Oil level affecting smooth shifts?

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got some time to ride this week since the weather has gotten nice.

I changed my oil yesterday, (Rotella T 5w40, no filter change). I put the recommended amount in but was still a bit low after checking but still in the hash marks. I oiled the chain and then set off for a quick ride around the neighborhood.

My shifts were really smooth compared to my usual but I noticed the bike was running hot; pushing 205F at low speeds, 190 at around 45.

Today, I added a little bit of oil to get it closer to the middle of the stick. When i went out for a ride, my shifts were back to being clunky. I even shifted to Neutral from first once by accident. :(

The temp was back down at about 185F today.

The weather has been fairly mild and dry and about the same temp today and yesterday.

Could having a low oil level have made the shifting better at the expense of running hot or was it the fact that the chain was freshly oiled yesterday and dry today?

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always fill the oil 3/4 on the hash. Shifting is a lot smoother than when all the way full.

As long as the oil level is within the level mark, it should be fine. Your concern about hotter running engine depending on oil level, as long as you don't overheat, and your oil does not go below or over the fill marks, it's fine.

Over-filling the oil may damage the engine and seals if there's not enough room for the oil to expand as the engine gets hotter.

Is the bike level and not on the sidestand when you check the oil?

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. On the center stand and waited about 2-3 minutes after adding before checking.

It just seems like such a night and day difference but I barely added much oil at all which is why I was wondering if maybe someone else had noticed it as well.