Oil Filter Nightmare and resolution

Bengine

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, so this is the first time changing my oil myself and the shop I used to do it last time put it on way too tight. It was only ~1000 miles ago too. I had to drain it to replace the one cover I scuffed up when I had a nasty run in with train tracks so I figured go ahead and switch to mobile 1 and a good filter while I'm at it. Started at 2:30 and it took me up to about a half hour ago.

So I've tried 6 tools:
  • First tried a plastic end cap socket tool which didn't have enough strength to get it off (broke)
  • a metal version of the above just slipped off
  • a metal strap wrench type with attached handle would go on and grip but by then I ran out of room to turn the handle. It also started crushing the filter so the end cap wasn't useful anymore for any other type tool
  • I bought a wrench type that could dig in and it just didn't fit with the engine block so close
  • a pair of channel locks couldn't fit for me and had the same problem the metal strap one did
  • so last resort I did the large screwdriver trick and the filter metal casing just tore!

The tool that did the trick is a W173c Strap Filter Wrench. I bought it at advance I'm sure it's other places. It's torn up because of the shards of metal sticking out of the filter due to the screwdriver trick. See how badly the filter is twisted, that was on TIGHT! Now it's time for a well deserved beer.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Good god what did they do put locktight on it lol....it least you got it off and after that I dont know if I would trust that shop to change my brake light bulb

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I didn't go with a K&N based on this thread:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/204-oil-filters-will-fit.html

But I've never had a problem taking off a filter I installed, the dealer installed this one way too tight.

It's also likely the dealer/minimum wage mechanic's apprentice failed to wet the O ring with used oil before installing the new filter.

The rubber gasket will glue itself to the oil pan due to the engine/oil heat, if the surfaces are both dry. Adding a layer of grubby oil ensures that if it does stick, it's not over the entire surface of the ring.

Same deal as with any sort of jar of jelly, or what have you.

With the location of the filter on the FZ6, it's (as you already know) a major PITA to break that stiction.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Simple resolution works like a champ..

1) take the metal end cap filter wrench and drill a small hole in the side of it

2) position it on the filter and tap into place

3) Drive a 2" self tapping screw though the hole in filter wrench you just drilled all the way into the filter. Snug it tight (hint: use a screw gun or electric screwdriver)

I found the filter wrench now had loads of leverage using a ratchet. Even though the filter was on tight, it came right off. You may even put more than one screw in there if you feel you need it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let us not forget the cold chisel to the rim and a hammer. :spank: lol

Like RJ said, its more likely the NOOB didn't lather the rubber gasket with oil during the install and it basically bonded itself in place.

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my first oil change after the dealer did the 600 mile one. Luckily, they died it correctly and it came off very easy with an oil filter housing socket from walmart. They jacked your ish up. I'm glad you got it out without damaging anything else besides the filter.

The oil changes will be easy as pie now :thumbup:

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran into similar problem on a chevy truck. I ended up using a metal filter wrench with a piece of sandpaper on the inside. Tapped it onto the filter with a mallet and it came right off.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I own a wrench just like it!
It kills me that (automotive) manufacturers caution you not to overtighten filters and then they, at the factory, put them on with a jet turbine or something. Safe riding!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Another solution is to ask your barely 110 lb. gf if she would kindly tighten the filter by hand for you. It will probably still be overtightened but will probably come off with only one or two beers.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another solution is to ask your barely 110 lb. gf if she would kindly tighten the filter by hand for you. It will probably still be overtightened but will probably come off with only one or two beers.

Loaners????? You have any loaners??

I used channel locks to get mine off. . . . .

Maybe you need a loaner gf more than me if using channel locks . . . :spank: haha