Oil Filter Size?

C

CoolATIGuy

I'm sorry if this has been answered once or a dozen times before, but I've searched and searched for the answer...where can I find a list of the compatible oil filters for the '05 FZ6? I'm thinking K&N or Mobil 1, but don't know which size/model I should be choosing...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Purolator Pure One PL14612 gets my recommendation for it's better fine particle suppression and greater volume.

As they're not available in Australia, I have to get them shipped from the 'States and they're STILL less than half what they want to charge over here.....

The K&N is apparently good, and features a nut on the end for easy removal - but it's fine particle suppression isn't as good, and due to its lower capacity, it needs changing more often.

And ya gotta love the yellow accent on your bike of the Purolator!

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

C

CoolATIGuy

Sorry, I didn't mean to start another "which brand is best" war. :) I was just hunting for a straightforward compatibility breakdown.

Thanks to adberns - that's a very helpful list! However, I'm still somewhat confused...there are oil filters at my local Pepboys labeled "Motorcycle Filter" (Mobil 1 M1MC-134, not sure the model # on the Purolator). The recommended filters on the list in your link were regular automotive filters...is there a difference between the types? Also, before you say "marketing hype", the Motorcycle Filter was actually $1 LESS than the auto filter (although the 108 and 110 both say "Extended Performance/High Efficiency/High Capacity")

I'm sorry to be dense, I'm not super mechanically-intuitive - I'm just not sure why we don't use the filters labeled as Motorcycle Filters. The Mobil 1 M1MC-134 is longer than the M1-108, but shorter than the M1-110 - other than that the filter diameter/filter shape/thread hole diameter seem pretty identical...

Last edited by a moderator:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
While others can chime in, I use "automotive" filters because:

(i) they do the job just as well as "motorcycle-specific" filters (often times there is no difference in the filter, just one has a picture of a motorcycle on it)

(ii) the "auto" filters are usually quite a bit cheaper than motorcycle filters. I think what you've run in to is selecting the top-of-the-line auto filters (like Mobil 1) and comparing them to a motorcycle filter that may not be built the same (although I'm not familiar with Mobil 1's motorcycle filters...).

(iii) again, there just really isn't a good reason to avoid automotive filters for the motorcycle-specific alternatives. In many cases all specifications are the same.

I'm not sure this made a ton of sense. By all means, I'm sure the M1 motorcycle filter (if it fits, which I assumed you checked) will serve you just great. In general, though, if you check out the specs of an "automotive" filter, and they are comparable to what the bike calls for, there's no reason to refuse to buy it just because it doesn't say motorcycle.

If you are really curious, you can always check out Bob Is The Oil Guy for a lot of discussion about oil and filters.

And let us know how the Mobil 1 motorcycle filter turns out!

[Edit]: Here's a nice thread on BITOG about the differences between the filters (or lack thereof). Some guys and gals on there will say it way better than I ever could.

Last edited:
C

CoolATIGuy

Just finished - hot day out there :) - I ended up using:

Mobil 1 M1MC- 134 Motorcycle Oil Filter (color: Black - I think they had metallic silver too) $12.99 Pep Boys
Mobil 1 10w40 Full Synthetic Racing 4T Motor Oil (1/4 qt shy of 3 qts) $9.99/qt Pep Boys

Tips I used (most of them from here, so thanks everyone!)

- Tin foil under the oil drain plug (great idea)
- Had to use the screwdriver through the old filter trick - used light tapping with a hammer to get it in - was running out of options and getting ready for the upteenth trip to the parts store, then remembered this awesome trick!
- Nitrile Gloves ($2 for a pack of 10 from Pep Boys - thin but durable)
- Torque Wrench from Pep Boys, made it much easier than guessing at how much UMPH to give it. Had to pay deposit, but it's a loaner tool, so upon return they credit the entire charge - we'll do that for now until I get my own..
- Extra slow and careful removing drain plug - it's like nicking an artery, so I'm glad I was forewarned!
- Pouring the used oil back in the new now-empty containers (brilliant)

Anywho, it was a success. We'll see if it blows up under me in the next few days... ;) Next up, brake fluid - it won't stop in it's tracks like I think it should even with a fistfull of front brake lever at 20mph. Then coolant empty and fill...

C

CoolATIGuy

And let us know how the Mobil 1 motorcycle filter turns out!

It fit just fine, it's a little longer than the M1-108 and shorter than the M1-110. I had a fram before, not sure what oil they had used...

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
K&N HP 1- 1010

it sits about flush with the chain/front sprocket cover.
changed it tonight actually, with my T6.

$.02 :D

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N HP 1- 1010

it sits about flush with the chain/front sprocket cover.
changed it tonight actually, with my T6.

$.02 :D

And the KN-303 motorcycle filter. About the same, just a 1/2" shorter, and painted black... oh, and with a 17mm hex instead of 1", so it uses the same socket as the drain plug. :D

I buy mine from Amazon, they sell the motorcycle filter cheaper than the auto model.

C

CoolATIGuy

Anywho, it was a success. We'll see if it blows up under me in the next few days... ;) Next up, brake fluid - it won't stop in it's tracks like I think it should even with a fistfull of front brake lever at 20mph. Then coolant empty and fill...

Well, hasn't blown up! :) I even went ahead and also did the brake fluid bleed (front and back) and coolant flush/fill yesterday as well - all that stuff wasn't as bad as I thought! :) The brakes were super easy (with a helper), the coolant was a tad more work but that was partially because I didn't start that until after dark :)

Thanks for all the tips and help here everyone! I'm looking at possibly a chain swap next...hopefully that's not too big a leap..

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Alot of folks cringe at the mention of Fram but that's what I use. It's about 1/3 the cost of Yamaha brand filters and I have never had a problem with any of them.
I use the 6017A Fram.
(For what it's worth: It's already painted black like the Yamaha filters : )

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished - hot day out there :) - I ended up using:

Mobil 1 M1MC- 134 Motorcycle Oil Filter (color: Black - I think they had metallic silver too) $12.99 Pep Boys
Mobil 1 10w40 Full Synthetic Racing 4T Motor Oil (1/4 qt shy of 3 qts) $9.99/qt Pep Boys

Holy crap, that's like a $45 oil change! :eek:
Rotella synthetic = $21/gallon (walmart)
Purolator Pureone = $5 (advance auto)