Fz 600 Questions

travgag

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I bought a 1986 fz 600 for 500 bucks, everything seams good I've put about 100 k on it so far, it has 29 000 on it.

fz600.jpg

I have a few questions, I changed the oil and put in Bel-Ray exl 10w-40. Were is the oil level supposed to be, with the bike not running and up right the mark is half way in the glass, now when the bike is laying on the kick stand or running its not in the sight at all, is that how much is supposed to be in the bike ? its only about 2 quarts.

Also I got a oil light when going up hill or accelerating hard, is this normal ?

The clutch seams to slip also, I dont know the past of the bike, so the clutch might be worn out since it engages at the end, doesn't feel too tight either.
Ive read if you have a wrong oil, not enough or too much it ill cause it to slip also

I bought a oil filter and was going to change it, but the bike has a pro sport after market exhaust and i don't think I can change the filter without taking them off. does that make sense ? and if i try to change it should i buy a gasket, so i know the cover wont leak when i put it back on ?

fzz.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions and input

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I bought a 1986 fz 600 for 500 bucks, everything seams good I've put about 100 k on it so far, it has 29 000 on it.

fz600.jpg

I have a few questions, I changed the oil and put in Bel-Ray exl 10w-40. Were is the oil level supposed to be, with the bike not running and up right the mark is half way in the glass, now when the bike is laying on the kick stand or running its not in the sight at all, is that how much is supposed to be in the bike ? its only about 2 quarts.

Also I got a oil light when going up hill or accelerating hard, is this normal ?

The clutch seams to slip also, I dont know the past of the bike, so the clutch might be worn out since it engages at the end, doesn't feel too tight either.
Ive read if you have a wrong oil, not enough or too much it ill cause it to slip also

I bought a oil filter and was going to change it, but the bike has a pro sport after market exhaust and i don't think I can change the filter without taking them off. does that make sense ? and if i try to change it should i buy a gasket, so i know the cover wont leak when i put it back on ?

fzz.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions and input

The oil amount is sometimes stamped on a side case. And yes, its usually checked on the center stand or if not equipped, sitting STRAIGHT UP. Most bikes have you warm them up, turn it off and let it sit for 2-3 minutes or so to drain down. Then check the level. If the engines running, oil is circulating, don't even bother looking at the site glass...

The oil light is probably an oil amount, NOT PRESSURE switch. If the oil is on the low side and your not level it may activate the sensor. I'd first try filling the oil level to uppper end. The sensor may be bad too but if its working other than that, its probably ok.. If the oil filter is clogged, it could prevent oil from getting back into the sump quick enough, not likely, but possible...

As for the clutch, make sure you DON'T USE "energy conserving oil". I prefer MC specific oil although others will disagree. The transmission tends to shear the oil molecules... Make sure you have enough free play, 1/4" or so play in the clutch lever too. Change the oil and filter and see if it helps... You may need new friction plates and maybe steels. You won't know until you pull the clutch if needed. I'd get a oil cover gasket (probably an O-ring) just in case (as if you don't have one, you know it'll friggin leak). Cheap enough too... You don't want that leaking in ft of the rear tire/running the engine out of oil... Make sure all the dirt and crap is cleaned away from the oil filter housing before you remove it. The bolt holding it shouldn't have to come out far to release the cover..

Good luck

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful when you remove the oil filter, that design was common with 70's and 80's Japanese bikes and was a PITA. That bolt is prone to corrosion and since it is cheap pot metal the tendency is to bugger up the bolt unless you have a good fitting box end wrench, and even then sometimes it will get messed up leaving the only option to saw off the bolt head and replacing it. On a 25 year old bike that may not be too easy. Use some WD40 to see if you can loosen up the bolt first. Good luck.