Why not lube your clutch cable today?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's been talked about before, but I want to mention again to anybody that may have missed or dismissed it.

I spent some time after work a few days this past week to do some routine maintenance on my Fizz. I changed the oil. Installed new spark plugs (not exactly easy, but yes, you can do it yourself without dismantling the bike) And I lubed and adjusted the clutch cable. What a difference!

Yes, I probably shouldn't have waited 10K miles before doing this. Whatever, I'm glad I did it now. It's an amazing difference. I am able to pull out and shift so much smoother now. And clutch modulation feels much more analog and real. (if that makes any sense.)

1. Buy this (or similar set up)
resize_cablecare.jpg

2. Unscrew / remove the adjuster nut near the clutch lever
3. Disconnect the clutch cable from the right side of the engine (note, there be be a little metal tab that you have to bend out of the way. I was getting really annoyed that I couldn't remove the cable end until I saw this)
4. You now have enough slack up front to attach the luber device.
5. Clamp it down USA style. i.e. Tighten the $hit out of it!
6. Place paper towels/rags around and under the newly removed cable end from the right side of the engine. Have a helper watch this bit so you know when to stop shooting lube.
7. Place many paper towels/rags on/under/over/around the the lubing device and start spraying. Don't stop until your helper says that clean lube is coming out the other end.
8. Ok, you may have to stop a few times to tighten the luber device even more than you thought it needed. I'm telling you - clamp that thing down tight.
9. Put it back together
10. Adjust cable/lever play using the adjusting nut.
11. Wash bike (the rags didn't help much did they?)
12. Ride, but be be careful pulling out the first time. Clutch adjustments can really change things.

Maybe one day I'll add pics to this write up...