Off Road?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I see a lot of photos of FZ6s on dirt and gravel roads... Is that OK for the FZ6 to do some lite off road work like a Versys???:don'tknow:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to live on 1/2 mile of gravel road and had to drive it every time I rode...won't hurt anything but you will want to clean your chain after riding on a dusty gravel road or do what I did and ride along the edge of the road in the grass at 15 mph. :(

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode mine through a stream last weekend. Technically, I didn't even have to go off road. Heavy rains the day prior created localized flooding and a stream ran over the road I was traveling. It was only about 10-12 inches deep. I was coming back from a long ride and had not anticipated the detour. After watching a GMC Jimmy drive through, I decided it was doable. I was too lazy to backtrack and go around it.

The good news was, not only did I make it through just fine, but I also found a new seating position. After I realized my boots were completely soaked from the wake of my front tire, I instinctively lifted my legs up. They just sort of came to rest on top of the tank with my ankles under my hands. I'm 6'3" with long legs, so I was surprised they fit so well. Might use it in the future to stretch my legs, instead of standing up.

The bad news was, I forgot that I had just washed and detailed my bike a few days prior. So now my swingarm, chain guard, and hugger are all dirty.

As far as off road... as long as it's packed you should be okay. Of course you're going to get your bike a bit dirty, but it's not too bad. The biggest things to watch out for are your inputs. Be careful applying throttle, brakes, or turning. Street tires are going to be your limiting factor. Fire roads are okay. I avoid sand, mud, and even deep gravel.

If you find yourself venturing off payment more than sporadically, you have 90 days to purchase a dual sport style helmet with a visor. If not, the guys from advrider will hunt you down.

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm very interested in more opinions on this, because I just sold a bike and I'm struggling with the decision of what to buy next, an FZ-6 or a Versys.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If you plan on driving on dirt roads fairly regular then the Versys would be your bike. The FZ6 does a lot of things brilliantly but dirt roads is not one of those things.

I know this is a FZ6 forum but I have to say the Versys is a excellent do all bike. It's not great at any one thing but if you want one bike for bad roads, dirt roads, running to the store, weekend tours the Versys would be a great choice.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just throw on a good set of dual sport tires and it will be fine. no worse than any other standard bike. you can not expect it to be a dirt bike and jump over rocks, etc but it would do fine.

this guy did it on street tires
And in this corner....the FZ6. - ADVrider

i ride mine on gravel/dirt secondary roads all the time and it does just fine.

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking it would be a good idea to lower your tire pressure if your going to do a lot of off road:rolleyes:
Won't slide around as much.:eek:

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
If you plan on driving on dirt roads fairly regular then the Versys would be your bike. The FZ6 does a lot of things brilliantly but dirt roads is not one of those things.

I know this is a FZ6 forum but I have to say the Versys is a excellent do all bike. It's not great at any one thing but if you want one bike for bad roads, dirt roads, running to the store, weekend tours the Versys would be a great choice.

Yeah, the Versys would be better off road because of the torque curve of the parallel twin. I would expect the more upright riding position and higher bars to make it easier to ride standing up as well. That said, neither is designed for off road. They both have 17 inch wheels. If you're going to be doing a lot of off road, I would look past both bikes (maybe DL650 or KLR650). If you're just going to be using fire roads and packed trails, either one will get the job done. The Versys will be more comfortable in that environment, but you sacrifice the sportiness of the FZ6 on road. It's all trade-offs.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I agree a real dual sport bike would be best if it will see a lot of dirt. But with the two choices given the Versys wins.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8RlXLr_w_Q]YouTube - Kawasaki versys 650 trail - real Dual SPORT[/ame]

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just throw on a good set of dual sport tires and it will be fine. no worse than any other standard bike. you can not expect it to be a dirt bike and jump over rocks, etc but it would do fine.

this guy did it on street tires
And in this corner....the FZ6. - ADVrider

i ride mine on gravel/dirt secondary roads all the time and it does just fine.

He sure did! Thanks for linking.

The bike itself is good for gravel etc.

Why? Because from a V-Strom

DSC02386.jpg

to an FZ6

IMG_0905.jpg

to an R1....

2002-03-01-SjaakLucassenR1Sahara-2-LG.jpg

the main thing that matters on gravel and dodgy back dirt roads is tires mainly. Of less importance (but still very important) is suspension travel, spoked vs cast iron wheels, skid plates, engine guards, and peg/handlebar position.

For what you say you want to do things that won't matter:

suspension travel
spoked vs cast iron wheels
engine guards
....and to a slightly lesser extent a skid plate....gravel can very quickly become quite rocky terrain and big rocks all over the place do many having a skid plate a good thing.

so that leaves you with two main things:

tires
peg/handlebar position

you can actually mount a couple sets of supermoto tires on the FZ6 rims. IIRC the better option was the superconti's.

peg/handlebar position is mainly to give you a nice and upright seating position because of the inspiration and confidence it gives.

^IMO

But I enjoyed this more on my new bike yesterday:

IMG_0344.jpg

You can go more places and it's more enjoyable when you're out there. Nothing can stop you and any place you can point, you can go.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say on the large chunky gravel you might want something to protect the O2 sensor, but if its that loose I don't you'd be going so fast anyways. Also the calipers of any bike are subject to pebbles being lodged so listen up for strange noises.

Of course this type of use also reduces your PM intervals for oil and filters, chains, brakes, shock were etc.

ag_streak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, all, I'm gonna resurrect this thread from last year because when I joined the forum at that time, I was debating buying a Versys or an FZ-6. Well, I bought a 2011 Versys and had a great time with it on some dirt roads and all, but I sold it recently and I'm picking up a 2008 FZ-6 this Saturday.

Anyway, I thought y'all might enjoy some perspective on the Versys off-road...

ADVrider - View Single Post - Versys owners checkin

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddies and I did 3 miles beyond this sign, and my FZ is bone stock. She wasn't great at it, but not terrible, I never got stuck, the CB750 on the other hand.... lol.

536732_2965143210037_1305330380_32485480_1311279361_n.jpg