Another newbie question - wheel spinning in neutral

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil and filter and now I notice the rear wheel spins ~15 RPM in neutral when on the center stand. I read this is normal but it did just start after this oil change for me. I put in 10/40 Yamalube as specified. Might this be caused by over-filling? - the dip stick has it right to the top and I did measure the volumes going in @2.8 L. I will check to see if this still happens after the oil temp is up. Not panicking - just curious. I did also clean, lube and slightly tighten the chain and torqued the axle - all to spec. I was having other issues with downshifting to first which seems to have been fixed with the oil change and lubing the linkages.
Thanks

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil and filter and now I notice the rear wheel spins ~15 RPM in neutral when on the center stand. I read this is normal but it did just start after this oil change for me. I put in 10/40 Yamalube as specified. Might this be caused by over-filling? - the dip stick has it right to the top and I did measure the volumes going in @2.8 L. I will check to see if this still happens after the oil temp is up. Not panicking - just curious. I did also clean, lube and slightly tighten the chain and torqued the axle - all to spec. I was having other issues with downshifting to first which seems to have been fixed with the oil change and lubing the linkages.
Thanks

Had this happened to me after the first time I changed my oil as well, everyone said it was normal.

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had three "clutched bikes" over the years and it was never normal - which is why I posted the question. But thanks anyway vin.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had three "clutched bikes" over the years and it was never normal - which is why I posted the question. But thanks anyway vin.

I’m sorry that you don’t like the answer, but I’ve owned nearly 30 motorcycles since 1973, all with clutches, and every single one of them have done this. If it helps your understanding I can give you the technical reason why it happens.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for normal. It's just the fluid (engine oil) transmitting some rotation from the main shaft to the drive shaft inside the gearbox.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, last night I didn’t have time to properly respond to this because I was in the middle of making dinner and was killing time waiting for water to boil. Now that I’m drinking my morning coffee…

The rear tire spins when the bike is on the stand due to parasitic drag on clutch. This is especially true when the engine and oil are cold. Your countershaft sprocket is directly linked to the output shaft on the clutch. When the bike is on the stand and there is little drag on the final drive there is enough friction in between the rotating input shaft and the clutch basket that it will cause the output shaft to turn.

Use this phenomena to your advantage and lube your chain while the rear tire free-wheels.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
"Use this phenomena to your advantage and lube your chain while the rear tire free-wheels."

That is exactly what I do. I've done this on all my chain-driven bikes.
I've never seen a chain-driven bike not spin the rear tire in neutral, while in the stand. Even my old trail 70 did it. I suppose a dry clutch wouldn't, though. So, maybe op had a couple bikes with a dry clutch?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a CT70H as well - Candy Emerald Green. Maybe my favorite bike from my youth.

You are right, a dry clutch will not do this. So if the OP had 3 Italian motorcycles that would explain the lack of free wheeling.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, last night I didn’t have time to properly respond to this because I was in the middle of making dinner and was killing time waiting for water to boil. Now that I’m drinking my morning coffee…

The rear tire spins when the bike is on the stand due to parasitic drag on clutch. This is especially true when the engine and oil are cold. Your countershaft sprocket is directly linked to the output shaft on the clutch. When the bike is on the stand and there is little drag on the final drive there is enough friction in between the rotating input shaft and the clutch basket that it will cause the output shaft to turn.

Really it's not parasitic drag on / with the clutch. The clutch is engaged turning the input shaft (lever NOT pulled in).

Agreed thou, the thick, cold oil keeps the input shaft and output shaft turning together with that oil (IN NEUTRAL).
Should you grab the back wheel (in neutral), it would stop.

Never bothered screwing with it, but should someone remember, try the CC with the engine hot and see how much the wheel turns in neutral..