Oil Filter Stuck - help!!

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I tried the strap wrench and it did cave in the filter, initially I thought it was moving, it was, but not in the right direction!

I am really p*ssed off now and will have to use a screw driver.

So what is the deal with Yamaha? all that advice on torque settings and they do this to new bikes, bunch of asses if you ask me. or is it just a ploy to get new owners to pay dealer rates?

Never had this problem before, should have left it to the dealer - never thought I would say that about a simple oil change!!

:(:confused:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If you have the cap wrench, and you can run a sheet metal screw through the side as described..... you won't need the screw driver, and you won't make the mess.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the sumo wrestler is part of the problem with filters sticking. Had a few at school do that, crushed the filter almost (sucks cuz we dont get new ones since its practice).

I've always been told to put old oil of the gasket of a new filter (did it but never knew why) Well instructors gave me the reason behind it. No offense to Star Trek fans buts its those dang "klingons". :spank: Oil has "klingons" in it so it helps stick to surfaces for lubricating purposes. Well put fresh oil on a new filter gasket and snug it up and good luck getting it off for the next oil change. Heat cycles make it like a glue or dare i say a Loctite. The old oil has the klingons beaten and burned to they lose the "sticky" property.

Hope that can helps clear up why filters stick other than sumo man tighting the filter to 10,000 ft-lbs. of torque. :thumbup:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
My factory oil filter was so darned tight, I broke a strap wrench trying to remove it. I resorted to knocking a screwdriver through the filter body with a hammer and used the leverage to remove the filter.

I sure hope I never meet the Japanese person who installed the filter on my bike. He or she could probably twist a persons head right off with their bare hands.:eek:

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I stopped by a parts store on the way home from work and picked up a filter wrench, type with three arms. Got home gave it a try out did not fit. Bacxk to the shop and bought a chain wrench and a pair of filter pliers. Figers crossed one of these work! Going to try the pliers first then the chain.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at a trip to the UK in July, haven't been back since '07
if you're still friggin with this filter then I'll come give you a hand :D

joking dude, good luck :thumbup:

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
I am pleased to say I finally got the filter off - used a chain wrench in the end. Managed it without splitting the filter case - just!! I have adopted the more usual approach of nip it up by hand then give it a quarter of a turn. Seems fine.

Glad I provided a laugh for some of you! I was pretty p"ssed at the time had it been second hand I would not have worried but brand new from the factory?! I hate to think what other problems are going to be experienced! Still it is still within warrantee so will hopefully not find out!

Had a long test ride on the 1050 Triumph Tiger, quick, relaxed, fast but the gearbox on the example I rode was not as slick as the FZ6 (exception being first gear!). Very very tempted but might wait until the new one comes out.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

All the best!