OEM chain size for a '07 FZ6

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing in the manual about our chain size... does anyone know what size our FZ6's stock chain is? I am thinking of going one up on the front sprocket to reduce RPM on the highway. Obvioulsy, I need to know what chain size I have before I buy the sprocket...

Thanks
Richard

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm fairly sure I read that it is a 530, but I'm sorry I can't find the reference.

I'm curious though what the final top gear RPM drop would be by going one tooth larger at the counter shaft sprocket, if you try it.

Also, what's the RPM gain if you drop the counter shaft sprocket 1 tooth (from someone that may have gone the other way)?

H

HavBlue

530 it is but you may not care for the end result of switching to that 17T counter. The bike will be very lazy on the low end. Also, that engine is a rev machine and it really doesn't work well without that RPM. You can run 70mph in 4th gear all day long and still only be at 50% of the rated RPM scale with the stock 16T. Some people don't like the fact it always seems to be screaming like an F1 car but this is the beauty of it all and exactly what it was designed to do.
The FZ6, in my opinion, doesn't even stretch its legs out until it gets above 9,000 rpm.

H

HavBlue

JOOC, what is a good chain "upgrade" for the FZ6? I tried a forum search, but came up blank.

I'm not one for simply changing chains. When I do switch it's a complete set, chain and sprockets. The 530 chain from the factory should last 25,000 miles no problem with the proper adjustments and maintenance. You may switch to the 520 with a new set of sprockets but why? Is there an issue with the 530?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
No...I don't have any issues with the OEM chain....it's only 2500 km's old, so it has plenty of life left in it. What I do have an issue with is the constant need to lubricate it. Surely in 2007 there is a chain available that either doesn't require lube every other week or runs longer without cleaning and lubing.

R

Raid The Revenge

I'm going to make this recommendation and leave the room. Anything you say I won't read.

--Try an X-Ring chain.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No...I don't have any issues with the OEM chain....it's only 2500 km's old, so it has plenty of life left in it. What I do have an issue with is the constant need to lubricate it. Surely in 2007 there is a chain available that either doesn't require lube every other week or runs longer without cleaning and lubing.
Hate to say it to, but thats called maintainence. Why not fit a scotoiler. On a MCN test bike they only had two chain adjustments in 9000 miles with a scotoiler.

H

HavBlue

Biker Bill said it, belt drive.....

I will however say they have made auto oilers but I have never used one and I had heard they were a mess. I lube and clean my chain every 500 miles and pretty much do nothing in between times. I clean the chain with a tooth brush and solvent then go back and grease it with a marine grade wheel bearing grease. The rest is sealed in the O ring type chain so whats to lube? I usually let the grease set for a day then go back and wipe is off so it doesn't splatter the back end and make a mess of the wheel. So, after 14,000 miles I have no rust, no funny wear patterns in the sprockets and it runs quiet... What more could I ask for in a chain drive?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
In 1963, I lubed my first motorcycle chain (Reynolds, IIRC) by removing it, washing it in kerosine, rinsing off with hot water, drying it off with compressed air, and then putting it into a tin that contained melted chain lube till the lube 'set', then wiping off the excess and reinstalling the chain.
I guess we haven't advanced that much since then.
I've also had bikes with automatic chain oilers, both intentional and unintentional....they either don't work at all or lube the entire left rear of the bike.
I love the concept of belt drive....but am cold to the bikes that they're on.
I think there's a fortune to be made in a no-need-to-service chain. ;)

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about a fully enclosed chain. Much less messy, protected from 90% of dirt and water. I am sure the maintenance would be reduced dramatically.

Not very stylish thou. :eek:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
In 1963, I lubed my first motorcycle chain (Reynolds, IIRC) by removing it, washing it in kerosine, rinsing off with hot water, drying it off with compressed air, and then putting it into a tin that contained melted chain lube till the lube 'set', then wiping off the excess and reinstalling the chain.

I remember doing that. You had to place the tin on the gas stove to to heat it up so that the grease became liquid. Not at all a messy process :D

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
A guy I know didn't lube or clean his chain all season and his looks no worse than mine.... hmmm, makes me wonder sometimes if all this chain lubing is a waste of time for a few extra miles out of the chain and sprockets... it would be nice to see some data on a set that didn't get lubed...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A guy I know didn't lube or clean his chain all season and his looks no worse than mine.... hmmm, makes me wonder sometimes if all this chain lubing is a waste of time for a few extra miles out of the chain and sprockets... it would be nice to see some data on a set that didn't get lubed...
Just compare yours with your mates?

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy the way, is there someone who did chain conversion to 520 size or 525 for lightweight solution and lower friction? Do you think this modify is just superstition? Of cource, I know there are no one who compare on same condition.

Incidentally, latest R6 using 525 size as standard.:Flash: