Ohlins Rear Shock Installed

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I should show installation pictures, but I believe someone already has. Simple, Simple, simple.
4889024079_ce810c50ca.jpg

1. Put your FZ6 up on its center stand.
2. Remove Saddle
3. Remove side panels that cover electrical.
4. Remove Rear Hugger
5. Remove Top bolt, when removing the bolt push down on rear of bike,
relieving pressure on bolt, when bolt is removed, release rear end and rear
rear tire will stay on ground.
6. Remove lower bolt holding the nut so it does not spin.
7. Cut the plastic underneath the left side of the top bolt next to the saddle
release lock, (I did not cut enough, should have cut right next to the lock.
4889621062_4b7993fa22.jpg

8. Choose which side you would like your hydraulic adjuster on. (I went against the grain and put it on the right side). You can find many places to put it, some put it underneath the seat.
9. Attach the top bolt first, not tightening it all the way.
10. Attach the bottom bolt, using the new shorter spacer they supply. (you might want to adjust your ride height now (I raised mine 1/2 inch). When ready to put the bottom bolt in, again put some weight on the rear of the motorcycle, and ease the bolt in.
11. Now tighten both bolts to proper torque.
12. Attach your hydraulic adjuster where you want it.
13. Make sure the hose is somewhere it will not rub. I put some heat shield on the hose and Zip-tied it.
14. Put side panels back on.
15. Put saddle back on.
16. You are done.
4889620484_ed4b39cff0.jpg
4889620156_62d0e2751e.jpg
4889024257_700c489844.jpg

4889662358_12085ae5ca.jpg

The ride difference is incredible. The rear tire sticks better to the road. I put about 100 miles on it today, It felt like a completely different bike. Just smooth and responsive, the acceleration was better as well, less drop in the rear end due to the stock shocks lack of high speed and low speed damping adjustments. AMAZING!!!!!!!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
HOT

The first time I rode my bike at speed after installing the rear shock and R6 forks was at the track...I was beside myself. I thought "so this is what an SS must feel like". I noticed the bike stayed much more stable under hard braking/downshifting (masking poor inputs and such) as well as what you mentioned above.

:thumbup:

Scottn

Carbon Fiber Addict
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Makes me wish so much that we had a track around here for me to really test this bike out on. I am now using some of the really nice roads out east of Colorado Springs to let loose a bit. Kind of a bummer and not as controlled as I would like.

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Scottn! Just by curiosity, how did you setup the shock?

A friend of mine came the other day and we managed to take measurements and find sag and all that.
I did a small trip and I liked the behavior of the bike, but today I find my back hurting because of the stiffness of the suspension. I would prefer it to be softer, I travel a lot, but I know that then the sag will be totally different. Also, when I tried softening it a bit, on my way back home, I got the "wobbling" effect, which scared the hell out of me, so I put back the previous adjustments....

The mechanic that mounted it, had used the default setup, which was not very far from what I have now, but I don't remember it cause I didn't write it down! :banghead:

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
How much was the shock and where did you buy it from?

I was quoted $555 today

Thanks

Last edited:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
How much was the shock and where did you buy it from?

I was quoted $555 today

Thanks

That is a good price for an Ohlins. Where did you get the quote from?

The rare times that they are available used, they usually go for about $550. I don't think that I've ever seen a new Ohlins with a remote reservoir for less than $700.