Oil disappearing and knocking sound under the feet on closed clutch

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Did i read that right; engine oil on the chain?
I'm thinking there are better products out there. Although, IME few last 400 miles. Esp the synthetic ones.
I'm sure engine oil works at the expense of mess & repeated applications. How many miles do you go before lube?

Every other week after a wash, I warm up the chain by going for a ride and then lube it with engine oil, until now, minimum 200 miles (daily commute for 2 weeks) -600 miles, depends, whether I go on a weekend ride.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't get a video on chain tension using a tape yet.

After the chain got lubed (with that motor oil), I did not feel any knocking sound today.
I've tried a handful of times to check it, going fast at 50-70 mph and closing the clutch, didn't feel much. It hasn't been lubed for past 6 weeks (3 weeks I went to India, 3 weeks, it was used daily, in rain and shine and left outside overnight in the mist/light snow)

You don't need a video for that.

The 6 weeks, especially thru the rain, etc without re-lubing isn't good for the chain and it'll dried out and run even tighter...

If its clean and lubed (preferably with o-ring safe lube), follow the pic on page 7-27 of the owners manual I sent you. Its easy and as little as a half inch too tight from spec's WILL be noticeable.

Scott

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike was sounding horrible when coasting to a stop with the clutch in, lots of vibes and sounded like the transmission was about to come apart. I usually wash and lube it every week, but it had been almost a month at this point. I hadn't had it off since i got the thing so I pulled off the sprocket cover. Was completely disgusting. I used 2 cans of carb cleaner and pulled out 3 handfulls of oily crud. My hands were stained for several days. Got it cleaned out and the chain all lubed up and shiny, was as smooth as butter after that. I had never realized what a difference a clean happy chain made.