull over... turn off the bike... check oil... looks great for 1800 miles (since last change) start her up and drive home, about 1hr 15 min... No light on the way... no problems... speeds over 60 and varying RPMs.... The temp bounced from two to 3 bars with the traffic... I have been reluctant to take the bike to work... what do you guys think???

2004 FZ6 Oil change 1800 miles ago
Oh the bike was on a 2 week hiatus before the trip...

I just looked in the manual and there is no pressure switch. Just an oil level switch. I'd say it's bad if the oil is full. If you really were having pressure issues the engine would be making pretty bad noises.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked this morning... in the lines but toward the bottom... I'm almost 2/3rd the way to an oil change so Ill just do one over the weekend... $15 and 30 minutes later, no problems (crossing fingers)

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Put half a quart in... two hour drive... sounded better, no lights, and ran a bar cooler.... whew....

Thanks for the words guys:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool.. this thread saved me some heartache. My 2004 was doing this very thing yesterday. I checked the level, and it is ~half-way up the hatch marks on the dipstick, but I've been checking it on level ground and on it's tires. Nice to read it should be on the center stand.

Christmas wish list:

1) Factory Yamaha Service Manual. :facepalm:

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
You can also have this problem if the oil is high on the viscosity side or you live in cold temps,the oil gets pumped up high into the gearbox & takes to long to drain back to where the level sensor is leaving the sump momenteraly low, also if your airfilter is dirty or clogged it can cause the oil to be trapped up in the gearbox for it is vented to the inside of the filter & the vacuum slows the flow draining back.